Best Retro Controller Options for PC?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Best Retro Controller Options for PC?

Post by TSTR »

Also, you run across one of those official Sega Saturn USB controllers (not the white/blue PLAY SEGA el cheapo ones you see everywhere), they likely ain't gonna be inexpensive.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

TSTR wrote:Oh yeah, mappers like Xpadder, JoyToKey, and Pinnacle Game Profiler should definitely be mentioned. I find them extremely valuable in getting things to work the way I like. Although, supposedly Steam does this now too through its overlay/API, but I've yet to try it.

It does, and they're adding to it more. Basically just leveraging what the Steam Controller uses, so you can configure them in all kinds of ways. Save profiles that are stored in the cloud, can be shared, etc.
You can use it on non-Steam apps if you launch through that, but you do need to use Big Picture mode.

Regarding Saturn controllers, the Hori Fighting Commander is pretty close to the layout (albeit with some extra shoulder buttons)

http://stores.horiusa.com/fighting-comm ... station-4/
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

This is that rockfire adapter you spoke of right?
https://www.amazon.com/game-Adapter-Roc ... B004HAX7OU

I see almost every single time I hit goodwill an old style joystick or game pad. They not so surprisingly do have a little resale value, some a lot. I'd think maybe at the worst getting the adapter just to test the things out with be cool, but in the case of finding just the right one for nostalgia reasons perhaps (like the old gravis game pad), or the old black flight stick joystick with the red trigger and top buttons I used with Wing Commander around 1991 would be wicked.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That sucks there isn't a good Genesis 6-pad alternative. The Buffalo SNES pad sounds legit from what everyone here has said.

I have some Saturn controllers though, so the adapter sounds like a good option. Any links?

I used a two in one PS2 adapter for like a decade and still bust that out sometimes. But it will be cooler to have more authentic controllers for whatever you're specifically emulating.

The Xbone controller is great for newer stuff... but I tried using that for Streets of Rage Remake a year back or something and it felt like torture. Not good for retro stuff at all.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

You gotta admit that the XB1 d-pad is actually somewhat serviceable though, unlike the abomination on the 360 controller.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's still what made me want to cry though, since I tried playing SoRR with that D-pad. Didn't feel good at all, but yeah it's better than the 360's. lol
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love the Xbox One dpad. Been rocking it on PC since drivers were available.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

XBOX One controller on PC is legit.
Xeogred wrote:That sucks there isn't a good Genesis 6-pad alternative. The Buffalo SNES pad sounds legit from what everyone here has said.

I have some Saturn controllers though, so the adapter sounds like a good option. Any links?

I posted three good options for Genesis, dude.

If you want a Saturn controller adapter I suggest you search eBay for "mayflash 3-in-1". The advantage here (aside from n64 and PS1 support) is that the mayflash adapte supports regular Saturn controllers AND Saturn 3D controllers. Most adapters do not work with the 3D controller.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Best Retro: The Blissbox 4-in-1
My favorite: PS3 or PS4 via bluetooth using the CronusMAX
Most used: Everyone knows that there's an Xbox 360 Wireless gaming receiver plugged in, and it's rock-solid and requires no configuration for up to 4 players. The games never require setup, so everyone grabs the 360 controller color they prefer and the gaming begins. No matter what, all the others require some more work and they fail at being easily grabbable. The 360's d-pad is crap... So I should buy some X-bone controllers :P

Bonus fact: The Blissbox 4 Play is compatible with all modern consoles and is still the best controller adapter, tho when combined with the CronusMAX, all bases are covered because everything is easily configured and even lesser retro controllers can be set up to have macros and do more than the sum of their buttons. I really wish I'd played with it more before I wrote this, but I see some really impressive macro key setups on the repo.

Saturn 3D from Mayflash? I thought Skunx - the maker of the Blissbox is the only one to ever poll and create support for the Saturn 360 analog controller for PC. Well, Mayflash did win the DDR controller adapter lag competitions too - their tech is better overall. Those DDR freaks don't mess around with their millisecond lag counts.

I still occasionally use my Mayflash 3-in-1. It's got drivers for even the oldest OSes so it's great for those old emulators that aren't compatible with modern Windows (outside of dosbox/virtualization). I really like that some emulators used to use MIDI for their sound output. It's so easy to redirect and modify/record.

I signed up to ssega.com/Sega Retro/ PlaySega back in the day to get the controller. It was totally legit - a great deal. Doubt it's available anymore.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Anapan wrote:Bonus fact: The Blissbox 4 Play is compatible with all modern consoles and is still the best controller adapter, tho when combined with the CronusMAX, all bases are covered because everything is easily configured and even lesser retro controllers can be set up to have macros and do more than the sum of their buttons. I really wish I'd played with it more before I wrote this, but I see some really impressive macro key setups on the repo.

Tell me more.

I only know that the Cronus Max will allow a xbone controller on a ps4. But this is the first I have heard about using the Blissbox on a console. To be able to play Rare Replay with the correct controllers would be awesome.