What was your gaming history?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: What was your gaming history?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Anayo wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Are we talking when we got each platform we own or what and when each of our "main" gaming platforms were?

Each main generational upgrade. Like, "Oh, in 1992 I upgraded from an NES to a SNES, then in 1995 from SNES to a PlayStation." If retro stuff bought years after its heyday were included in there, I think it would get too complicated. XD

Ah, in that case, if we're talking the big upgrades from one "main" console per generation to the next:

1992 - NES
1998 - Nintendo 64
2003 - Gamecube
2008 - Wii
2012 - Wii U
2017 - Switch

I've always been a Nintendo guy first and foremost.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Anayo wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Are we talking when we got each platform we own or what and when each of our "main" gaming platforms were?

Each main generational upgrade. Like, "Oh, in 1992 I upgraded from an NES to a SNES, then in 1995 from SNES to a PlayStation." If retro stuff bought years after its heyday were included in there, I think it would get too complicated. XD

Ah, in that case, if we're talking the big upgrades from one "main" console per generation to the next:

1992 - NES
1998 - Nintendo 64
2003 - Gamecube
2008 - Wii
2012 - Wii U
2017 - Switch

I've always been a Nintendo guy first and foremost.

Woah, you're like, purebred or something.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

1986...ish? - Apple IIe
1990...ish. - NES, Mario/Duck Hunt set.
1991...ish - PC - 386DX/40
1992 - SNES
1995 - Playstation
1996ish - Mac - Performa 6320CD (simply the first one I owned)
2000 - Dreamcast
2007 - Xbox 360
2014 - Playstation 4

If you're just looking for major firsts or first in a gen. I've generally wound up owning most/all of the major platforms since fifth gen, and have had a good number of different PCs and Macs at this point.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

marlowe221 wrote:Someone needs to come in here and post something earlier than 1988! I'm feeling old all of the sudden...

Bone? Where are you? :wink:

I had an Atari 2600 in 83-ish and some sort of BASIC computer.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

My gaming history is kinda weird, but it all makes sense if you look at it one way: You go where the RPGs are. Each of my systems after the NES were calibrated towards that purpose, at least in terms of major purchases/gifts.

So that progression effectively looked like this:

NES -> SNES -> PSX -> PS2 -> 360 -> PS4

Yes, for a while there, the 360 did have more JRPGs. No, really. The list is obviously much more complicated, but it certainly explains why I got a PSX before an N64, a PS2 before the GC (and the GC before the XBOX), and the PS4 is my choice now.

Handhelds are just flat-out easier. Nintendo all the way, supplement with a hacked PSP, and 3DS over the Vita. (The PSP and DS were both fantastic in their own ways for RPGs.) Everything else was cool to have, but not really necessary. (Defenders of Oasis was cool on GG, though.)
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Stark wrote:
marlowe221 wrote:Someone needs to come in here and post something earlier than 1988! I'm feeling old all of the sudden...

Bone? Where are you? :wink:

I had an Atari 2600 in 83-ish and some sort of BASIC computer.

Thank you!
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1986: 2600 (dating back to the 70s, I reckon, parents bought it for themselves)
1988: 7800
1989: NES
1990: GB
1991: SNES
2001: GBC & DC
2012: GBA & GC
2015: DS
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

1983 - Born with older brothers owning an atari 2600.
1987 - Apple IIGS purchased on an insanely stormy night. The car ride home was frightening.
1990 - PC
1992 - Genesis was purchased by my older brothers who set aside their hateful differences and pooled tgeir money together.

1994 - Sega CD was a gift to my brothers and I for christmas by our rich aunt. Opening it on Christmas eve and played it all night.

1996 - Gameboy was given to me by my oldest brother as a hand me down and my best friend and I bought Pokemon Red and Blue to play together.

1997 - Nintendo 64 was bought after my cousin made me super jealous with it.

1998 - Sega Saturn was bought on super clearance by my oldest brother with a huge bevy of top tier games.

1999 - Dreamcast Bought by my oldest brother as a gift for my birthday.

2002 - Playstation 2 was bought even though I swore never to love anything but sega.

2002 - Xbox was bought by my oldest brother

2003- Gamecube purchased by me for super cheap with The Zelda compilation disc

2003 - Gameboy Advanced SP was bought.

2004 - Nintendo DS given to me for Christmas by my girlfriend now wife. They took it out if the box and replaced it with a stone temple pilots cd... almost cried cause I really thought they didn't actually get it for me. Took me forever to realize my brother was standing behind me playing it.

2006 - Wii was purchased on launch day. Some friends and I stayed at a Meijer in line at 10 am in their couch/futon section. They allowed us to hook up a TV and a molded xbox and the entire group of people played games together and have a blast.

2007 - Virtual Boy was a gift from my best friend at the time with 4 games. Love that thing.

2008 - Xbox 360 was given to me red ringed for $20 bucks. Got it fixed and the drive died soon after.

2010 - PS3 was bought with a huge amount of blockbuster credit for when they went out of business.

2013 - Wii U was bought on a whim. My wife asked if I wanted to go get one and I laughed it off. A week later she said she was serious and we grabbed the ZombiU bundle.

2013 - 3DS was bought with Christmas money with animal crossing new leaf and Mario & Luigi Dream Team.
Last edited by BogusMeatFactory on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:1999 - Bought by my oldest brother as a gift for my birthday.

What did you get in 1999? :lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Anayo wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:1999 - Bought by my oldest brother as a gift for my birthday.

What did you get in 1999? :lol:

Whoops!! Dreamcast. Fixed
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.