Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)

I popped Neutopia II into my console, turned 'er on, and was greeted by a rather impressive scene of flashing lightning and some distinctly familiar music. Hey now, that's just a variant of the Neutopia title screen music! I began playing and encountered several more recognizable tunes. Yup, Hudson Soft recycled and remixed a bunch of Neutopia tracks for this game. That's kind of genius. The old favorites, combined with a plethora of standout exclusive tracks, give II the upper hand in the soundtrack department.
Graphically, Neutopia II is about identical to its predecessor as well. The hero sprite may just be the same one from the first game, but here it's explained that he's actually a different dude (some sort of descendant). The overworld and dungeon scenery is strikingly familiar, though Hudson Soft was kind enough to include a new enemy roster. Everything still looks bright and bouncy and colorful and "12-bit." In short, this is what you could call a "mission-pack sequel", or, to give a comparison, Neutopia II is to Neutopia as Super C is to Contra. And much like that first game, this one apes heavily from The Legend of Zelda.
There are admittedly some changes to the formula that need to be addressed. Alterations that make Neutopia II the superior series entry. First, the overworld is one large seamless area. No more "spheres" connected to a central hub. Additionally, there are towns containing shops, save points, and advice-doling NPCs. Said towns drastically improve the flow of the game. They provide "home bases" to retreat to after each rigorous dungeon outing, and there's no more hunting for shops and save points hidden under random trees and rocks.

II's hero has a greater range of movement: eight directions. There's still no Link-esque lazer sword, but some additional staves are available. Once again, the emitted projectiles vary depending on health. Having a wide range of projectile weapons is handy, but the staves have this annoying quirk of sometimes bouncing enemies back into you. Unacceptable. Then there's the boomerang (wonder where they got that idea), which can actually fly off the screen never to be seen again. I used it twice. There's a hookshot that deducts a whopping ten gold per use. I used it once.

Dungeons are way more complex this time around. They span multiple floors and are littered with traps and switches. Once again, they're disappointingly generic: just nondescript stacked boxes of gray stone. Many of Zelda's dungeons were undeniably spartan, but their garish colors and bizarre shapes supplied a massive dose of charm and particularity. Bosses are mediocre. Inconsistently difficult HP tanks.
Speaking of Zelda, there are some elements of Neutopia II that are strangely reminiscent of A Link to the Past. There's a goddess mythology slowly revealed by NPCs, as well as a sleeping princess that looks much like Zelda under the spell of Agahnim. I'd chalk this up to coincidence, or perhaps these are common tropes, as Neutopia II hit shelves two months before ALttP. Or maybe Nintendo took revenge and ripped off Hudson Soft!
Neutopia II has a markedly better flow compared to its predecessor, and is unquestionably more entertaining to play. And, honestly, they're so similar that playing both is not entirely necessary. II is probably more than enough. Both Neutopia entries are worse than The Legend of Zelda, and Neutopia II looks downright amateurish stacked up against the closest chronological Zelda entry (A Link to the Past).

One final caveat: the American release of Neutopia II is stupidly expensive. Like, $175+ for the TurboChip alone. Go for the import if you must have a physical copy, or hit up the Virtual Console.
Kuruwin
64-bit

by Kuruwin Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 am

I'm actually currently playing Pirate's Curse and it's yet another game i have mixed feelings about. It can be fun but the ways that the devs attempts to change up the gameplay haven't been really succesful for me at least. The part where you carry the zombie girl for instance wasn't exactly hard but there's long segments on that section and if you get hit even one time then you have to start from the start of the screen and this sort of thing isn't exactly fun even if you don't actually fail (unnerving)

There are also part's where the game doesn't even seem to hint or it does bad job explaining what you are suppose to do. On the ham part i was thinking way too deply and wasted time (i went back to the squid thinking you need to get the water back first) eventhough all i had apparently to do was keep hitting that ham constantly. On the mummy part i just used the walktrough because how i was suppose to know that the other sarcophagus on the first island? You can see it when you first get there but i don't think most people can recall that sort of details.

It also feels at times that the enemy placements are cheap and the game just covers it by giving you tons of healing items.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

That's when you bust out the "I don't remember where that was, so start poking around everywhere" response. That's what I used to do in Metroid or Castlevania games. Still, do, actually. :P
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4 *new*

Total: 6

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
My slow start to the year continues...

Horizon: Zero Dawn is arguably the best game I've played on the PS4. It takes many of the best ideas from so many other games - Dragon Age Inquisition, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Skyrim, etc. - and blends them all together in a chunky stew of intense and speedy combat, epic exploration, satisfying leveling, and gorgeous graphics. The game is pretty much flawless, and would be a great experience even if its story sucked.

The story, fortunately, is one of the most complex and interesting post-apocalyptic tales I've seen told in a medium that often tends towards those stories. To say too much about it would ruin a lot of great moments in the game - there are a wealth of fascinating revelations, compelling plot twists, and well-fleshed out characters - but suffice to say that it blends a lot of genre tropes together in a new way, one that has some merit in its ability to criticize humanity as a whole and that earns its attempts to provoke introspection in the player.

I can't rave enough about this one. I have even been generally uninterested in the also-excellent Breath of the Wild because I wanted to keep moving through this game more than pick up my Switch. The game took me about 35 hours to finish the story and many sidequests (I'm at 52% completion). If you have a PS4, you really owe it to yourself to pick this game up. It is a state-of-the-medium tour de force.
Last edited by dsheinem on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Good review, DSH. Although I do not yet have a PS4, I think that game looks very intriguing, and the PS4's library may finally be getting to the point where I can justify a purchase.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Many of those games appeal to me, so I know I'll be picking this up at some point. Thanks for the review!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm

I've still been plugging away at HZD as well. Starting making a point to flesh out more of the side stuff before continuing with the story, but it largely seems to be paced very well - as opposed to things like DA:I or MGSV that, fun as they were, felt overly long. Sounds like it should wrap up without overstaying its welcome.

While I think the narrative is solid, if somewhat predictable so far, it seems like something that'll be part of discussions about representation in games for mostly good reasons.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm

dsheinem wrote:Horizon: Zero Dawn is arguably the best game I've played on the PS4.

I have even been generally uninterested in the also-excellent Breath of the Wild because I wanted to keep moving through this game more than pick up my Switch.

It is a state-of-the-medium tour de force.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions as accurate.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

What were your suspicions?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 am

That H:ZD kicks ass, that's it's a thoroughly modern action-adventure-RPG, and that I'd rather play it then BotW.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming