43%
No
57%

Total votes : 30
racketboy
Site Admin

Atari Forum?

by racketboy Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

Are they enough people here that are into some of the classic Atari stuff (even the Jaguar?!) to warrant a dedicated forum?
JoeAwesome
128-bit

Re: Atari Forum?

by JoeAwesome Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

A dedicated sub-forum, right? Still, the answer would be no for me. There's not enough current users talking about it to really warrant it, and probably not interest to bring new people on, I think.

Edit: I say this as a proud 7800 and Jaguar owner.
Last edited by JoeAwesome on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

I said yes because I love my Atari stuff and think it deserves a dedicated forum, but I'm not sure there's enough interest in general to keep it hot.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:09 am

Voted Yes.

Looking over the first page in the Board Index in Other Platforms, there are a few threads dedicated to Atari definitely more then Intellivision and Coleco. Perhaps if a dedicated Atari category, some of the major active Threads could be moved? A small point to consider as mentioned in next paragraph is no current marketed Atari console; but then there are the newer PlugNPlays keeping the name viable.

I know its been brought up before, but why not separate Sony and Microsoft; Sega which no longer has a current console in the market yet has its own dedicated category. Yes it would be a pain to separate all the threads, perhaps just move a few active threads of whichever gets the new category? Suggest creating a new Microsoft category and just renaming the old one to just Sony for less thread moves.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:06 am

Might be chicken & the egg. I think the Atari subforum may cultivate more discussion.

I know we have a few Jaguar fans. I would love discussing that library more. While I'm a member at AA and there are many great contributors there, the Jag community and AA subforum for it unfortunately often lives up to its reputation of... theatrics... due to a handful of pot-stirrers and folks who give into the drama. I just want to discuss some games, hardware, culture, & history man! RB is a great place for that.

Also, I want to learn more about Atari computer line up & game library, as well as using real atari controllers in modern Atari emus. That spills over a bit into the emu subforum but is relevant as it involves original hardware and newly developed adapters.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:I know we have a few Jaguar fans. I would love discussing that library more.

I'm a big fan of the Jaguar, but I'm still dipping my toes into the console's library, so I second this whole sentiment.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Segata wrote:I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.

I've made the "less is more" argument here a few times, and always told I'm wrong. The way things are now, I have to use the Active Topics command to make sense of it.
marurun

by marurun Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:20 pm

That's why those various tools are there. I don't know which is materially better because I seriously doubt anyone has done any usability testing with most forum software, but I have grown very accustomed to this model that we use here and think that the alternative would require something of an adjustment for most of our existing user base.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Segata wrote:I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.

I've made the "less is more" argument here a few times, and always told I'm wrong. The way things are now, I have to use the Active Topics command to make sense of it.

I use the Active Topics most of the time too, but then there's searching for a topic you're looking for.
The forum search is only so helpful so being able to browse a certain category is helpful many times. Plus you can narrow a forum search to a certain sub-forum.
Return to General Gaming