Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Launching a New Site - TightwadGamer.com

by Blu Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm still publishing content on a bi-weekly basis, a nice leisurely stroll if you would. I've added a couple more articles to the frontpage. I've focused on playing down a backlog, spending less of your own cash, and started featuring some cheap card games worth your time. Hope you check them out.

Happy Thanksgiving in advance. Will be travelling tomorrow, so hope you have a relaxing couple of days! :)
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Budget Gaming with TightwadGamer.com

by racketboy Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Nice! The flipping idea is pretty good if you have a nice strategy that works for you.
With a lot of sellers in the connected world, its had to get some good deals, but buying lots/bundles and selling off extras you don't care about can work out pretty well. Hardware included. Facebook Marketplace can be hit or miss. Some people ask WAY too much for crap, but then my sister-in-law found some good Nintendo (mostly Wii and GC) stuff for like a couple bucks a piece that I was blown away by.

Trading is great too -- and it can often be trading for super-cheap stuff that is still fun to play and round out your collection.

Nice work, Blu!
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks Racketboy, I also prefer flipping stuff that's extra in a lot, or using it to trade for other games I want to play. I agree, finding good deals especially with the Facebook marketplace makes things a bit more challenging. I think yard sales and moving sales are usually where I make out with some good deals nowadays, but are pretty much seasonal. It's not something I spend too much time on, but more of being patient and happening across something serendipitously.

After a lapse over the holidays, was finally able to put together this piece that I hope everyone enjoys reading. I did a comparison between Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus and the free games they offer. Please check it out and let me know what your thoughts are!

http://www.tightwadgamer.com/psplus-vs-gold/
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm

dsheinem wrote:I don't see how having a gift card makes something a deal...? Good job, though?

If the focus is strictly on saving money on video games, Best Buy GCU is by far the better option compared to Prime. I have both, and I feel I get my money's worth from Amazon for things that have nothing to do with games (I really never pre-order games from there). I also like that with GCU I can use it in a physical store to pick things up same-day or to peruse inventory when I happen to be in one of the stores. I think the $15/year that GCU costs is well worth it, even if you have Prime.

BB is typically slower in reducing prices than Amazon, with the exception of a sale.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 am

Jmustang1968 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I don't see how having a gift card makes something a deal...? Good job, though?

If the focus is strictly on saving money on video games, Best Buy GCU is by far the better option compared to Prime. I have both, and I feel I get my money's worth from Amazon for things that have nothing to do with games (I really never pre-order games from there). I also like that with GCU I can use it in a physical store to pick things up same-day or to peruse inventory when I happen to be in one of the stores. I think the $15/year that GCU costs is well worth it, even if you have Prime.

BB is typically slower in reducing prices than Amazon, with the exception of a sale.

True, and Best Buy will typically price match with competitors, Amazon does not price match at all.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Rising this thread from its grave! It's been a minute!

I've been trying to post on a bi-weekly basis now. I wanted to throw some updates for you all in case there were readers interested.

I've done three articles using community member's perspectives of being a parent and a gamer. This third article has my perspective and links to the first two articles. Thanks to the members whose posts I included.

http://www.tightwadgamer.com/being-a-pa ... ew-father/

I also recently wrote about my thoughts on pursuining financial independence / early retirement as a gamer. It's something that we're passionate about and like to think about regularly. Curious as to your all's thoughts on the matter too!

http://www.tightwadgamer.com/pursuing-f ... s-a-gamer/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 am

with the arrival of our daughter, I've seen a crunch on my gaming budget. However, the past three months I've done really well not spending "real money" on games. In the limited gaming time I've had, I've been doing a lot of digging through my own backlog, and evaluating which games are worth keeping and which I won't play again. This has kept me in a zone of managing new game purchases by trading/selling stuff I'm done with. Which has been nice, as games are funding new games.

The other thing is that I've been embracing cheap games. There are literally thousands of games out there that I'd like to play. So for now, I've been focusing on the ones I can get a hold of the cheapest. In some respects, this is quantity over quality, but there's still plenty of quality games that can be had for next to nothing.

On that same note, I'm now finding that (for the most part) I'd rather pay less for a loose game than pay the premium for something prettier to display on my shelves. I figure when I have time I can print replacement covers, but ultimately, I'd rather have more games to play than less good looking ones. Take for example the N64 console my brother gave me for free - it's so beat up that I'm amazed it even works. And yet, that ugly console brings me a lot of joy and it cost me nothing.

I've also been embracing the "free" games on Switch Online. (I realize these aren't technically free, but the library comes out to under $2/month, and it's a service I've already paid for...).

The one caveat has been some random yard sale pickups. I've grabbed a spare GBA, an N64 game, and a handful of Wii games for a buck or two over the past couple months, which has been nice.

The hardest thing for me has been putting off new games. I used to pretty much grab every new game of high interest to me immediately. Now I'm trying to be patient and wait for great deals, which has been tough. A good example is the Link's Awakening remake. It was one of my most anticipated releases of the year, but now that it's out (and $60) I keep thinking that the original game is still great and like $6 on 3DS Virtual Console.
Return to General Gaming