43%
No
57%

Total votes : 30
racketboy
Site Admin

Atari Forum?

by racketboy Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

Are they enough people here that are into some of the classic Atari stuff (even the Jaguar?!) to warrant a dedicated forum?
JoeAwesome
128-bit

Re: Atari Forum?

by JoeAwesome Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

A dedicated sub-forum, right? Still, the answer would be no for me. There's not enough current users talking about it to really warrant it, and probably not interest to bring new people on, I think.

Edit: I say this as a proud 7800 and Jaguar owner.
Last edited by JoeAwesome on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

I said yes because I love my Atari stuff and think it deserves a dedicated forum, but I'm not sure there's enough interest in general to keep it hot.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:09 am

Voted Yes.

Looking over the first page in the Board Index in Other Platforms, there are a few threads dedicated to Atari definitely more then Intellivision and Coleco. Perhaps if a dedicated Atari category, some of the major active Threads could be moved? A small point to consider as mentioned in next paragraph is no current marketed Atari console; but then there are the newer PlugNPlays keeping the name viable.

I know its been brought up before, but why not separate Sony and Microsoft; Sega which no longer has a current console in the market yet has its own dedicated category. Yes it would be a pain to separate all the threads, perhaps just move a few active threads of whichever gets the new category? Suggest creating a new Microsoft category and just renaming the old one to just Sony for less thread moves.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:06 am

Might be chicken & the egg. I think the Atari subforum may cultivate more discussion.

I know we have a few Jaguar fans. I would love discussing that library more. While I'm a member at AA and there are many great contributors there, the Jag community and AA subforum for it unfortunately often lives up to its reputation of... theatrics... due to a handful of pot-stirrers and folks who give into the drama. I just want to discuss some games, hardware, culture, & history man! RB is a great place for that.

Also, I want to learn more about Atari computer line up & game library, as well as using real atari controllers in modern Atari emus. That spills over a bit into the emu subforum but is relevant as it involves original hardware and newly developed adapters.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:I know we have a few Jaguar fans. I would love discussing that library more.

I'm a big fan of the Jaguar, but I'm still dipping my toes into the console's library, so I second this whole sentiment.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Segata wrote:I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.

I've made the "less is more" argument here a few times, and always told I'm wrong. The way things are now, I have to use the Active Topics command to make sense of it.
marurun

by marurun Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:20 pm

That's why those various tools are there. I don't know which is materially better because I seriously doubt anyone has done any usability testing with most forum software, but I have grown very accustomed to this model that we use here and think that the alternative would require something of an adjustment for most of our existing user base.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Segata wrote:I feel there is too many already. Making the forum starting to look cluttered and hurts curb appeal. Typically the most attractive forums have fewer subforums. I feel it's already very fractured and gets confusing where to put some subjects and nonattractive to make a topic in some sub-forums in fear that no one will read it vs just putting it in general gaming.

I've made the "less is more" argument here a few times, and always told I'm wrong. The way things are now, I have to use the Active Topics command to make sense of it.

I use the Active Topics most of the time too, but then there's searching for a topic you're looking for.
The forum search is only so helpful so being able to browse a certain category is helpful many times. Plus you can narrow a forum search to a certain sub-forum.
Return to General Gaming