☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Your opinion of the Souls series?

I don't like these games because they are too hard.
No votes
I don't like these games because of another reason.
3%
I hate this series!
3%
I think these games are decent, just decent.
9%
I like these games primarily because they are challenging.
17%
I like these games because of another reason.
17%
I love this series!
23%
I've never played any of these games, but I'd like to.
20%
I've never played any of these games, and I never will.
9%

Total votes: 35

Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: ☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Post by Reprise »

MrPopo wrote:"It turned out they used HTTP, rather than HTTPS". And then people wonder why there are data breaches.

Oh wow, I missed that bit when I skimmed over the article.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Finally got around to Nioh and apparently wrote a lot about it:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51854&p=1129459#p1129459

Incredible stuff, fans of this thread must play it.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Xeogred wrote:Finally got around to Nioh and apparently wrote a lot about it:

Cool, it's about time =P

Took me a long time to get through as well, but it was more one where once I finished it I had no real urge to keep playing. Whereas, I've played through all of the Souls games multiple times, and will replay them again in the future.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I don't know what's wrong with me in regards to Nioh. I played a little bit and thought it was really cool then I put it down and never got in the mood to continue. Hopefully the right time will come around where it will click with me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I definitely don't think it's one you can casually play on the side or take breaks from when you're committed, haha. Gotta be in the mood and channel your samurai zen if it ever strikes again.

isiolia wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Finally got around to Nioh and apparently wrote a lot about it:

Cool, it's about time =P

Took me a long time to get through as well, but it was more one where once I finished it I had no real urge to keep playing. Whereas, I've played through all of the Souls games multiple times, and will replay them again in the future.

Yeah I can see that. Still I won't complain at all getting 57 hours out of it and I'd be super pumped for a sequel. I might dip back in for all the DLC sometime perhaps or do another run years from now, maybe have a better grasp of things a second time through (it took me awhile to get the regeneration potion ability, so I was often running out of Elixirs prior). In ways I'd say Nioh is more pure action, whereas the Souls stuff feels a bit more serene and dungeon crawly which I love, I'll keep going back to those forever.

I'd say my biggest knocks on Nioh are:
- Could use more enemy variety, bosses too. Some of the gimmicky bosses (giant water blob thing) were more annoying than cool
- Recycled levels for the sub missions kind of sucked. At the same time, it was odd how some sub missions were some of the best levels, brand new ones you wouldn't have seen in the main missions otherwise. Kind of funky how they handled it. I really enjoyed the simple enemy/boss gauntlet side missions, along with the dojo stuff.
- They could probably axe the Twilight Missions thing altogether, since it's just beefier sub missions... at this point I'm starting to think the Souls-types should offer more remixed elements for NG+ or additional modes you can toggle, to keep replays even fresher.

Room for improvement for sure, but still a hugely impressive game all around.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I think a lot of it is that Nioh doesn't really seem built around starting over, or the same style of NG+. The goal would be more to grind level/gear up to the point that you can do the harder variants of missions to get yet better gear, similar to the loop for Diablo III. So if I did want to go back to it, picking back up where I left off would make more sense.

While not necessarily better or worse, I also think Nioh puts a lot more focus on XP/gear than Souls games do. Again, plays into the elements that are -not- similar to that series, like unlocking moves and the constant stream of gear. On the other hand, I think Nioh ultimately has more to master in its combat system, and is more consistently demanding as a result.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Soon.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

I still have the Prepare to Die edition in my Steam library. Played about 3 hours years ago, got distracted by Witcher 3, and never felt much of a need to go back.

I dig the game's concept in general... but I'm no hardcore gamer by any means. Idk if I can handle the difficulty tbh.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Anyone playing Sekiro yet?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I have played the intro part, but that's been about it.