AJ's backlog challenge - choose a game for me to beat!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: AJ's backlog challenge - choose a game for me to beat!

Post by alienjesus »

I'm now on Chapter 7 of Portal 2, and the plot's moving along a bit. I reckon I should be able to finish this one next time I play.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't remember the chapters by number, but don't count your chickens...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:I don't remember the chapters by number, but don't count your chickens...

For reference, spoilers ahead:

I just teamed up with Potato GLADOS and recieved the implication that Carolyn is Glados
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ok yeah you are pretty far along then.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Quick update on this one - I haven't had time to finish off Portal yet, but I did sit down with Rhythm Tengoku on GBA last weekend and powered through it.

I love this series to death, and whilst I think this is probably the weakest of the main 3 (the 3DS one I have mixed opinions on) I still thought it was great.

There were a few games with some mild teething trouble due to the directions being in Japanese (like, you literally have to look left and right on command but the commands aren't in English) but overall it was pretty accessible. Rather easy though, especially compared to the DS sequel.

Eventually I might even catch up enough with the Games Beaten thread that you'll see a full review of this in there, but for now this will do!
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

Love this idea for a thread!

I'd recommend checking out Actraiser for SNES, the action sections do get a bit tough in the back half but the Sim sections are a nice break. Great game all around :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Hey, welcome to the thread (and the site!). I've added ActRaiser to the list 8)

On another note, I finished Portal 2 recently. It's good stuff, but I think I like the first game more - there's something about the more simple mechanics I liked more, as well as the more clean aesthetic. That said Portal 2 is still great, and you can expect an eventual review of it in the Games Beaten thread at some point, when I finally catch up.

I was eyeing up Crystalis as the next game I'll take on from the list :D
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I may have eyed up Crystalis as the next game to beat, but the game I actually ended up taking on was Shinobi on 3DS.

Jesus, this game needs to take a chill pill. As someone who has beaten several Shinobi games before this (Revenge, Shinobi 3, GG Shinobi, Shinobi X) I found the difficulty in this one to be pretty brutal coupled with it's incredibly long levels and slightly janky jumping. Had it been more lenient with checkpoints, this one would have been a pretty solid game, but I found it to be very frustrating on its standard difficulty. Probably best to play it on Easy mode.

Despite it all, I beat the game after way too many attempts at the final level. Expect a review in the games beaten thread eventually, maybe even sometime this year!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I love this idea! I don't know how I've never noticed this thread before. I'll check out your backlog and post my suggestion. I may also steal your thread idea.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Pulling this one back from the ether - I guess I never really got around to doing this as much as I planned - I did finished 3 more games on this list since I last updated though!

First off was Ecco: The Tides of Time, which I beat over the summer. It was more of the same, and probably a better game, but I somehow think I liked the first game a bit more.

I also finished up Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi. It seems to have a reputation on the site (and by it's challenger) for being unfair and overly hard, but I dunno, it just seemed like a slightly less refined version fo the other GBA Fire Emblems to me, and I had a good time with it. The early and middle of the game was the harder than the end, for sure. Hit rates were less reliable and enemies had better stats and weapons than the sequel, but it just meant I had to play a little differently - I'd recommend it to fans of the series.

Lastly, I recently finished up Jet Set Radio Future. This one is one I'm torn on - I enjoyed my time with it, and in many ways it's a more tightly knitted game than the first - but some of the changes from the first really redefined what the game was about, and I kinda miss the intensity and route planning involved to get the big tags before too many ridiculous tanks, copters and swat teams were sent to stop you. Still, it's a great game nonetheless, although some of the crippling slowdown in some areas kinda shows off that it's a pretty early XBox title.