Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Reliable Sources for Quality Game Reproductions?

by racketboy Sun May 21, 2017 11:38 am

A while ago, I didn't think I would be asking about this, but I would kinda like to score some quality reproductions at a reasonable price of some rare games, if nothing else as props for photos/videos in future content.

Right now, I'm mostly interested in cartridge games like some Atari and NES titles. Gamma Attack (2600), Birthday Mania (2600), Stadium Events (NES), and the NES World Championship cart.

Anybody had good experience with such sources? Or at least heard of some?
Markies
128-bit

Re: Reliable Sources for Quality Game Reproductions?

by Markies Sun May 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Probably my favorite one is: http://www.ocdreproductions.com/. They only take about a week or so and have a nice variety of games. The quality is amazing and are my go to source for Reproductions.

http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php is another good one. However, they will take a bit longer, probably close to a month or maybe 2-3 weeks. They have a larger variety of games with a ton of fan made games.

I also know that Etsy/eBay are good sources for them as well. I have heard that they can be a hit and miss, but they will have any game that you are looking for with a huge variety of games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am

I can vouch for Game Reproductions. You can find some on Etsy every now and then, and I've heard second hand that stuff there is pretty decent quality, but I've not tried any of those myself.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

by Speedy-Mcspeedz Mon May 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Does anybody know if theres any push to reproduce early disc based media? PS1, jaguar or saturn? Im a collecter of these sorts and i have to always get myself a legit original copy. But sometimes i just want to play these games on their original console, and i dont mind if it is indeed a reproduction.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon May 22, 2017 1:17 pm

There is Saturn repros on Ebay but they are CD Roms. Saturn doesn't read them natively. So you have to pay for some thing to get it to work. At some point I might as I'd like to play Cotton 2 repro.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon May 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Segata wrote:There is Saturn repros on Ebay but they are CD Roms. Saturn doesn't read them natively. So you have to pay for some thing to get it to work. At some point I might as I'd like to play Cotton 2 repro.

Most of the rest of the older CD consoles will be fine. Dreamcast is tricky and not natively CDs for games, but the scene eventually figured out how to do self-booting Dreamcast CD-Rs. Sometimes, however for some games that have heavier amounts of video, the video may be compressed heavier so it fits on a CD-R instead of the GD-ROMs that held nearly twice as much.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Also have to be careful loading those CD Rom games in a DC. Puts a lot more work on it.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

I can also vouch for http://www.nesreproductions.com/

It's a one man operation and requires some work on your end to provide the donor but he does good work. I got him to apply the translation patch to my Lagrange Point cart (which still requires a Famicom to play due to no suitable NES donor board plus the sound stuff).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Segata wrote:Also have to be careful loading those CD Rom games in a DC. Puts a lot more work on it.

In fact, it does not. There's already a thread on here with extended discussion about how the GD-ROM drive works and why that idea is largely false.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 pm

marurun wrote:
Segata wrote:Also have to be careful loading those CD Rom games in a DC. Puts a lot more work on it.

In fact, it does not. There's already a thread on here with extended discussion about how the GD-ROM drive works and why that idea is largely false.

Typically. There were some rips that probably didn't have the files laid out nicely so it sounded like the disc was going to murder the drive with all the reading, but most in the scene figured out how to avoid that as well.
Return to General Gaming