Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Concerning the Games Beaten thread reviews:

I read every review thoroughly.
11%
I only read some users' reviews thoroughly.
26%
I tl;dr & read the last few sentences of reviews.
9%
I glance over the reviews but barely read them.
11%
I don't read the reviews at all.
No votes
Posting reviews is dumb everyone should stop doing it.
No votes
If you enjoy reviews: I prefer long multi-paragraph reviews.
21%
If you enjoy reviews: I prefer short and sweet reviews.
19%
If you enjoy reviews: I'd rather see a review score than a review.
No votes
I have an opinion not listed as an option, so I'll post a reply instead.
4%

Total votes : 47
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Re: A community poll about reviews in the Games Beaten threa

by PresidentLeever Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Exhuminator wrote:There seems to be only one member here who gets upset about picture sizes or animated gifs. I've never been on any other forum before where people worry about the size or frequency of images posted, honestly. I for one enjoy pictures as they add spice to all the text. Large pictures are good for screenshots because they show more detail. My pet peeve though, is animated avatars. I've never liked that, as it's distracting and irritating. I tend to block those types of avatar images quickly.

Me? No, it's simply tedious to scroll through those too when looking just for the summary or not being interested in a particular review. But of course the spoilers tags can help here.

People like pictures over text. A lot of people barely read any longer texts online at all and struggle to get through 10+ minute youtube videos. Not sure why you'd want to cater to them though.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:49 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
chuckster wrote:There seems to be only one member here who gets upset about picture sizes or animated gifs. I've never been on any other forum before where people worry about the size or frequency of images posted, honestly. I for one enjoy pictures as they add spice to all the text. Large pictures are good for screenshots because they show more detail. My pet peeve though, is animated avatars. I've never liked that, as it's distracting and irritating. I tend to block those types of avatar images quickly.

Me? No, it's simply tedious to scroll through those too when looking just for the summary or not being interested in a particular review. But of course the spoilers tags can help here.

People like pictures over text. A lot of people barely read any longer texts online at all and struggle to get through 10+ minute youtube videos. Not sure why you'd want to cater to them though.

I actually get really annoyed at a lot of YouTube reviews. They often take way too long to get to the point. Too much prologue and not enough review. Most YouTube reviewers could learn something about video reviews from a quality review TV show Siskel & Ebert: At the Movies. I know that show is historical at this point, but they didn't just monkey around. They reviewed stuff and got to the point.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:12 pm

marurun wrote:I actually get really annoyed at a lot of YouTube reviews. They often take way too long to get to the point. Too much prologue and not enough review. /They reviewed stuff and got to the point.

Well said, and this is what I'm talking about. I get annoyed with game reviews by some authors (I'm talking generally here, not just particular RB authors) that spend too much time over-explaining or fluffing their reviews, leaving the core points that matter drowned a sea of self indulgent white noise.

A long review is okay if it needs to explain examples thoroughly to contextualize important points. It's not okay when it's telling me stuff that is obviously self explanatory, or waxing hyperbolic about totally subjective elements. And worst of all, redundantly stating things over and over which have already been explained earlier in the review. I won't waste my time reading such amateur hour reviews of that nature.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:43 pm

You were talking about me "getting upset" over too many pictures.

marurun wrote:I actually get really annoyed at a lot of YouTube reviews. They often take way too long to get to the point. Too much prologue and not enough review. Most YouTube reviewers could learn something about video reviews from a quality review TV show Siskel & Ebert: At the Movies. I know that show is historical at this point, but they didn't just monkey around. They reviewed stuff and got to the point.

That was a general statement, for game reviews it depends. SNESdrunk for example tends to get the length right for older games, and as a "what to play" guide. I'm usually more interested in in-depth reviews on what I've already beaten myself as most quick reviewers don't get into what I care about that much or can't properly discuss them.

Games are generally pretty different from movies and we spend more time on each one so, idk about that one.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:48 pm

A review without any subjective elements isn't a review, it's a synopsis. Reviews should be subjective, it's in their very nature.

I'll happily take a bunch of images too, they're often better to get a grasp of the basic gameplay elements than a paragraph of text would be.

Expect me to continue posting long reviews with subjective opinions and lots of images guys :lol:

P.S. I don't plan of ditching my animated avatar either. :wink:
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:06 pm

I think the key is that the length needs to be appropriate to the game. Some game reviews need to be longer than others. But I don't think reviewing games is a wholly different thing from reviewing movies, or music, or even cars or blenders. A review is an opinion, but on the other hand it is meant to be helpful and informative to others. So you have to include objective content about the game and subjective information placed in a sufficient context to allow people to relate so that subjective content. Subjective content that doesn't help inform others is largely pointless in a review. It ends up being navel gazing.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:09 pm

alienjesus: A single link to a gameplay video is even better for that. ;)

I could apparently block animated avatars with an extension so that problem's solved.
marurun

by marurun Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

I just have an ad filter on my iPhone that blocks 3rd-party GIF files. It does wonders for my browsing experience. There is no GIF out there that is so important that if I don't see if my day will be ruined.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Ack

by Ack Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

marurun wrote:There is no GIF out there that is so important that if I don't see if my day will be ruined.

Not even Orson Welles clapping or Michael Jackson eating popcorn?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 pm

marurun wrote:A review is an opinion, but on the other hand it is meant to be helpful and informative to others. So you have to include objective content about the game and subjective information placed in a sufficient context to allow people to relate so that subjective content. Subjective content that doesn't help inform others is largely pointless in a review. It ends up being navel gazing.

All of this is exactly what I was going to say. You said it well.

alienjesus wrote:P.S. I don't plan of ditching my animated avatar either. :wink:

I forgot you even had one, because I blocked it so long ago. I'm not saying animated avatars are -wrong- people, I just don't like them personally is all.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming