Reliable Sources for Quality Game Reproductions?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Reliable Sources for Quality Game Reproductions?

Post by MrPopo »

And to be fair, even a production DC game sounds like it's going to murder the drive.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

MrPopo wrote:And to be fair, even a production DC game sounds like it's going to murder the drive.

True! Might be my main complaint about the system. If you got rid of the noisy drive and had wireless controllers, it would be pure bliss ;)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'd vouch for gamereproductions.com too. He lives in town here and I've met him a couple times before and bought goods too. His work was good even a decade ago and got better as time went along. His newer stuff uses new boards, new plastics, and new quality (consumer level if you pick that tier) stickers too. The Gameboy / GBC stuff he has is solid quality stuff. I keep saying I'd buy at least 3-4 of his GB/GBC games but I know right now I have a mountain of stuff to play in the way. Once I do, Last Bible 2, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Cave Noire, and others for $22.50 a piece. That's cheap for new and quality done goods.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I don't remember what episode it was but an episode of Talking Classics as Kieth is talking about the DC he has one playing a game next to him. The thing is so loud you can't hear him talk. It was an exaggeration but still funny.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I had a kind of frustrating experience with GameReproductions.com, actually.

I didn't know about the infamous long wait time when I placed my order, but honestly, that wasn't the problem. The issue started when I finally got the game and it was the wrong the title.

That was disappointing, but not a deal breaker or anything. It happens. When I contacted him about it, though, his response was "Oops, sorry. Send it back and I'll send you the right game." When I asked if he was going to send me a label to cover the return shipping, he said he couldn't do that because this was "a hobby" and he wasn't a big store. He then added he could give me store credit if I wanted it.

At this point I wasn't feeling very confident. I hadn't known about the long wait going into the order, I hadn't known it was just one guy, I was shipped the wrong game, I felt I had to prompt him for a reimbursement I'd assumed would be a given due to his own error, and was then told I wasn't really being reimbursed anyway. Maybe expecting return shipping was wrong of me? But the exchange didn't seem professional or reassuring to a first-time customer.

Three weeks after the mistake cart had been marked delivered back to him by USPS, I sent an email asking if my correct game had shipped yet; he had said back in his apology email that he would probably get the correct game out "same day." I just wanted to make sure the cart was on its way and hadn't gotten lost considering all the bad luck I'd had. But, I never hear back.

Three more weeks go by and I still haven't gotten any word. I finally write in and request a refund. I get an immediate response of, "It's already shipped," and that's it. When the correct game arrives, I see it was postmarked the same day I asked for the refund.

I never followed up about store credit, because I'll be looking for another seller the next time I'm in the market for a repro.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That kind of doesn't surprise me about him. He used to be better about it but some years ago his wife had a kid and it wrecked his focus and turn around time quite a bit. It is just one person, he has a real job (like that would pay the bills) and does this as a hobby on the side. He shouldn't be made to remember to do stuff, that's inexcusable. His quality is solid but flake moments like that I get would run some off.