Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
elricorico
24-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by elricorico Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:02 am

1. Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)
2. Super Smash Bros WiiU (WiiU)
3. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)

4. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)

I rolled the credits on Shantae and the Pirate's Curse last night. This was a game that I got as part of the Humble Nintendo Bundle some time ago, so it came and a very low price and I got far more than my money's worth.

This is the first game I've played for the series, and I came in with limited knowledge about what to expect - aside from it being something of a retro inspired 2d platformer. What I got was a bright and colourful adventure that had excellent pacing and level design, beautiful pixel art and a fairly forgiving difficulty curve. This game was a lot of fun to play, largely because it was a complete package, the right amount of attention was given to every aspect - from the visual presentation to the tight controls.

Shantae starts out with a very basic attack and jumping ability, and with each stage of the story you complete you gain new abilities. Each level is designed in a manner that eases you into learning the ability and also builds on previous abilities so that by the time you reach the end you are comfortable with using every trick in the book to make it through the final stage, which had some fairly challenging platforming to tackle.

I do have some minor gripes with this game. I found it had a bit too much emphasis on perky breasts and low rise pants in the character designs. Not that I don't enjoy it, but I don't need every character to have those same features with only minor differences. The difficulty is a little low; by the end of the first stage you have enough gems to buy a handful of auto-potions and you are practically invincible as long as you restock those before each stage. Also one more -
The last boss really felt like it needed a second form. I was certain something was coming but it just never happened. Maybe in the unlocked mode?

If you like 2D platforming I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy this game. It took me about 10 hours to beat, so it doesn't overstay its welcome, and it never got frustrating or boring. There is another mode that was unlocked by finishing - I may come back to check it out soon.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:05 am

Did you get the real ending? That makes the final boss fight a little more satisfying (especially if you have played the earlier games in the series), and it is actually fairly difficult.

Also, be sure to play Risky's Revenge and 1/2 Genie Hero. Both are excellent. (The original is good, but its design is a bit archaic.)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 pm

The biggest thing the Shantae games make me wish for is back in the day when sequels had number on the end, not just subtitles. It must be some kind of marketing thing that more people will want to join into a series casually if they don't think they're missing out on lore or anything.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:03 pm

I like how Shantae (the character) looks more anime-ish in each successive game. Noticed this while I was playing the original the other night. Great series. I really need to check out the latest installment. I mean, I own it, but it's still sealed. :lol:
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 pm

I assume that I didn't get the "real" ending. I'm not usually a completionist so if it required 100% I didn't get it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:00 pm

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)

Well, I finally picked this up after farming Fire Emblem Heroes for coins. And as always, it's totally worth it. I really enjoy Picross/nonograms a lot. The presentation here is a little dry, though, and I had to turn the music off because while Zelda-inspired, it gets old very quickly. It's not even the awesome tunes, more of the atmospheric tunes.

So, it's not just straight Picross, though. One mode, Micross, has you putting together a giant mural by solving individual puzzles. These are pretty easy, though, given that they're 10x10 each.

The other is "Mega Picross", which is pretty darn brain-bending. Instead of the usual picross rules, now you've got lines that consist of two lines that can cross over into each other. It definitely requires some creative thinking to figure out what spots are safe and which aren't. I don't play with the time penalty on, so if you mess up (which is going to happen), you get to either try to fix it (doable), or start over if you've made a complete dog's breakfast of it.

(Yes, this is from the Pokemon version, but it illustrates things.)

Anyway, given that I got nearly twenty hours of it, I figure it was totally worth those 1000 Platinum Coins. :)
Ack

by Ack Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Oh dude, I love picross games. I didn't know about these...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Well I can add Dungeons 2 for the ps4 to my list of games beaten this year. Also available on steam. But it's pretty much for fans of Dungeon Keeper 2 like me who are still waiting for a Dungeon Keeper 3 but instead got a free to play Dungeon Keeper on mobile so we have to rely on Kalypso for the next best thing :P I love the underworld dungeon aspect of it. The overworld is kind of eh for me. Maybe it's better in multiplayer. It's not a Dungeon Keeper 3, but probably the next best thing. The ending also leaves room for a Dungeons 3, so can only hope they make it and it releases on ps4 as well.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Ack wrote:Today I Learned: Elkin really likes noses on his characters.

I'm picky af about character designs. I vehemently refuse to watch One Piece and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure despite the great thing's I've heard about them because the character art makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Return to General Gaming