☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Your opinion of the Souls series?

I don't like these games because they are too hard.
No votes
I don't like these games because of another reason.
3%
I hate this series!
3%
I think these games are decent, just decent.
9%
I like these games primarily because they are challenging.
17%
I like these games because of another reason.
17%
I love this series!
23%
I've never played any of these games, but I'd like to.
20%
I've never played any of these games, and I never will.
9%

Total votes: 35

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: ☠ Souls Series Symposium ☠

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:I actually think I might try to take some phone pics of all my characters across all the games. Could be fun to reference (personally). I got platinum's on Demon's, DS2 Scholar, DS3, and Bloodborne.

For fun:

DS1, not much to see here. He's pretty derpy under that helmet like all DS1 characters.

My witchy pyromancer from DS3.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I took pictures in front of a TV in the dark. The results are terrible, but I'm no pro and I'm too lazy to do it again! :mrgreen:

The History of
- XEO SOULS -

Demon's Souls
X - Soul Level 116 - 39:48
X - Soul Level 168 - 74:07 NG++++ [Platinum]
My first Souls character. Did a weird Spear/Katana focus. Didn't really know what I was doing, but I beat it.

God? Demon? This was my platinum run character. SSJ level. As you can see most stats are soft capped, think I was working on Faith at the end.

Dark Souls
X - Level 74 - 28:54 [Failed run]
Ryvius - Level 101 - 42:50
Trapped in the Duke's Archives!? Who knows. Look at how horribly spread out my stats are! And I was using katana's again, which were more technical and harder to use in Dark Souls than Demon's.

Brute force STR Silver Knight. Now we're talking.

Dark Souls 2
Xeo - Level 27 - 6:57 [?]
Ryvius - Level 167 - 65:04
Brute force STR Alonne Knight.
Think the first file was just a quick "I can do better" reboot.

Bloodborne
Xeo - Level 189 - 93:48 NG++ [Platinum]
Vampire Hunter D?

Dark Souls 2 Scholar
X - Level 236 - 103:30 NG++ [Platinum]
Low and behold... same look, hah. Really beefed up that Faith for a Lightning/STR build with Sunlight Blade / Spear.
I would also often dual wield two Greatswords and one shot people.

Dark Souls 3
Xeo - Level 208 - 117:44 NG++ [Platinum]
Silver Knight Overlord, another STR/Faith build. Using the Dark Sword there.

Dark Souls (PC)
Xeo - Level 95 - 33:00
Gless - Level 93 - 20:03
STR/Knight Cleric and Magic Sorcerer.

Roughly 567 hours and counting invested in the Souls verse!
Roughly 620 hours and counting invested in the Souls verse!
Last edited by Xeogred on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Very cool to see people's characters. I'm curious to go look at my old ones now.

Xeogred wrote:Vampire Hunter D?

8)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Why I haven't bothered getting the platinum for Dark Souls 1. Nuff said. NG++ required again and you have a ONE SHOT chance in entire playthroughs to get those dragon tail weapons. F that. :lol:

Mopping up some quests and items in my current run. Only have the Demon Ruins and DLC left. Still thinking I might start up a magic character with the master key starting gift afterwards for some more fun. The only thing I'm iffy on how to handle is DEX with a magic build, since you probably want to prioritize INT and then Attunement, but then DEX increases casting speed I believe. I imagine elemental or raw weapons are the way to go too.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:The only thing I'm iffy on how to handle is DEX with a magic build, since you probably want to prioritize INT and then Attunement, but then DEX increases casting speed I believe. I imagine elemental or raw weapons are the way to go too.

Yeah, early on you'll want to go with raw and then later when your INT is high enough consider imbuing a weapon with magic or enchanted depending on your other stats as they scale with INT. The elementals are like raw and don't scale at all so they're worth looking at for specific instances. Lightning weapons are pretty solid in Dark Souls 1 against a large assortment of enemies in my experience.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Oh yeah, think I've mentioned I've been mainlining this run with a Lightning Bastard Sword. Rocking Ornstein's armor now too. Not sure I ever knew about that vendor under the bridge later on...

I think I shall go ahead and do the DLC. Took down the Guardian on my first try. I'm just going to tank the dragon and Manus if needed. Although Ornstein's armor is pretty thick too, it's like Mid-Heavy (heavier than Brass/Silver Knight, etc, but not quite Stone/Golem/Havel).

I forgot how depressing this game gets later on with some NPC's. Speaking of, I finished Siegmeyer's quest.
True spoilers:

:cry:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Took out all of the DLC tonight in one go and I have to say, I've come around to liking it a lot more this time around. I think some of the story bits and characters maybe went over me last time I played it, but I connected and got more out of now. It's bizarre picking up items off of an old carcass when you know who they were, this game has felt even darker than I remembered. Gough is still one of my favorite NPC's haha. I like how he suggests knowing the Anor Londo blacksmith too.

Manus wasn't too tough with Havel armor and I took down Kalameet on my first try. I completely forgot about the Township area, which was the highlight this time. This area rules and felt a lot like DS2's DLC1, some of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, it was just a nice awesome mix of everything. I guess my memories meshed that area up with the other games. Royal Wood wasn't too bad and the Chasm was shorter and less problematic than I remembered. I had the most trouble on the infamous iconic boss fight this time around, you guys know who. Everything about his design, advanced moveset, etc, feels very Dark Souls 3 in amazing ways.

Maxing out some weapons here and there. But all that's left is to be a monster and take out the NPC's for the drops I guess, haha. I hate doing that... but I want those items!

If Manus and Kalameet weren't too tough, I think it should be an easier time with Gwyn this round...

Been an incredible journey once again, but I still don't hesitate to call Demon's my favorite. Dark Souls feels the most dreary and melancholic with better storytelling, but Demon's is more surreal and still something you just can't put into words.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Gough is cool because he's one of the only giants you come across that shows they're not a race of dumb brutes and can be very intelligent and eloquent. It really makes you feel much worse any time you see chained up giant slaves throughout the series.

I'm glad you came around a little more on the DLC because I really think it's one of the best parts of Dark Souls 1.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I was tinkering with PS3 emulation and I'm so close to getting DeS running but just don't... quite... have the horsepower. So close but so far away. :lol:

Something to look forward to the next time I upgrade my PC. The emulation will probably have advanced a bit by then anyway. I was surprised at just how close I got though, but just not close enough to be enjoyable to play through.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The PS3 is a great BD player, the best PSX player (infinite memory cards), has tons of PS1/PS2 classics on PSN... and Demon's Souls. Plenty of reasons to own one!

Just beat Gwyn on my second try this time. Not bad! Clocked in 33 hours at level 95. Gough was the hardest NPC to fight haha, even killed me once.