Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Budget Gaming with TightwadGamer.com

by Blu Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Hello Racketboy Community!

I've been slowly working on a pet project -- Tightwad Gamer -- a website that focuses on the budget-conscious gamer. I imagine many from the Racketboy community keep finances and a budget in mind when making gaming-related purchases. So, I have been creating content for such a site that promotes a frugal gaming lifestyle that I hope appeals to the masses. My goal is to help gamers save money and get more mileage out of their dollar, and provide some straight-forward, common sense articles approaching gaming with a lower-cost mindset.

Our first two articles are up: "Tightwad Gamer's Introductory Guide to Budgeting." and "Skip Release Day." I think these two articles are pretty straightforward and I hope they add some value to you. We have a bunch of other content that we'll start releasing consistently on a bi-weekly basis. My goal is to help everyone approach gaming in some ways that will be easier on the budget, and in turn avoid the mental stress when we go overboard on our spending habits. Later articles will include some DIY projects, highlighting deals whenever appropriate and timely, and any other topical discussions that come along.

Please consider visiting, reading, and sharing in any discussion you feel is appropriate. I am happy to consider any new thoughts or ideas for generating new articles. Thanks all!
Last edited by Blu on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Launching a New Site - TightwadGamer.com

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm

You know I will be stopping by!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Looking good! That's a good area to focus on too. There's a lot of sites that report price drops or sales, but nothing really in depth about moderation and keeping a budget. Should be pretty appealing I bet.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:49 pm

my own philosophy is slightly different than say your "skip release date" one. In my mind it's best to only buy a game if you are planning to actually play it immediately. I feel like even if I buy a $60 game on day one, I don't feel like I'm overspending because I'm also not just scooping up a bunch of cheap games that I never get around to playing.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The site looks cool and I'll keep an eye on it. I like the angle.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm

So you're trying to scoop up where cheapassgamer leaves off on just the prices but not the details on the game behind the deal. I have to admit I'm curious.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:15 pm

The only time day-one makes sense is if it's a non-major franchise that you want to support so it continues (or a major one like Metroid), or a title that you're literally going to drop every game you have to play. Zelda and mainline Dragon Quest always falls into this category for me. Your article there is excellent.

No question I could have saved more money across the years, though. I go through phases of cheapness, but holding out, especially for AAA titles, is usually the right move.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Just a note, the introduction to budgeting's table breaks the layout on a mobile phone. The chart extends far past the layout.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks all for the comments and thoughts so far.

I am definitely advocating for games that you simply must have and want to play right away. I think that's totally awesome and I can think of several games that I did just that. In many ways, I agree with Noise -- I often avoid dropping $60 on a game that becomes part of my backlog because I can't commit right away.

I definitely want to do some in-depth content analysis of whether or not a game is worth your time, if there's a deal, and help build some good responsible habits while enjoying gaming.

Thanks for letting me know that the graph breaks the page on mobile -- the theme is a responsive one but I'll see if I can do some tweaking.
Last edited by Blu on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

I find it hard to buy any game over $40 anymore for full price, usually less. I will in cases of something where a developer rarely will drop a price or many years later (1st party Nintendo) so it's pointless or I'll know I could get a couple bucks an hour worth of enjoyment out of it (like an ARPG, RPG, diablo type, sim city thing something lengthy by design.) Stuff like a Final Fantasy, Dialbo, Warcraft 2, Sim City Classic/2K, Civiization or something even if light is so replayable like an arcade style game by design I could plunk more down on as I'll get there. Then you have your Mario and Zelda stuff which rarely disappoints so they're not much of a gamble either. Otherwise I'm all about the clearance bin or the GoG 50-90% off sales. Handheld (which I include Switch) I'm more lenient because with that you can pick off plenty in the $20-40 range.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Yes, I agree with you on all points. Realistically I've bought 4 or 5 games this year at full retail.

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Sonic Mania
Cuphead

Of those, the only one that I haven't jumped into yet is Yakuza Kiwami, because I'm still playing Yakuza 0. Yakuza Kiwami was $30, so I wasn't too stressed about it.

As long as I'm not shelling out $50+ on a crap-ton of games that add to my backlog, I'm usually fine with waiting until I have the time to fully play through something. Others are completely content with having a backlog and enjoy the task of dabbling in games here or there. My mind simply likes to focus on one thing/game/project at a time.

Having written that article, it still astounds me how much of Nintendo's first-party stuff holds value over time. That's one instance where if it's a game I really want and I see a $15-20 price drop, I'll jump at it.

Bogus, you helped me learn something new. I haven't entirely tweaked the tables, but the graph itself wasn't fully displaying on the second article. Anywho, I learned how to use a new plug-in and configure data into a .csv format to create a bar graph that works for a responsive website-design. I am going to see if I can do something similar with tables as well.
Return to General Gaming