Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by MrPopo Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Exhuminator wrote:What about the Monster Hunter angle though?

I'd say HZD is closer on the Monster Hunter stuff. In Zelda you're killing dudes to get some upgrade materials to increase the strength of your armor, but it's pretty optional. The combat is built around the dodge into flurry (sort of this game's take on Wind Waker's dodge roll super damage maneuver) so if you understand the enemy attack tells you don't actually need protective armor.

I've completed eight shrines...

I played for 8 hours on Saturday, 14 hours on Sunday, and 3-4 hours for each of the past week nights. I also focused on getting all the towers ASAP and in the process either stumbled upon or marked a lot of shrines. I haven't done much in the way of sidequests; mostly stuff that was on the way to something I was already doing or to collect materials I already had.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Exhuminator wrote:What about the Monster Hunter angle though?

There's also a fair amount of crafting in Demon's Souls, and the cooking/crafting in BOTW feels very similar to the crafting in that game. The approaches to combat are also similar, although the penalty for failure in BOTW is much less severe than it is in Demon's Souls or King's Field. (This is a good thing in BOTW, by the way. It encourages creativity, and it highlights the amount of freedom the game give you in overcoming its obstacles.) The game is also much less linear than either The Legend of Zelda or Demon's Souls.

So...basically, I see a lot of From Software's influence on the game's mechanics. Certainly, the game much more forgiving than From Software's output, but its approach to combat and environmental hazards is similar. (If a bokoblin stabs you, you die. If you fall of a cliff, you die. If you fall into a freezing river, you die.) It is, to my knowledge, drastically larger than any From Software game, and its goals are a lot different. Nonetheless, it is clear to me that the people on the design team spent a lot of time studying the games in the Souls series.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:50 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:it is clear to me that the people on the design team spent a lot of time studying the games in the Souls series.

I got the same vibe reading about it and watching videos. It's like BotW's designers tried to hybridize popular open world WRPG mechanics, in tandem with Souls' gameplay, and a dash of Monster Hunter cooking/crafting/weapon degradation, wrapped around a Zelda premise. Which totally proved successful for them, but at the same time comes across as a bit zeitgeist-derivative. Though nowadays every game is derivative of some other game at some point. So fair's fair, and the formula obviously works well.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:56 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:There's also a fair amount of crafting in Demon's Souls, and the cooking/crafting in BOTW feels very similar to the crafting in that game.

For equipment, perhaps, but none of the Souls games use crafting for consumables (that I recall). You buy them, find them, or have an supply that's automatically replenished.

BoTW, you're looking at making food or potions or whatnot to both heal you, but (potentially) allow you to get past challenges. Whether that's surviving the cold, having stamina to climb something, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm

everything is the Dark Souls of something.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

As far as the games that BotW takes elements from are concerned, I wonder to what degree those ones were inspired by a previous Zelda or Nintendo game. Circle of life, baby.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, I was going to say, as good as HZD is, it's apparently very derivative of games that have come before it. Both of these games are taking elements from others and putting their own spins on them.

I haven't played HZD, but is it fair to say that perhaps it is a little more structured as far as its open world goes, compared to Zelda? I'm just struck by how organic everything feels in Zelda.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:10 pm

noiseredux wrote:everything is the Dark Souls of something.

If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Omerta wrote:As far as the games that BotW takes elements from are concerned, I wonder to what degree those ones were inspired by a previous Zelda or Nintendo game. Circle of life, baby.

I remember reading a breakdown one time where someone showed all the influences that formed the original Zelda. I wish I could find that now and show you guys (just a fun read). But it only proves your point further; every game is mostly a derivative influence of other games before it. And that's perfectly understandable.
ElkinFencer10 wrote:If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.

This man speaks the truth.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:everything is the Dark Souls of something.

If we're talking difficulty, Zelda II is the Dark Souls of the Zelda series.

Demon Souls is the Dark Souls of Bloodborn.
Return to General Gaming