Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
chuckster
24-bit

Favorite High Score Games?

by chuckster Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 pm

I've recently gotten into twin-stick shooters and I've finally found games that make me really want to play just to chase a higher and higher score. This seems like a motivation that has waned in most games (Shmups aside) so, just like the title says, what are your favorite games where your personal motivation is going for a high score? Any genre, any generation, any platform.

My new-found love is Robotron 2084. I'd played Super Smash TV quite a bit and it's really fun, especially co-op, but the gameshow setup and boss fights give it a sense of progression which motivates me a lot more than my score. Robotron caught my eye due to it's similarity and awesome visuals, and now I'm hooked. It's super fast paced and as simple as it gets (shoot robots, save humans), but there's just something about it that keeps bringing me back even though I'm horrible. I'm playing on Arcade's Greatest Hits on SNES.

This also brings back memories of Gridwars, anther twin-stick shooter. It's a freeware Geometry Wars clone and it was pretty popular. As a kid without broadband or Xbox Live, this thing was awesome back in 2006 or so when I found it. I may have to fire it back up soon.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite High Score Games?

by Nemoide Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm

I've got a few favorites:
Rhythm games, especially Dance Dance Revolution and Beatmania IIDX. DDR is fun to play on its own, but I have a constant desire to improve and that means high scores! I was setting records in an arcade this past weekend and loving it. IIDX has a brutal learning curve, but that makes the score even more important!
I've also started playing Groove Coaster and Sound Voltex in the arcade, but am not really going for high scores just yet - I'm sure I'll get there. I have an e-Amusement card and a Nesica card for rankings.

Pac-Man is a classic that I really like. I appreciate that there are clear strategies that can be used and that the memorization of patterns can lead to massive scores. Pattern playing does get boring after a while, but I still appreciate knowing the "tricks." Ms. Pac-Man is fun one to go for high scores in too, but in a totally different way. It's much more difficult and I know I'll never master it.

NiGHTS into Dreams on the Saturn is the only console-based game that springs to mind at the moment as a favorite with a heavy emphasis on scoring. I love this game and finding ways to get more points! The action can be super-intense and there are all kinds of hidden ways to boost your score, I love it!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 am

I know it's hella cliche, but I'm a real sucker for Pac-Man. Especially when I'm drunk in a bar that's got an actual cabinet.

Other than that, though, my favorite is probably Berzerk. Especially on Vectrex.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

chuckster
24-bit

by chuckster Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 am

Nemoide wrote:Pac-Man is a classic that I really like. I appreciate that there are clear strategies that can be used and that the memorization of patterns can lead to massive scores. Pattern playing does get boring after a while, but I still appreciate knowing the "tricks." Ms. Pac-Man is fun one to go for high scores in too, but in a totally different way. It's much more difficult and I know I'll never master it.

I've honestly never really given Pac-Man an honest sit-down attempt. I don't think I've ever gotten past the second or third board. I'll have to make a serious attempt someday (not that I would get much further!). I didn't even know there was a 'strategy' to it! I saw a video where the guy playing explained how the ghosts had different patterns and tendencies, it blew my mind. I am coming to respect early arcade games more and more as I learn more about them.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am

Galaga was my go-to as a kid, even though I totally suck at it.

Biggest games for me are probably Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, and especially Super Stardust Ultra

marurun

by marurun Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:56 am

Tetris. Not just lines, but also score. It's the incentive to take risks to eliminate more than one line at a time.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm also a big Robotron 2084 fan. It's very challenging and interesting.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Final Fight ★★★
http://eriktwice.com/
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

I definitely enjoy some good ol' score chasing.

Beatmania is my go-to when it comes to rhythm games. The skill ceiling in this game is so, so high, that even after years of play, I've barely reached halfway up the difficulty scale... on Normal mode. :lol: stuff like DJ Max and Xonic also provided hours of score chasing goodness.

Obligatory shmups mention, since I play all of them with score in mind. For pure scoring bliss, I lean towards Mushihimesama Futari and Muchi Muchi Pork nowadays.

I also love Geometry Wars. Anytime I turn on my 360 to play something, I end up spending a good 30-60 minutes just playing this. Recently played Super Smash TV for the first time, and also loved that. I need to dig into Robotron, only played it once on a cab, and it was overwhelming!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 pm

At home/go Tetris, in the arcade my go to would definitely be Galaga.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Robotron 2084 is undoubtedly a great score chaser. My favorite of the era, however, is probably Kaboom! for the 2600.
Return to General Gaming