What retro games would you want combined into something new?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

What retro games would you want combined into something new?

Post by dsheinem »

I know there's a history of "cross-over" games where ideas, characters, etc. from two or more existing games get put into a new title that combines them (the Switch's upcoming Puyo Puyo Tetris is just a recent example)...but I think that this is an under-utliized idea for most game companies (aside from fighting and racing games, perhaps).

If it were up to you, what retro games would you like to see combined into one new title? Perhaps you'd like to see the Double Dragon crew team up with the Streets of Rage cast in a game that tasks them all with defeating the characters from Metal Slug in a Metal Slug-style game (using just their bare hands). Maybe you'd want to see Link try to wander around in a 2D overhead representation of Sonic's world (Mobius?) speaking to various Sonic characters who can help him learn the stealth skills and tactical attacks needed to defeat Big Boss. Maybe you'd want to play a version of Gradius that incorporates enemies from the Mega Man universe and uses a similar level progression/weapon unlock system. Maybe you want to see what Dante from Devil May Cry could do against the collosi in Shadow of the Collossus. Maybe you want to incorporate Ballz 3D's aesthetics and fighting style into a new Daikatana game that blends their mechanics and universes.

What ideas do you have?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What retro games would you want combined into something

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

A remake of Zelda that plays like Ys Book I & II. Link can grind for XP and combat is done via the bump system. Dungeons are longer, harder, and multiple in-and-out trips are required to complete them. The big reveal is that Hyrule is but a sector of the world of Ys, and that Feena and Reah are two of the triforce goddesses. This sets the tone for the sequel: a sidescrolling action-RPG taking elements of Ys III and Zelda II, where the player can swap between Link and Adol as playable characters.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Anything and Ballz.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Neat topic starter Dsh.

I would combine the exploration and power up system of Super Metroid with a beat em up like Streets of Rage or Ninja Turtles.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Not very original on this but, I'd like a lite sim crossed with some action. You know, Actraiser, since the sequel was trash and dropped it, so yeah Actraiser 3. I'd be there day one when the doors opened on that game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Bionic Commando + Super Metroid

King's Field + Zelda

F-Zero + Kirby's Dream Course
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:A remake of Zelda that plays like Ys Book I & II. Link can grind for XP and combat is done via the bump system.

I think you should know you're a terrible person.

I still want Blizzard Activision to make Rock and Roll Racing 2, where you play co-op with one player on the controller steering and one player on the guitar and you get speed boosts and power ups depending on how well he plays.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

MrPopo wrote:I still want Blizzard Activision to make Rock and Roll Racing 2, where you play co-op with one player on the controller steering and one player on the guitar and you get speed boosts and power ups depending on how well he plays.

Reminds me of that one SNES Lamborgini racing game where if you have a Super Scope handy, one player can drive while the other shoots the opposition. I've always liked the idea of two people playing different games that affect each other depending on how each person plays, like Maboshi's Arcade on WiiWare.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:Bionic Commando + Super Metroid

King's Field + Zelda

F-Zero + Kirby's Dream Course

I would play each and every one of these.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

2D Sonic + Metroid.

Kid Chameleon + Any game with a fucking world map