Budget Gaming with TightwadGamer.com

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Launching a New Site - TightwadGamer.com

Post by dsheinem »

I assume you are familiar with the Gamers Club Unlocked discount at Best Buy? It costs $30 for two years and you get 20% off all new games (even if they are on sale). I've bought 90% of my current-gen physical game purchases through there for the past four or five years, so I haven't paid $60 for something brand new in a long time. They also are quick to discount $60 games to ~$40/$30 within a month or two after release, which makes them $32/$24 even when they are still very new.

The best part is that they sometimes add a $10 rewards coupon to some preorders (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/my-bes ... 8100050002). So, for example, I pre-ordered Mario Odyssey for $47.99 and am also getting a $10 coupon towards a future purchase at Best Buy. Once you've done that for two games, the cost of the Gamers Club is paid for. Pre-orders typically ship to show up at your home on release day for no extra charge.

Amazon has something similar with Prime, but I think it applies to pre-orders only.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah GCU is a ridiculously good bargain.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:Yeah GCU is a ridiculously good bargain.

The other cool thing is that you get points towards regular Rewards Club certificates, which is basically like a free $5 for every $125 spent (on games). That isn't a huge amount, but here's good comparison:

GameStop
Super Mario Odyssey - $60
Call of Duty WWII - $60
Far Cry 5 - $60
---------
Total: $180

Best Buy w/Gamers Club
Super Mario Odyssey - $48
Call of Duty WWII - $38 ($48-$10 coupon from Mario)
Far Cry 5 - $38 ($48-$10 coupon from COD)
---------
Total: $124 (w/ another $15 in coupons left to spend on anything else at Best Buy.)

Basically GCU saves you like $70 on three brand new games (or $40 if you add in the cost of the two year service). That's way cheaper than even GS's used prices or their B2G1 used sales.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Agree totally. It's such a good deal I wonder if it can last.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Probably not if they lose enough.

Amazon used to give 20% with Prime 2 weeks AFTER an item came out, now it's just if you buy it in advance with a preorder. Same as the GCU minus the $5 for $125 spent which isn't much motivation for me to bother paying into their system. Amazon Prime is pay too but given all the free shipping, regular use of amazon music, and occasionally hitting some videos too it is the better deal.

Also they randomly and fairly often discount random games (modern and old) with 20+% off prices too beyond that 2 week window, sometimes further than that so that's a plus too.

I've got some nice roll outs on deals between some gift cards I had and their discounts with free shipping where the games cost me 50% of their sticker price (in part due to a $100 worth of $25 gift cards.)

This is for: Mario Odyssey, Axiom Verge, RiME, Metroid 3DS, and Tiny Barbarian DX Switch
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: $199.84
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Prime Savings: -$12.00
Prime Savings: -$16.00
Prime Savings: -$11.89
Total before tax: $159.95
Estimated tax to be collected: $9.60
Gift Card Amount: -$51.06
Grand Total: $118.49
Refund Total: $1.06

And another this one being for: Switch DOOM and Skyrim, 3DS Mario & Luigi
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: $159.94
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Prime Savings: -$7.97
Prime Savings: -$24.00
Total before tax: $127.97
Estimated tax to be collected: $7.68
Gift Card Amount: -$50.00
Grand Total: $85.65
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I don't see how having a gift card makes something a deal...? Good job, though?

If the focus is strictly on saving money on video games, Best Buy GCU is by far the better option compared to Prime. I have both, and I feel I get my money's worth from Amazon for things that have nothing to do with games (I really never pre-order games from there). I also like that with GCU I can use it in a physical store to pick things up same-day or to peruse inventory when I happen to be in one of the stores. I think the $15/year that GCU costs is well worth it, even if you have Prime.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

You know how I feel about the topics, Blu, but I'm excited to see the first posts live. I have a feeling we're going to have some collaborations one of these days ;)

Keep up the great work and I'll be sure to feed you more thoughts as I dig in deeper!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Gift cards just added to it was all. In the end it was 20% off and free shipping. Combined with all the other prime features I use it's the better deal and it's as you said not just isolated to video games.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

GCU is the bomb. I've gotten way more than my $30 worth on games I would have bought anyway. It's actually taken a lot of my pre-order business away from the local GameStop.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I really dig GCU the more I read about it. Prime is adaptable given that it allows for a whole range of other products, but 20% off at all times definitely outshines anything that Amazon Prime or Power Up Rewards Pro offers. I'm glad you brought it up Dave, Noise, Sarge, and Tanooki. I think some cost-benefit analysis / review that compares the three could be really helpful for folks to decide which is right for them.

Racketboy: Thanks sir! I definitely want to collaborate in the future. In a similar vein, I'm wondering if we could possibly do a "year at-a-glance" article between PSN+ and Xbox Live -- who offers the best value between free titles, %off discounts, and the like. It'd be more objective, there doesn't need to be victor but my wife mentioned possibly doing a comparison of membership subscription services. But first, need to polish up those Master System Articles. :) I look forward to your thoughts though.

Sarge, I also appreciate that the article resonated for you on keeping up with a favorite franchise. For me, it's really important to stick with a few series that I've been a lifelong fan of and show my appreciation. Thanks for the kind words. :)

I hope the next couple of articles don't disappoint. Hope you're all having a good week!