43%
No
57%

Total votes: 30

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Atari Forum?

Post by Tanooki »

I'd like to agree with that, but it's too condensed. I would agree the total boards could comfortably joined into a total half the size of the current list. The less spread would give for the look of far more traffic in the same space.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Are people against sub forums under a main category?

So there's a classic gaming category that then brings you to a landing page where you can post general threads under the over-arching subject, or visit specific sub forums per system.

Here's an example of what you see on AA after clicking Classic Gaming General:

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/17-cla ... g-general/

This allows you to clean up the front page but still have dedicated, detailed sub forums.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Jagosaurus wrote:Are people against sub forums under a main category?

So there's a classic gaming category that then brings you to a landing page where you can post general threads under the over-arching subject, or visit specific sub forums per system.

Here's an example of what you see on AA after clicking Classic Gaming General:

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/17-cla ... g-general/

This allows you to clean up the front page but still have dedicated, detailed sub forums.

Please Alphabetize each Section
I prefer all the forum categories up front; each grouping maybe should be in alphabetical order? It is much easier to simply scroll roll the wheel of the mouse over having to click search thru more sub folders. The Board Index breaks down the sections nicely. Platforms Section has each Console Manufacturer Category up front in its own box no matter if classic or modern era. Still feel Sony and Microsoft should each have dedicated folders before Atari gets a dedicated folder. On the other hand, if there is one brand from that era; Atari certainly more known over Colecovision, Intellivision or TG16. Oh and multiple consoles 0f 2600, 5200, 7800 and even the computer line vs the other brands of the era.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

marurun

Post by marurun »

No, alphabetizing would not be an appropriate way to order most of the forums: it would probably only be appropriate for Platforms and Genres. Generally speaking you want the more important forums up top and the less important, less emphasized, or lower traffic forums below.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

From my perspective, it would just cause already split topics to have less viewers and answers.
I'd love to talk more on some topics associated to Atari consoles - 2600, 5200. analog peripherals - trackball, analog paddles etc.
The problem is the viewers. If I have a problem with my Atari console, I have to link it to a dedicated forum on another site if I want an answer. Conversely, If someone posts a topic about a video problem in the right topic for an Atari console, I will not see it - that forum is a "dead zone" with one more topic among the three present. Do not spread it thinner than it is.
*fire marshal bill*
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote: If I have a problem with my Atari console, I have to link it to a dedicated forum on another site if I want an answer.

I don't agree with this at all. If that is the case, let's not discuss Sega, Nintendo, Neo Geo, 3DO, PC Engine, Sony, MS, PC, etc. Those all have active, dedicated forums. I guarantee you there are active members at Atari Age and Atari IO who have visited our site and chose not join, or at the very least be not be active, due there not being an Atari area.

We have our typical RB monster thread... Have you Played Atari Today. That is our Atari version of "How is your XX Gaming Going," but this one thread is intended for multiple consoles this round. No new or prospective member will comb through those type threads or find them conducive to discuss their console of choice. That topic could be broken up into discussion about specific games and individual consoles at the very least.

I'm okay with there not being an Atari forum. Vote speaks for itself, but I don't see the logic behind it. I'm no SEO expert but I would think an Atari subform and at least an article on some Atari subject would only help the site, drive traffic, and attract members. We can all surely agree it is one area we are lacking regardless of how we tackle it.

I will just start kicking up some conversation about Atari dedicated games, peripherals, history, etc 8) .

Side bar: Some of this may be age related. I would bet the average here is 10-15 years younger than the Atari forums.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

marurun wrote:No, alphabetizing would not be an appropriate way to order most of the forums: it would probably only be appropriate for Platforms and Genres. Generally speaking you want the more important forums up top and the less important, less emphasized, or lower traffic forums below.

That makes sense. Perhaps just alphabetize Platforms and Genres?

Looking thru the rest of the board index, maybe sort the other categories in each section based on total posts? Some Forums have huge disparity on total post/view counts vs the order layout.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'd be thrilled if people asked some problems related to video output from an atari console and I had a solution. Truth is, all of my Atari consoles are lent out, they're all modded and have no problems, and I have yet to make the output of my oscilloscope make any more difference than a well placed google search. I love trying to figure out solutions to problems, just the solutions are a simple google search away.
It'd be fun if someone needed some help building a video processor from parts and we both built it and made a working video processor. Especially if I could debug some signal noise using my oscilloscope.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage