Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Post by pook99 »

ralphyua wrote:Almost forgot to ask. Does anybody know of a good Zelda style game on Steam? I'm talking about the original Zelda where you get a 3/4 top down view of the world. Most of the good retro stuff I have seen lately has been 2D side scrollers.

anodyne is a pretty well received zelda clone.

Evilquest is a fun zelda style game that has you playing as the villain.
ralphyua
8-bit

Post by ralphyua »

I may try anodyne. Definitely has that Zelda feel to it. It actually almost has too much of a Zelda feel. It's kind of like Venture Kid where I like the 8-bit graphics that remind me of Mega Man, but I also feel that it looks too much like Mega Man if that makes any sense.
Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

ralphyua wrote:I may try anodyne. Definitely has that Zelda feel to it. It actually almost has too much of a Zelda feel. It's kind of like Venture Kid where I like the 8-bit graphics that remind me of Mega Man, but I also feel that it looks too much like Mega Man if that makes any sense.

I get where you are coming from, there definitely are some retro indies that look so much like their source material that it just makes you feel like you are playing a cheap knock off. For me it is always about gameplay so I don't care about stuff like that, but I can see how it can be off putting.

Venture kid was an okayish game but is the perfect example of what you are talking about, it looks like mega man, kind of plays like mega man, but lacks a lot of what makes mega man so great. There are far better mega man style games out there.

On the subject of games that borrow too heavily from their source material, have you ever played Super Cyborg? I don't know if you are into contra but that game is a huge knock off of contra, you play as 2 robots, which look exactly the same as the 2 robots featured in the japanese version of contra (probotector), and when you beat the game you unlock clones of the 2 contra guys. The weapons are also mostly the same as contra, including an overpowered spread gun. I'm actually surprised the developers didnt get sued by konami, it is a pretty kick ass game though and well worth playing if your into that style of game.
ralphyua
8-bit

Post by ralphyua »

I liked Contra growing up as a kid. I always did the thirty guys cheat because it was so hard. For some reason I didn't like the later versions of Contra but got into the Metal Slug series. Personally, I enjoyed the Mega Man and Castlevania series the most from the NES era.

So that's a pass on Venture Kid. What Mega Man style games would you say are good?
Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Shovel Knight is like the ultimate love letter to the NES all around but plays the most off of the Mega Man formula. Doesn't get much better!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

For gaming love letters, you really can’t beat Locamolito’s output. Cursed Castilla is pretty much the best Ghouls ‘n Ghosts game of all time, and Super Hydorah is the best Gradius game in over a decade. I still haven’t beaten either (because they’re both, like their inspirations, super tough), it I recommend them to anyone looking for a great throwback.

Also, for a good Zelda homage, check out Ittle Dew. It is a pretty great, very puzzle-intensive Zelda game. I loved it, and I am sad that I don’t have a system capable of playing its sequel.
ralphyua
8-bit

Post by ralphyua »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:For gaming love letters, you really can’t beat Locamolito’s output. Cursed Castilla is pretty much the best Ghouls ‘n Ghosts game of all time, and Super Hydorah is the best Gradius game in over a decade. I still haven’t beaten either (because they’re both, like their inspirations, super tough), it I recommend them to anyone looking for a great throwback.

Also, for a good Zelda homage, check out Ittle Dew. It is a pretty great, very puzzle-intensive Zelda game. I loved it, and I am sad that I don’t have a system capable of playing its sequel.

You know what is funny. I was just trying to figure out who made that Ghost 'n Goblins type game but couldn't find it on Google again. I gave up trying, then came here and saw your post about Locamolito. Thanks for that.

May give Ittle Dew a try. I was surprised it had a maturity rating protection on it given the title graphics. Already tried Shovel Knight several times. Beaten the game three times and played through all the current new packs. Just waiting for the last one to drop.
Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

ralphyua wrote:I liked Contra growing up as a kid. I always did the thirty guys cheat because it was so hard. For some reason I didn't like the later versions of Contra but got into the Metal Slug series. Personally, I enjoyed the Mega Man and Castlevania series the most from the NES era.

So that's a pass on Venture Kid. What Mega Man style games would you say are good?

Mega Man and Castlevania are 2 of my all time favorite game franchises, right next to Mario and street fighter

Before we could talk about Mega Man style games , have you ever played any Mega Man fan games? There are several that are flat out amazing.

Mega Man Unlimited is easily one of the best, if not the best, mega man game ever made. Awesome levels, awesome weapons, and a great challenge make it an absolute must play for any mega man fan.

Mega Man x street fighter is a mega man game where instead of robot masters you fight characters from the street fighter series and instead of wilys castle the game ends with levels based around balrog, vega, and M Bison(sagat makes an appearance also but he is a hidden character)

Mega Man Rock force is a game where everytime you beat a boss you not only unlock their weapon but also get to play as a member of the rock force which consist of characters such as bombman, cuts man, hard man, knight man, and other old robot bosses.

Mega Man Super fighting robots is a solid game as well, it adds nothing new to the MM formula but it carries it out well and is worth a play through, it is also on the easier side so you may enjoy this more than a game like MM unlimited which is really hardcore.

Outside of that some good MM clones on steam you may want to check out are:

rosenkreuzstillette: mega man clone with 16/32 bit sprite graphics that has you playing as some kind of angel

ARES: more of an action shooter than a mega man clone but it does play similarly and you will likely enjoy it if you are a fan

20xx: havent played this yet, heard lots of great things, its a roquelite that draws heavy inspiration from mega man x series

Angry video game nerd adventures 1 and 2: inspired by mega man but also spoofs old videogames, both games are fun and both games will kill you a lot.

Azure striker gunvolt/mighty gunvolt burst (switch)

Those are some to get you started. definitely play mm unlimited if you havent already, it really is an amazing game. As for venture kid, its not a terrible game, it is okay for what it is, if you see it on sale for a few bucks I dont think you will regret it but I think the asking price of $10 is a bit much for it.

Also, have you played Mega Man 11 yet? What are your thoughts on it if you have?
ralphyua
8-bit

Post by ralphyua »

Wow, I didn't even know all those Mega Man fan games existed. Right now, I'm trying Curse of Issyos that I found the other day. I'll definitely look for Mega Man unlimited when I'm done with that game. I have not tried Mega Man 11 yet. The problem is the price point at the moment. $30.00 is a pretty hefty price tag compared to the past releases. I think I bought Mega Man 9 for ten bucks on the Wii a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't think Capcom ever holds sales. I guess I just need to get a higher paying job. No wait, I need to get a job. :lol:
Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

ralphyua wrote:Wow, I didn't even know all those Mega Man fan games existed. Right now, I'm trying Curse of Issyos that I found the other day. I'll definitely look for Mega Man unlimited when I'm done with that game. I have not tried Mega Man 11 yet. The problem is the price point at the moment. $30.00 is a pretty hefty price tag compared to the past releases. I think I bought Mega Man 9 for ten bucks on the Wii a few years back. Unfortunately, I don't think Capcom ever holds sales. I guess I just need to get a higher paying job. No wait, I need to get a job. :lol:

Capcom holds steam sales all the time so with a little patience you will get a deal, I bought it 2 days after release for $20 (i think from fanatical). Check websites like isthereanydeal.com and reddit game deal forums as well as key sites like g2a.com if your buying it on PC.

I LOVED mega man 11, i thought it was the perfect way to bring the blue bomber into the modern age. It retains everything you love about mega man with enough new stuff to keep it fresh. The fan games I listed above will keep you busy for a bit and by the time you are done with them you should start seeing some sales for MM 11, I would be willing to wager that it will go on sale either for black friday, or the steam holiday sale. In the meantime here are some links:

Mega Man unlimited : https://megaman-unlimited.en.uptodown.c ... s/download

Sf x megam man: http://megaman.capcom.com/sfxmm/sfxmm_dl_uk.html

rock force: http://megamanrockforce.com/rockforcedownload.html

MM super fighting robots: https://nicoblog.org/pc-games/mega-man- ... t-fangame/

A few of them don't have native joystick support, but using joy2key or xpadder will fix that, I personally used joy2key and they played like a dream.