Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:58 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I forget, have you played part VIII yet?

Not yet. I have beaten DQ, DQII, DQIII, DQIV, DQVII, and DQIX. After a long break, I will probably play through the DQIV remake. (I didn't really appreciate the series when I beat it almost 17 years ago, and I think I will enjoy it much more now.) After that, I will take on either DQV or DQVIII. I have read that those are the best in the series, and I am really looking forward to them, particularly DQVIII.

Also, I agree that DQVII is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That is, the game is too long and life is too short for you to play through it twice! :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

dsheinem wrote:out of curiosity, where?

Nothing major, just when I was searching for quest lists and such to try and make sure I tagged everything I did see the occasional thread pop up questioning where the good white guys were or similar (GameFAQs I think). Seemed like a very small minority of people though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I forget, have you played part VIII yet?
Also, I agree that DQVII is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That is, the game is too long and life is too short for you to play through it twice! :lol:

I'm not sure what this says about me, given that I've beaten the PSX version, and figure I'll eventually get back to the game... after Zelda, which may suck up 100 hours of my time as well. Oy vey.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:19 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Dragon Quest VII is the all-you-can-eat buffet of Dragon Quest games.

Great description, and congratulations on finishing such a gargantuan JRPG classic (well, remade classic that is). Definitely agree there's some serious bang for your buck with DQVII.

Dragon Quest IV (DS) is fantastic, and Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) is phenomenal. You've saved the best for last, willingly or no. After you've had some rest from the series, it'll eventually be fun to read your opinions of these two when you review them.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm

isiolia wrote:
dsheinem wrote:out of curiosity, where?

Nothing major, just when I was searching for quest lists and such to try and make sure I tagged everything I did see the occasional thread pop up questioning where the good white guys were or similar (GameFAQs I think). Seemed like a very small minority of people though.

Yeah, it's basically that group of people who get really bent out of shape when their heterosexual white maleness is not being catered to. They really got bent out of shape about Horizon Zero Dawn.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I know nothing of modern games or the disaster that is "gaming culture" but wouldn't these dudes want attractive heroic women in their games?

It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot. "I went to this convention the other week and there were too many good-looking nerdy women dammit!!!"
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Oh, those poor little snowflakes. Now that Horizon Zero Dawn has been released, how will they ever find another action game to play as a white hetero male lead when they have only 99.9% of all other action games to choose from?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:27 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I know nothing of modern games or the disaster that is "gaming culture" but wouldn't these dudes want attractive heroic women in their games?

It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot. "I went to this convention the other week and there were too many good-looking nerdy women dammit!!!"

This is a road you don't want to go down. It makes zero sense and the more you try to figure it out the more baffled and pissed off you'll become.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's like the complaints about "fake geek girls" and whatnot.

I hear this term a lot in regards to women and sci-fi, too. Clearly the people who say it have no grasp of the history of the genre they profess to love.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

I don't suffer from white male guilt or whatever, but I am damn sure tired of this protagonist aesthetic:

Give me more strong black women as my leads. I enjoyed that in Urban Chaos and Assassin's Creed III: Liberation.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming