Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Post by Sarge »

I've started to adjust, too. I thought the SN30 Pro was going to help that a lot, but I'm not terribly happy with the build quality on the d-pad. It's still not perfect, but I'm learning how to use it fairly well. It's not so bad in games where you don't have to worry about diagonals a whole lot. Kirby: Star Allies has been just fine in portable mode.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

A lot of Metroidvania's released recently, but I think the Ninja Gaiden styled The Messenger looks way cooler than a lot of recent releases. It's got some gimmick where you seamlessly shift between 8bit and 16bit worlds.

NES Ninja Gaiden Director Hideo Yoshizawa and Composer Keiji Yamagishi share their thoughts:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/28/wa ... messenger/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7647 ... Messenger/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The Messenger looks legit yeah
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

So many good modern retro games, here are some more obscure ones that most have probably never heard of:

1) Super Cyborg: Awesome contra clone, very difficult, but you do have a save feature and infinite continues to help get you through it, a must play for fans of contra.

2) Fist slash: A ninja gaiden clone, easily could have been done on the nes, I have never actually completed this game because of an obscenely hard last world but it keeps me coming back and playing it every so often, really fun game.

3) Mother Russia Bleeds: beat em up, lots of fun, great retro aesthetic, and lots of gore if your into that sort of thing.

I could list hundreds of games like this but I'll leave it at these 3 for now, I'll post more another time.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Initial reviews of The Messenger appear to be pretty good. Only criticisms that I've seen raised are some challenging difficulty for some jumps, combined with an inability to remap inputs; second was there's a lot of backtracking involved towards the end of the game that seems to throw off the tempo. Specifically, that second criticism raised the question that it's a great Ninja Gaiden platformer, but then they switched gears and went for a more Metroidvania game and execution could've been better?

Regardless, the game looks cool and I think I'll probably pick it up.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Style yes, visuals no, but that Bloodstained game looks to be closing in and it just got a GoG listing today too (and people howling the NES style one isn't listed.)

That Messenger ninja gaiden looking game seems like it might be nice.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Blu wrote:Initial reviews of The Messenger appear to be pretty good. Only criticisms that I've seen raised are some challenging difficulty for some jumps, combined with an inability to remap inputs; second was there's a lot of backtracking involved towards the end of the game that seems to throw off the tempo. Specifically, that second criticism raised the question that it's a great Ninja Gaiden platformer, but then they switched gears and went for a more Metroidvania game and execution could've been better?

Regardless, the game looks cool and I think I'll probably pick it up.

Challenging difficulty... criticism, tell them to GTFO. :lol:

I'm surprised at how small the Steam numbers are for it so far, despite it getting some nice coverage these last few days. I was hoping it'd get a lot of attention, guess not. Maybe it'll sell a lot on the Switch as the trend goes lately though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Did anyone here get around to The Messenger? I heard mixed things overall, but I still want to check it out.

Now, Timespinner really caught my eye and our resident PartridgeSenpai beat it recently with a nice beefy review here. Wow, this game came out of nowhere and looks amazing. I'm all for it!

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Whoa. Will that be on Switch? Callin' it a day with Steam.

(Doesn't look like we'll get CrossCode on Switch :? :? :? )
ralphyua
8-bit

Post by ralphyua »

Just joined. Didn't know a forum like this existed. Guess it pays to search harder. I'm glad that modern retro games are still a thing. I hope to buy The Messenger when it goes on sale. Been waiting for Bloodlines to go on sale for the longest time as well. The thing I like about some of these modern retro games is that they are cheaper to purchase, you can experience them in 5-6 hours, then replay them or move on. I remember some of the older NES games would draw out the process by making you back track a lot, or they would put in a completely ridiculous puzzle you would spend hours solving (i.e. kneeling on a block for several seconds so a tornado will take you to a different part of the level). I just don't have time for that anymore. That's why games like Shovel Knight are right up my alley.
Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter