How do you feel about retro gaming these days?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

How's your retro (10+ years old) gaming these days?

I adore (pretty much daily) retro gaming.
23%
I routinely (once a week) do retro gaming.
38%
I sometimes (every other week) do retro gaming.
19%
I rarely (once a month) do retro gaming.
12%
I hardly (once a year) do retro gaming.
No votes
I never do any retro gaming anymore.
No votes
I have an answer not on the poll, and will reply instead.
8%

Total votes: 26

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

How do you feel about retro gaming these days?

Post by Exhuminator »

Yup there's a poll up there because I love me a poll.

Besides the poll, feel free to post your thoughts on playing old games these days. Do you still enjoy retro* gaming? Do you engage with old games often? If you don't enjoy retro gaming much lately, why is that? Is modern gaming more appealing to you for particular reasons? When's the last time you beat a 16 or 8-bit game?

*And by "retro", I mean playing games that are at least ten years old.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: How do you feel about retro gaming these days?

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

It is really a case by case basis on when I do retro gaming. Games like Breath of the Wild pretty much put any other games on hold for at least a month, while other times I am safely able to play retro games pretty regularly. A lot of my retro game playing though has been almost exclusively PC games as of late. Anything pre-2000 is usually a PC title. In the end though, I would say that when I am playing a retro game, I am playing it multiple times a week, when I actually decide on what one to play and no modern games are taking up my time.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I am not sure how to answer the poll (I chose monthly), but in truth I suppose it fluctuates. The general trend has been down. This year about 10% of the games I have beaten were "retro". In past years:

2016: 17%
2015: 42%
2014: 34%
2013: 36%
2012: 34%
2011: 43%
2010: 45%

I wrote a post about the "retro blahs" earlier this year that explained my sentiment: viewtopic.php?t=51237

We had some good discussion on this topic there.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:Yup there's a poll up there because I love me a poll.

Besides the poll, feel free to post your thoughts on playing old games these days. Do you still enjoy retro* gaming? Do you engage with old games often? If you don't enjoy retro gaming much lately, why is that? Is modern gaming more appealing to you for particular reasons? When's the last time you beat a 16 or 8-bit game?

Do you still enjoy retro gaming?

Yep, if anything I need to start playing more modern games again, I've been predominantly retro focused for a few years now.

Do you engage with old games often?

Yes. If you look at my games beaten thread for this year I would estimate that maybe 90% of the games on that are retro.

Is modern gaming more appealing to you?

I think a lot of what puts me off of playing my modern games is the length of them. I only have so much time for 100 hour behemoth games, but the modern industry is absolutely packed with them. I enjoy the games themselves, but the time investment is off-putting.

When's the last time you beat an 8 or 16-bit game?

September 25th, when I finished Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite for GBC.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Games Beaten this year so far: 84

Retro from that list: 50, and that's just counting the Metal Slug's from the arcade pool. Too lazy to check dates on the others

I would say that yes I like retro gaming a lot, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I am usually consistent in my rotation of old and new. This year I rediscovered emulation to an extent, I got lazy with it for years but now that I have a few retro styled controllers (Buffalo SNES gamepad and some Genesis one), it's just awesome again. Before that I was buying a bunch of stuff again on the Wii U or replaying stuff via compilations, or Steam, etc. I admittedly have not had any old systems hooked up in quite some time, the oldest being the Xbox over the last few years. I still have a CRT around with 5 AV inputs and 1 S-video, just hoping for the day I have more space to utilize that more efficiently in some kind of big gaming room.

I love to say that, age does not dictate quality.

(yes there's a lot of bad old games, but you guys know what I mean!)

Some here are hardcore about it and it's awesome. I would say I'm somewhere between routinely and sometimes. I have phases, but by the end of the year the tally is usually pretty even between old and new.
yaktaur
8-bit

Post by yaktaur »

I don't play video games every day but pretty much every day I do I'll play a retro game.

Even the new games I play are mostly retro in mindset

I don't think of it as a choice I make, it's just the games I like to play are usually old fashioned
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Exhuminator wrote:Yup there's a poll up there because I love me a poll.

Retro Gaming is basically all I play. I don't play anything beyond the PS2/GCN/XBOX generation. I don't have a flat screen television and the new games really don't interest me all that much. I sometimes play more 'modern' games at friend's houses, but it doesn't interest me at all. I'm still playing catch up from all the games that I didn't play.

It's all I play. It's my only way of gaming.

Absolutely not. I don't like the online functionality, constant updates, worthless games when server dies, consoles that constantly break and the same genres over and over again. I respect people who play modern gaming, but it's not for me.

15 Days ago. October 5th, I beat Landstalker on the Sega Genesis.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Retro games are just games to me. I play games depending on what seems interesting, don't really care much about their age to be honest.

I don't play as many video games lately for a couple reasons, though:

a) Bigger focus on boardgames
b) More time with family/friends/girlfriend
c) Time is being shared with other hobbies (Writing, model railroading)
d) I don't have a table for my CRTs and I would rather play games on them than on my PC
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'll say once a week, but really I'm so busy with both working and other hobbies that I don't formally schedule gaming at all. I played just about NO games for the first half of the year.
But at the moment, retro gaming is just about all my gaming, especially since there are decade old Xbox 360 titles. My only current system is a 3DS. And these days I've been eschewing them in favor of playing older games.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yes -- I don't get to play as much as I'd like as I spend a lot of the evenings with my kids (2 and 4) and don't want to play too much in front of them. And I spend more time reading and writing about games than playing them. But I've been hooking up a couple more consoles lately and digging in here and there. Jon and I will play the Genesis together a bit plus some retro games on the Apple TV. Oh and he likes Daytona USA on the PS3.

These last few months a lot more. Writing gig kicking back in helps. I also routinely stop at my retro store every couple of weeks. Just scored some nice deals today.

I have very little interest in modern gaming. PS3 is newest system I own and we actually play the Wii and Apple TV more. I do like a lot of what I'm seeing on the Switch and would like to play Splatoon.

I beat Sonic CD like a week or two ago. I'm trying to beat the Death Egg Robot on Sonic 2 with Knuckles and having issues :lol: Also making my way through Sonic 1
Also beat the arcade mode on Super Street Fighter II on the Genesis.