☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Your opinion of the Souls series?

I don't like these games because they are too hard.
No votes
I don't like these games because of another reason.
3%
I hate this series!
3%
I think these games are decent, just decent.
9%
I like these games primarily because they are challenging.
17%
I like these games because of another reason.
17%
I love this series!
23%
I've never played any of these games, but I'd like to.
20%
I've never played any of these games, and I never will.
9%

Total votes: 35

Segata
Next-Gen

Re: ☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Post by Segata »

Dark Souls using the DSIII engine is coming to Switch.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Don't know if you're responding to me or just posting the news, as I was talking about Demon's Souls? Probably the latter. But yeah, I'm partly thinking of picking up Demon's Souls so I can play through it before picking up the Dark Souls remaster in May.

Reprise wrote:So I've been meaning to pick up Demon's Souls for a while. I've been keeping an eye on the price and it's getting steeper (at least here in the UK).

Should I just pick it up, like, right now? Or should I wait till I've got less to play? I did really enjoy Bloodborne and the little I have played of Dark Souls 1. Haven't played 2 or 3.

Also I'm kinda bumbed that the servers are now offline, but oh well. I doubt it'll ever get ported or remastered.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Segata wrote:Dark Souls using the DSIII engine is coming to Switch.

...and PC/PS4/XB1

There's a fancy-shmancy, expensive box set coming out for PS4 in Japan too, so I wonder if we'll see one.

Nice to see a remaster for DS1, since - on a technical level - it could really use the HD-ifying. Even the PC version basically relied on a third party tool to not just be upscaling 720p, and there are some physics that don't quite work if you uncap the framerate.

Regarding Demon's Souls... it's still a relatively inexpensive game, unless you insist on seeking out a limited edition of it. It's still a sub-$20 game here in the US, and realistically, it sold something like 1.8M physical copies worldwide. It's not a rare game (nor, really, are any of the Soulsborne games). So, I wouldn't feel like you need to rush out and snag a copy before it's too late. I wouldn't write off an HD port or something either, especially if Dark Souls Remastered does well.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

isiolia wrote:Regarding Demon's Souls... it's still a relatively inexpensive game, unless you insist on seeking out a limited edition of it. It's still a sub-$20 game here in the US, and realistically, it sold something like 1.8M physical copies worldwide. It's not a rare game (nor, really, are any of the Soulsborne games). So, I wouldn't feel like you need to rush out and snag a copy before it's too late. I wouldn't write off an HD port or something either, especially if Dark Souls Remastered does well.

Ah fair enough. I'm just going from here in the UK. I used to see it for about a fiver (£5) in most game stores here, but it's now between £15-20 second hand and £25 brand new on Amazon. I didn't want it to rise in price any more before I finally got it, but it'll probably maintain that value for a decent while.

I was thinking it would be cool to try and play through it before the Dark Souls remaster, but I suppose it doesn't really matter either way.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

isiolia wrote:
Segata wrote:Dark Souls using the DSIII engine is coming to Switch.

...and PC/PS4/XB1

Well, they wouldn't announce that in a Nintendo Direct so didn't know.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Segata wrote:Well, they wouldn't announce that in a Nintendo Direct so didn't know.

True. I think Bandai-Namco tossed out a Facebook announcement and Youtube trailer out right after (which is basically the same thing that Nintendo showed, just with all platforms listed). Per the comment on that, upscale to 4k/60 on PC/PS4 Pro/XB1X. 1080p/30 on Switch when docked - still likely a nice upgrade over the 7th gen consoles considering they're 720p and have framerate issues in some areas.

Also, the collection I mentioned, thought at ~$500, probably not a lot of appeal. I guess we can hope for a more modest box set.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Glad this finally got announced for real. People were losing hope when nothing was leaked from Bandai Namco's press event last month. I'm really looking forward to it especially since I don't have a version of it with Artorias of the Abyss on disc. It's one of my favorite games of all time so you bet I'm excited to experience it with a new coat of paint.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm going to need some sources on "using the DS3 engine", because as far as I can tell from the wording in articles I've read this basically just sounds like the PC version... ie, improved resolution and framerate. Having it on the Switch could be cool, but if it's just an upscale I can wait on it as I just ran through two new characters about a month ago.

@Reprise: Should you buy the best PS3 game ever made right now? YES. 8)

It's about Bloodborne's length too, so it wouldn't take you as long as the Dark Souls games to knock out.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Whatever they do, it's sure to be the Dark Souls of video game remasters.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gunstar Green wrote:Whatever they do, it's sure to be the Dark Souls of video game remasters.

Goddamn, I just naturally read that in various voices from Giant Bomb... too stupidly funny. :lol: