Microsoft Cancels Scalebound

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Microsoft Cancels Scalebound

Post by wclem »

Sadly unless you only want multi platform games you are gonna lose out with Microsoft. They just do not offer many eclusive games that are worth playing. I do not like Halo and Gears of War is not the end all be all. Sony and Nintendo bring things to the table that Microsoft does not. It is almost like they only want to cater to shooter fans. You need good exclusive content on store shelves to push your console.

Backwards compatibility does not make exclusive content. If I want to play a 360 game, I play it on my 360. I do not sit there with the hope it is one of the limited titles that works. Microsoft blows a lot of hot air out, wish they would follow through with things.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

wclem wrote:Backwards compatibility does not make exclusive content. If I want to play a 360 game, I play it on my 360. I do not sit there with the hope it is one of the limited titles that works. Microsoft blows a lot of hot air out, wish they would follow through with things.

Their backwards compatibility is GREATLY exaggerated too. We are led to believe that the XBOX ONE can play old game discs from the XBOX 360. That's just a half truth.

If you look at their complete list of backwards compatible titles, you'll notice a trend. A significant portion of their "backwards compatible" games aren't even xbox 360 games! They're the emulated games in the Rare Replay collection, emulated Sega Genesis/Master System games, and generic stuff like Peggle from the XBLA marketplace.

This really ticks me off, but I don't hear anyone talking about it. No one even acknowledges that the "backwards compatibility" of the XBOX ONE is not what we have been led to believe.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Similar to the backwards compatibility of the 360—not all it's cracked up to be. If you hit the Wikipedia page, tons of games have documented issues.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Basically, the Xbox One has no true backwards compatibility; it's really just half-assed emulation.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:This really ticks me off, but I don't hear anyone talking about it. No one even acknowledges that the "backwards compatibility" of the XBOX ONE is not what we have been led to believe.

I don't think MS led anyone to believe that it was comprehensive - from the start they've stated that it's select titles, and have asked for feedback on which to add next. It's emulation, using per-game settings, similar to original Xbox games on 360.

It's not all titles, and it's not necessarily perfect, but at least Microsoft is putting some effort in. The main thing to me is that they keep doing so. :lol: As imperfect as Xbox games on 360 can be, the biggest problem is that they stopped bothering with it.
That said, I think there's a lot more motivation to keep adding titles, between a lot more crossover on retail life of the Xbox One and 360, digital sales, and potentially the current Xbox platform continuing through multiple hardware upgrades.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

isiolia wrote:I don't think MS led anyone to believe that it was comprehensive - from the start they've stated that it's select titles, and have asked for feedback on which to add next. It's emulation, using per-game settings, similar to original Xbox games on 360.

It's not all titles, and it's not necessarily perfect, but at least Microsoft is putting some effort in. The main thing to me is that they keep doing so. :lol: As imperfect as Xbox games on 360 can be, the biggest problem is that they stopped bothering with it.
That said, I think there's a lot more motivation to keep adding titles, between a lot more crossover on retail life of the Xbox One and 360, digital sales, and potentially the current Xbox platform continuing through multiple hardware upgrades.

I can respect your observation that it is important that Microsoft keeps adding more backwards compatibility.

That said, fourteen months later they still haven't delivered on their initial promise.
Microsoft wrote:Xbox One Backward Compatibility. You’ll be able to play over a hundred Xbox 360 games on Xbox One starting today, with hundreds more to come. Xbox 360 game play on your Xbox One includes the added benefits of Xbox One features such as screenshots, in-home streaming, and Game DVR. You can even enjoy multiplayer with friends playing Backward Compatible titles on Xbox 360. To start playing your Xbox 360 games on Xbox One after 12pm PST today, refresh your Game Collection to see your pre-purchased, digital Xbox 360 titles from the Backward Compatible title list in your ready to install queue or simply insert the disc for a supported Xbox 360 title and download the game to start playing it on Xbox One. In addition, for a limited time, all Xbox One owners can play backward compatible games on Xbox One with the multiplayer benefits normally available only with an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

source: http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/12/new-xbo ... ins-today/

In November of 2015 Microsoft promised us 100 XBOX 360 games would be backwards compatible. This was a half truth. Thirty percent of those "100 XBOX 360 games" were the Rare Replay collection. For reference, the Rare Replay collection contains one 360 game and twenty-nine games from older platforms.

Fourteen months after this initial press release, we still don't have "100 XBOX 360 games" playable on XBOX one. It's true that Microsoft did not lead us to believe that it was comprehensive. Rather, they misled us to believe that the backwards compatible games were 360 games. This was a half truth.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:In November of 2015 Microsoft promised us 100 XBOX 360 games would be backwards compatible. This was a half truth. Thirty percent of those "100 XBOX 360 games" were the Rare Replay collection. For reference, the Rare Replay collection contains one 360 game and twenty-nine games from older platforms.

It (technically) wasn't, and it's simply not the case with regard to Rare Replay. The list of the first 104 games made backwards compatible is right here (the current list is here ).
Meanwhile, the list of games in Rare Replay can be found here.

Now, there's a decent amount crossover, but it's not nearly the entire Rare Replay, and it makes a good bit of sense.

First is that Replay actually includes six 360 titles, five of which were disc based: Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Piñata, Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Jetpack Refueled was digital only AFAIK). Given that MS does own Rare, it's fairly logical that they'd start with those and other IPs they own.

Second is that a number of the other Rare titles were already available digitally on the 360 store, so referring to them as "360 games" isn't entirely wrong, at least with respect to the full intent of the program.
Part of what the program is doing is allowing people to carry their digital purchases forward to the new console, right? If a fair number of what those could potentially be are ports or emulated titles, then it's still beneficial to the end user to include them in the effort.

Now, that being said, I do understand your complaint with it, or the general feeling that MS is padding their numbers with XBLA titles. Skimming down the list of titles, I don't really even disagree with the sentiment. :lol: Personally, I would rather see a lot more disc based games on there.
However, I also think folks that maybe have a more substantial library of digital 360 purchases are happy to see them available, even if they're technically N64, Genesis, arcade, or whatever games.

It does seem like they're continuing to solve technical issues as well. Initially, for instance, they couldn't do multi-disc games. Arguably, solving that was something they showcased when giving away Lost Odyssey to celebrate 300 games on the compatibility list.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Guys, let's take a minute here...

The hottest X1 topic and news for the last several months and half this thread is (not sure how it detracted to that)

... about backwards compatibility for playing older games.

Okay yeah this is racketboy and we like older things, but I am trying to be a little snarky here. It seriously seems like all I read in 2016 for "exciting" news under the X1 was that "X game is now backward compatible!" really sums it up. They are on life support.

You're really optimistic about the Scorpio isiolia haha, unless it's like a complete retry of the X1 with how hard the launch flopped, I don't really see how they're going to bring anyone back or do anything good. And I keep hearing from behind the scenes it sounds like MS themselves have the entire Xbox brand under the gun.

I wouldn't miss them if they go away by this point. And I feel like with Sony still being alive to this day almost exclusively thanks to Playstation (and they realized it), even if they didn't have direct competition I don't think they'd get too lazy and would still keep their platform going strong. Since I haven't seen any competition at all this entire gen so far, and Sony continues to knock it out of the park with first party support and whatnot.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Heh, well, all I've really said regarding Scorpio is that I wouldn't be surprised if MS is sitting on some announcements/launch dates to coincide with it.

Backwards compatibility is just odd, since at this point, MS is really the only one even trying.

Otherwise, while MS does have some cool stuff in the works, most of it is with VR/AR in the Creator's Update or whatnot for Windows 10.

Personally though, I don't want to see them just go away. Competition is good. The PS4 is as good as it is because Sony came to win. To be fair too, in the U.S., it's actually a fairly close race, and MS has adjusted strategy a lot to get it to that point. Globally...completely different story :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I wonder if MS has just flat out continually lost money by taking Xbox to Japan. Sounds like a disaster over there haha. But yeah I guess sales have been decent lately with some good sales and console packages. They're not going to talk about their numbers anymore... unless they're out on top for a month! lol