Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Retro Gaming with Kids - Revisiting the Topic

by racketboy Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am

I couldn't remember if we dug into this topic before, and then I found this post I wrote before I had kids
http://www.racketboy.com/journal/classi ... r-children

Did we have a good forum topic on this?

I noticed a lot more regulars here have recently had kids -- what's everyone's plans with sharing gaming with kids?

I previously thought I would try to start my kids with stuff like 2600 and NES to start and work up, but I've really done a scattered approach.

My son love Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but he's also enjoyed 2D Sonic and Mario. He's also enjoyed some iOS racing games.

He's only 3 1/2 and my daughter is 1 1/2 so we haven't dug into things too much yet.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Retro Gaming with Kids - Revisiting the Topic

by Tanooki Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am

At a really young age there were a time here and there I was using a Gameboy and my daughter would kind of grab at it and do some damage (first time was River City Rampage on GBA, she wasn't 2 yet but A button mashed a guy intoa BARF! death which was funny.)

After that there were times I'd let her try out this or that to see how it would work out and went from there. A year ago about now I found locally a really sweet craigslist pickup with a stunning GBC some girl owned and treated it was true care. I kept a couple games for myself, gave her the thing with SMB DX in there among a few others, and got some more. She was really taking to it then so I let her keep it and get a few more titles for it.

More lately was able to score a second NES CE system, so I set that up in her room as her own. She had used mine a bit as a reward for a good day and I found she took well to Kirby aside from Mario, so it was worth it. Some stuff she can handle, others like Dr Mario I don't think the age(she's 5)/maturity (patience) is there yet to figure that out.

Also when I got my neo geo cabinet last May she fell in love with the colored balls game (Bust a Move) so I let her do that. It seems the slower pacing there is more her thing as she can do ok with it ...not so much with stuff like Tetris(tried this 2 weeks ago), and Dr Mario.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 pm

My daughter is now 19, we played a lot of games together as she grew up.

I did do my best to teach her proper gaming. The first games she played were on GBC. The first system I gave her was a SNES with a lot of classic games (including Mario Paint + mouse) along with a little Strawberry Shortcake CRT. She spent a lot of time with it. After that she got a GameCube with tons of games. I bought her a DS at one point, she spent tons of time with it. Her and I co-op played lots of NES stuff (she loved Chip 'n Dales). From there I took her into Xbox and PS2 for a while, and then into 360 later on. We did some PC co-op gaming as well, her favorites were the Trine games.

But yeah, after all that, she prefers gaming on her iPhone. :|
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

My daughter is 4, and I just recently got her a DS Lite with some kid games. I also have some Disney carts on older systems for her to start playing soon in the new house.

What is interesting is that a controller is tougher for her to use. I got her one of those kid portable consoles and using a controller type scheme is alien to her. She is so used to touch screen from a tablet or phone. She often plays puzzle type games on touchscreen, so that is much more natural and intuitive for her.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

My daughter is only 15 months old, so I'm not sure yet!

But she has a 360 controller that I gave her to play with and she likes to push the buttons on it while Daddy plays Xbox One or Wii U on the TV.

I will try to get her interested in Atari 2600 in a couple of years though.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One

Want: Games!!!
marurun

by marurun Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

My boy is WAY too young to play games with me, but when he is old enough I hope he'll take to it. Not sure how to be a good sports dad, though. If he's really into sports, I may have to hand that stuff over to his mother.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun May 21, 2017 1:48 pm

My son is 2 yrs 2 months & he loves to "watch games daddy" :lol:

I'll give him a second controller or a keyboard & he'll have it while I play..

So far he's more into the cartoon style games. We've had fun & the most luck with these:

- TMNT Arcade II - NES
- Chip & Dale - NES
- Little Nemo Dream Master - NES
- Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion - SMS
- TMNT Hyperstone Heist - Genesis
- Outrun - Genesis
- Food Fight - 7800

He also likes hot wheels, and he was actually able to steer the car in Genesis Outrun. I was very impressed.

Today we tried out some 7800 titles for the first time. He really liked Food Fight because you "eat ice cream!" & "throw bananas!" :lol:. I was surprised he wasn't more into Donkey Kong as his favorite stuffed animal is a monkey.

I think I'll get him more into 7800 titles as he gets the concept of controls down. They are mostly nice and simple arcade style games, can be played in bite size chunks, & the graphical style holds my (& likely his) attention better than 2600.

Worth noting we're emulating everything on the TV via a modest PC & USB controller. Less possible toddler damage than using 30 year old consoles.

Interesting JMustang. I can see that. My son is awesome on the phone & tablet. I got my original Gameboy right after I turned 3. I'm thinking next year I'll buy him a GBA SP or DSi.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Sun May 21, 2017 3:45 pm

My daughter is almost 3 now and the highlights of when she's in my office is usually insisting she play with the "hair dryer" which is actually a PS3 Move controller gun.

We recently had to make an emergency McDonald's stop , which consisted of a happy meal for the go-gurt and , yes, a Mario toy. Her biggest question was: "where is his baby?" since on the milk container he was holding Toad, who she presumed was his kid.

In a terrible turn of events my wife , who knew the tipping point this could have been presumably, threw it out behind our backs under the guise of some "no new clutter we have too much stuff" referendum. A monster.
Return to General Gaming