Valiant Hearts the Great War - PS4
Scott Pilgrim - PS3
Comix Zone - PS3
Hell Yeah Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - PS3
Infamous Second Son _ PS4
Might Morphin Power Rangers Mega Battle - PS4
Dragon's Lair - PS3
Space Ace - PS3
Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3 (I'm actually playing it again on 360 too LOL. Great game)
Lara Croft Go - PS4

*New*

Hitman Go - PS4

So I went from Lara Croft Go to this game and I have to say, Hitman Go is a far superior game.

The board game aesthetic works better than Lara Croft Go's....complete lack of an aesthetic.

Also, I feel like Hitman has a lot less trial and error bullshit and more actual puzzle solving than Lara's adventure. Also, there's a great deal of diversity to Hitman Go with each chapter introducing new abilities for you to use or a different enemy type. It never lost my interest whereas Lara Croft Go felt like a slog at times playing through all the puzzles.

I think part of this too is that Lara Croft Go is just you figuring out how to get to the end of the stage. Hitman however, has you killing people, sniping people, dropping chandeliers on people, dropping columns on people. The game gives you so many fun ways to take out enemies with some levels even allowing you to take out multiple enemies at once. In Lara Croft Go enemies are just obstacles are pieces of the puzzle that you need to solve. Hitman is just more "fun" to play because it makes me feel like I'm doing more than "just" solving puzzles. I'm sneaking past guards, taking out targets, using disguises to fool enemies, avoiding camera detection, etc. This may say something about the main Hitman franchise just being more interesting than Tomb Raider and that is reflected in the Go games

One last thing, Lara Croft Go has all these stupid, pointless collectibles. And to find them you basically have to blindly move your cursor all over the screen hoping you get lucky and find one. Instead of that pointless crap, Hitman Go has different challenges in each stage. They range from:

Finding a briefcase
killing everyone
NOT killing everyone
Speed kill
Not killing dogs
Finishing the stage in the least amount of turns possible

Further proof of how Hitman just makes you feel like you're doing more stuff than you are in Lara Croft Go. It also shows the flexibility in how you can approach a stage whereas levels in Lara Croft Go all have to be completed in a specific way. If you play Lara Croft Go on PS4, all DLC levels from the original version of the game are included and must be completed for the platinum. I found some of the DLC levels (particularly from The Shard of Life DLC) annoyingly hard. On one, I gave up and used the hint system, and the solution to the puzzle actually ran counter to what the game had taught me about its mechanics. So it's no wonder I couldn't figure out how to solve it. Hitman Go has puzzles that feel challenging, but never frustrating. And the optional objectives kind of makes every puzzle stage, actually FOUR puzzle stages.

So in short, skip Lara Croft Go, play Hitman Go. I plan on trying Deus Ex Go at some point if they bring it to PS4
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Stark Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am

Totally disagree and think that Lara Croft Go is the better game, it has more clever level design and I actually liked the collectibles. That being said though Hitman Go is fantastic as well.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 15

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (5 Game Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12

15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12

Persona 4 is for Atlus what Final Fantasy VII was for Square Enix - just a damn masterpiece that fans can't get enough of. What Atlus did that Square has had trouble doing, however, is meeting that desire for more without making the spin offs...meh. Like Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4: Dancing All Night gives fans of Persona 4 the "more" that we constantly crave while maintaining the quality for which the Persona sub-series is so well known by adding "rhythm game" to the list along with "JRPG" and "fighting game."

One of the aspects of Persona 4: Dancing All Night that helps it succeed so smashingly is that it capitalizes on one of the original game's greatest strengths - its soundtrack. The soundtrack for Persona 4 is legitimately god tier, and this game takes that amazing soundtrack and mixes it with the storytelling and characterization that made us all fall in love with Persona 4 in the first place. Not only does it include the most iconic songs from Persona 4, but each song has a handful of truly stellar remixes. These remixes sometimes accentuate the original song's genre, and they sometimes change the genre for an all new feel, giving you choices ranging from soft and melodic ballads all the way to legit dubstep. The musical arrangement for this game really goes above and beyond, even compare to other series' spin-off rhythm games.

As was the case with Persona 4 Arena, the actual gameplay, while very well done, actually takes a back seat to the story. If you're familiar with Persona's long and plot-driven dialogue sequences, then you know what to expect; those fill up the space between rhythm sequences and deliver a story that would be right at home in an entirely new Persona game. The story follows Kanamin Kitchen, a quintet of idols with the same agency as Risette, and the Love Meets Bonds festival in which they both perform, making Risette's return to idol stardom after a hiatus following the events of Persona 4. Being a Persona game, nothing goes quite according to plan, and next thing you know, people are disappearing into some "other world" filled with Shadows.

Truthfully, you probably won't play this if you haven't already played Persona 4, and if you've played Persona 4, there's not a whole lot new that I can tell you. Take out the combat and dungeon crawling from Persona 4 and put rhythm gameplay à la Hatsune Miku in its place, and you've got Dancing All Night. The writing, voice acting, and art design are all the same high caliber that one would expect from Persona, and visually, the game is pretty much identical to Persona 4 Golden in terms of graphics. The sound, however, as one would expect from a rhythm game, is simply out of this world. I've got the Persona 4 soundtrack from my PS2 copy, but I'd love to get myself a copy of the Persona 4: Dancing All Night OST at some point.

As a rhythm game, Persona 4: Dancing All Night is damn good. As a continuation of Persona 4, it's absolutely incredible. It's not the best rhythm game I've ever played, but it's up there, and it's definitely got the best story of any rhythm game I've ever played. Vita collectors, Persona fans, and rhythm game fans, take heed - this is not a game that you want to miss. The Vita has a lot of DAMN good games, and this one is right at home with the best of them.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis

Another Compile game off the list. MUSHA is a fabulously crafted shmup that's difficult but not a quarter muncher (the fact you can't continue helps). It's intended for you to be able to beat the game, but you do have to get good to do so. And the general production is quite excellent.

MUSHA will feel familiar to those who have played other Compile shmups. There are pickups that choose your cool looking weapon and pickups that level up weapons. Here things are a bit different from Blazing Lazers. You always have access to your primary gun, and it is leveled up by collecting flashing drops from a carrier that dispenses them four at a time when shot (they fly off in slightly random directions so you can't always get all four). Your secondary weapon is chosen from one of three: a straight firing laser, a bomb spread, or a defensive shield that can block bullets. These secondary weapons can be leveled up by collecting a second secondary of the same type; otherwise you switch to the new type at the same power level. Secondary weapon power is ranked from 0 to 4, with level 4 frequently including a new effect. Whenever you take a hit while holding a secondary you lose that secondary and go invincible for a couple seconds. If you were at level 4 you drop down to level 3. Whenever you pick up a secondary you go invincible for a couple seconds. So you are going to want to have a secondary at all times and be willing to switch it up depending on what's getting thrown at you or to get that invincibility.

The other interesting thing in the game is your options. You gain one of these every time you get four of the powerup for your main gun, and can store as many as you can. If you ever have less than two it will spawn new ones and decrease your stock. These function similar to the slaves of Raiden Fighters; they take damage and can be destroyed but you have control over their formation. They can fire straight, at an angle, rotate around you, cover the rear arc, or fly free at your enemies (which is a good way to get them killed).

I'd say the bulk of the difficulty is in the levels themselves. The game introduces new kinds of enemies with every stage so you always have to stay on your toes. It also likes to vary between calm and frantic sections where you need to do a lot of fancy flying to avoid getting hit. By contrast, the bosses are extremely pattern based and aside from a sub boss on the last level don't throw out large volumes of fire, so you can expect on a blind playthrough to be able to take down almost all of them without dying (though you might take a hit and lose your subweapon). The exception to this is the second form of the last boss; this boss forces you to constantly be on the move due to an invincible bouncing ball taking up most of the screen, and then the two vulnerable points snipe at you with shots that can be extremely hard to see while you're doing damage. I ended up burning through 5 lives on that part. The form right after is much easier, as you actually have some contrast and can see the shots coming.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:00 pm

That's a rad looking game. I was happy to discover it's on the Virtual Console.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:26 pm

It has Technosoft tier graphics and music too.
marurun

by marurun Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Xeogred wrote:It has Technosoft tier graphics and music too.

It's a Compile shooter. Is has better than Technosoft-tier everything.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:11 pm

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:36 pm

That song keeps wanting to be E1M1 from Doom.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:58 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD

So this is without a doubt the weakest of the Genesis mainline Sonic games. Someone decided it would be a good idea to go experimental and it shows. There's some interesting ideas at play, but none of it ever comes together into a complete package. The best thing I can say is its pretty and the boss fights are actually quite varied (though the last one has a really stupid design decision).

Sonic CD was developed at the same time as Sonic 2. While Sonic 2 said "let's go Mega Man 2 and iterate on what we did to make something really great", Sonic CD said "let's try a bunch of different things and throw them all together and maybe a game will pop out." I think the biggest problem is the Sega CD itself; the increased graphical capabilities went to the designers' heads and gameplay was sacrificed. The levels look crazy good; the backgrounds at amazing and there's a huge number of parallax layers. But this leads to some massive slowdown when it needs to draw a lot of sprites (like when you get hit) or when you're underwater (it's not just the physics). Also, the whole thing is incredibly busy; I kept taking hits from enemies and spikes I didn't notice because they blended with the background.

The other thing Sonic CD is known for is the time travelling mechanic. Now, I can see how this sounds interesting in a conference room. Go to the past and you can affect the present, and that'll affect the future. Except there's no reason to actually go to the future; if you just want to get to the end of the stage quickly you stay in the present, and if you want to get the good ending you go to the past to destroy the robot machine thing. The only reason to go to the future is to see what the nice future looks like, and you get that anyway because the boss stage forces you into the future. This mechanic was incredibly half baked.

Sonic overall handles sluggish, and the best thing I can say about the level design is there's only a bottomless pit in the final boss stage. Which brings me to the worst design decision of all; the final Robotnik fight requires you to have rings in order to hit him. See, he's in a ship that has damaging blades surrounding him. In order to damage him you have to damage boost through the blades, get in the hit, then collect the rings before they disappear. Even when he's down to one blade you still have to take a hit; you can't avoid it with timing. This is just a plain dumb design decision, and flies in the face of every other Sonic boss fight. Hell, most of them have a final boss where you can't collect rings at all.

Play this one for completeness, but don't expect something great.
Return to General Gaming