Page 84 of 333

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 am
by MrPopo
Exhuminator wrote:That H:ZD kicks ass, that's it's a thoroughly modern action-adventure-RPG, and that I'd rather play it then BotW.

Not sure where you derived the last point from Dsh's post. Everything he said is true and I still put the game down for Zelda.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am
by dsheinem
MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:That H:ZD kicks ass, that's it's a thoroughly modern action-adventure-RPG, and that I'd rather play it then BotW.

Not sure where you derived the last point from Dsh's post. Everything he said is true and I still put the game down for Zelda.


I did prefer playing it over BotW...but then immediately last night picked up BotW again since I had finished the main campaign in H:ZD.

BotW is a charming game and an exceedingly excellent Zelda title in its own right, but H:ZD just offers a lot more refinement of some similar mechanics, a brand new world to explore with a compelling story that drives you to do so, etc. It is hard for me not to compare them, but I thought Popo did a good job explaining his take on their different approaches to the open world here. (I would disagree that H:ZD has only "light traversal" though, and I think its lines of sight are even more compelling towards exploration than BotW.)

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 am
by BogusMeatFactory
I think both games are great. I don't know why some folks feel the need to deride one in favor of another. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 am
by Xeogred
Horizon looks amazing but probably not Zelda's level for me. For me personally Nioh, Nier, and Yakuza 0, and maybe Prey are bigger priorities. But for a new IP it looks incredible. What an onslaught. Anyone who still thinks this gen isn't good... I don't even know man. 2016 was amazing and 2017 already looks better.

I'm not really feeling the hype for Mass Effect Andromeda even though I loved the trilogy last gen. Even if it doesn't stick the landing, in this onslaught of S+ games it probably won't even bother me. A bit more skeptical "wait and see" mode on that one for me.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 am
by Exhuminator
MrPopo wrote:Not sure where you derived the last point from Dsh's post.

I derived it from him writing this:
dsheinem wrote:I have even been generally uninterested in the also-excellent Breath of the Wild because I wanted to keep moving through this game more than pick up my Switch.

Which meant that he preferred H:ZD over BotW, as I believe I also would.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am
by BogusMeatFactory
Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Not sure where you derived the last point from Dsh's post.

I derived it from him writing this:
dsheinem wrote:I have even been generally uninterested in the also-excellent Breath of the Wild because I wanted to keep moving through this game more than pick up my Switch.

Which meant that he preferred H:ZD over BotW, as I believe I also would.


Why did you need Dave to reaffirm your perspective? You clearly made your mind up long ago. It's ok though. Everyone has their tastes and preferences.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 am
by Exhuminator
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Why did you need Dave to reaffirm your perspective?

Because at the time I was the only one here saying as such. So it was nice to see another member express the same sentiment after having access to both games.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 am
by BogusMeatFactory
Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Why did you need Dave to reaffirm your perspective?

Because at the time I was the only one here saying as such. So it was nice to see another member express the same sentiment after having access to both games.


I have heard lots of praise for both games and rightfully so. Both are spectacular.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am
by Ack
All those games you guys like suck. Except for Pong. Pong is love. Pong is life.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 am
by Exhuminator
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I have heard lots of praise for both games and rightfully so. Both are spectacular.

And I simply prefer one over the other. That doesn't equate to me saying BotW sucks. It's quite obviously a life affirming astoundingly amazing day one system selling blow your mind into itty bitty pieces Zelda of the century.