What is your GOTY for 2016? (*RELEASED* in 2016)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: What is your GOTY for 2016? (*RELEASED* in 2016)

Post by Xeogred »

Your post melts my brain. Go beat Doom.

For me the best standouts were:

1. Dark Souls 3
2. Doom
3. Titanfall 2

Biggest disappointments:

1. Final Fantasy XV, not in that it was 10 years of overhype, but I had a blast for the first 20 or so hours. Then the second half destroys it and I realized how thin the gameplay was.

2. Dishonored 2, my first Steam refund. I bought a GTX 1060 for this basically and it should have run it perfectly, as it played Mankind Divided and Witcher 3 on high settings. Nope, worst PC port/launch I've ever experienced. I got tricked a bit because the first game was so optimized, so I assumed Arkane knew what they were doing. Surprise engine switch! I'll be extremely weary of any other Bethesda release in the future.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Xeogred wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:It was a good year for adventure games. With the likes of The Witness, Firewatch and Obduction, it was continuing proof that the genre is back in action with amazing puzzles, great world building and entertaining and witty dialog.

Nice! Do you think someone that isn't familiar with the Myst games can jump into Obduction? Giant Bomb turned me onto that one and The Witness, they look really cool and like something that could click with me.

Firewatch was awesome and I'm starting to love these new first person adventure games. I would say SOMA is the peak from what I've played of them so far. Gone Home and Layers of Fear were great too.

As with all games, the major hurdle is understanding the flow and mindset of the developer. Obduction has core themes and elements that are the pillar to their puzzles. When going in trying to understand the why's and how's of the world, you will undoubtedly succeed. No previous myst experience necessary.

The Witness is a completely different beast. The core there are these standalone puzzles that serve no real mechanical purpose. Thus isn't a bad thing, just that it had literal puzzles whereas obduction focuses heavily on practical mechanical interactions and physical concepts.

I only have one real gripe with obduction and that is a single puzzle near the end... I wouldn't blame a person for looking it up. It is very high concept and brilliant, but alienating for some people.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

It's easily Dark Souls III for me. I might as well just list the games that had a fighting chance had it not been another Souls year.

----

Dead Rising 4 - These games are an acquired taste. I happen to love them dearly and this is the biggest and best. I never get sick of the terrible humor, bugs, loads of Capcom Easter eggs, and chasing ridiculous achievements.

The Division - Got my modern combat, societal breakdown, and MMO fixes all mashed into one bundle. Score.

Fallout 4 DLC - This probably doesn't count, but I'm listing it anyway. It's the only season pass I've experienced with enough content to make it worth the extra purchase. It's BEEFY and extends the late 2015 adventure with multiple 2016 releases.

Smite - This is another cheater considering the original release is a couple of years old, but I'm counting the PS4 release that my buddy talked me into playing. I haven't jumped into a MOBA since DOTA 1 and the addiction is back, unfortunately.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Too lazy to re-write or paste my review. Click here for my review.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Xeogred wrote:Your post melts my brain. Go beat Doom.

I just didn't know where to go with it. DOOM, Pokemon Go. And now that I think about it, if a re-release counts Dragon Quest VII on 3DS. I just barely bought any new games in all of 2016 that were released in that year as what did show up looked very boring, or something I couldn't justify $60 for knowing I'd never finish after a few hours.

That's why I asked if a game released new to a platform would work as Torchlight II is fantastic, yet threw out there a game from a year earlier but did last year if it were allowed. I do play some modern stuff, but I don't always get it the year it comes out.