Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Flake wrote:Worst offense: Inability to 'lock on' to field captains or other officers or generals.

All said - I really liked the game despite its flaws but I never lost sight of those flaws.


Warriors is really one of those series that somehow went without a lock-on system of ANY kind for far far longer than it had any right to XD

But it really does come down to what you say for just about any of the entries in the series or its spin-offs. It's one you love in spite of its flaws, because its made it quite blatantly clear its has no desire to hide or fix them XD (usually :P )
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10145
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 am

alienjesus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:To The Moon (iOS) is, basically, a four-hour visual novel styled like an interactive cutscene in a 16-bit JRPG. The story might be deep or touching if you had never seen a movie, read or book, or interacted with another human. If that sounds good to you, go for it. I thought it was pretty horrible, however, and the few hours I spent with the game seemed longer than the 125 + that I spent with BOTW. Not recommended.


I guess the implication is that because I loved To The Moon I have never done any of those things then. :roll: :lol:

Oh well, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I'm personally looking forward to the sequel coming out soon immensely though.


:lol:

I jest....except for the part about the game being garbage. I’m serious about that. :lol:
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:18 am

Image
116. Fray: Shuugyouhen | Game Gear | 1991 | 7/10

Image

Fray: Shuugyouhen is a Japan-only on-foot cute 'em up, developed and published by Micro Cabin, released in 1991, for the Game Gear. This little vertically scrolling shmup stars a cute little wizard named Fray. She's shooting magic death bolts at tons of monsters and bosses, and I don't know why. Yes there's cutscenes, in Japanese, which I can't read. But, Fray can also jump! Jumping is interesting, as it adds platforming elements to the shmup portions. At the end of stages, Fray's senpai teaches her new magic powers. Magic powers when used cost mana, but unleash hellish fury upon the land. Mana balls and life balls are dropped by dead enemies, filling their respective banks. For some strange reason, the player is not allowed to use Fray's powerful spells against bosses. But, after every stage, Fray can visit a store to buy power-ups, and said power-ups do help against bosses. Not that it really matters, as Fray: Shuugyouhen is a piece of cake. I beat it on my first try, only dying once. Graphically Fray: Shuugyouhen is pretty decent, although the sprite counts often slow the Game Gear's processor noticeably. (The vertically scrolling crawls as well, I think to help with LCD blur, and keep difficulty low.) Fray: Shuugyouhen's OST can only be described as "eclectic" and we'll just leave it at that. There's plenty of stages, and beating Fray: Shuugyouhen will probably take you about thirty minutes. So if you're in the mood to be the magic girl, put on a skirt and panties, grab your nearest death wand, and cast Fray: Shuugyouhen into your Game Gear.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8177
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by alienjesus Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 am

I didn't know there was a Game Gear version of Fray. The PC Engine CD version has been on my want list for some time.

As for Pop'n Twinbee, it's definitely fun enough for a play, and if you're better at shmups then me maybe you'll find it less frustrating too. I think it didn't get a US release though, so might need to import from Japan or Europe.
Image
User avatar
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Central Valley, California

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by dunpeal2064 Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 am

I think Pop'n Twinbee is fantastic. Very accurate port for its time, running fairly smoothly too. It takes some coming to grips with its odd bell juggling system, but I think it really shines once you get comfortable, and for a 16-bit port the game gets insanely difficult, which is always a bonus :)
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8177
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by alienjesus Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:I think Pop'n Twinbee is fantastic. Very accurate port for its time, running fairly smoothly too. It takes some coming to grips with its odd bell juggling system, but I think it really shines once you get comfortable, and for a 16-bit port the game gets insanely difficult, which is always a bonus :)


I'm not sure I agree with the last point, but yeah, I enjoyed playing the game for the msot part.

I don't mind difficult, but most old-school shmups punish you way more than other genres for making a mistake. You die in other genres and you come back fairly even to where you were at when you died. You die in most classic shmups and you come back so heavily nerfed that you might as well hit reset and start again, because your odds will be better that way.
Image
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7420
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:23 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Flake wrote:Worst offense: Inability to 'lock on' to field captains or other officers or generals.

All said - I really liked the game despite its flaws but I never lost sight of those flaws.


Warriors is really one of those series that somehow went without a lock-on system of ANY kind for far far longer than it had any right to XD

But it really does come down to what you say for just about any of the entries in the series or its spin-offs. It's one you love in spite of its flaws, because its made it quite blatantly clear its has no desire to hide or fix them XD (usually :P )

Can confirm that's absolutely the worst feature of the game. LET ME LOCK ON DAMN IT.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: Central Valley, California

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by dunpeal2064 Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am

alienjesus wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I think Pop'n Twinbee is fantastic. Very accurate port for its time, running fairly smoothly too. It takes some coming to grips with its odd bell juggling system, but I think it really shines once you get comfortable, and for a 16-bit port the game gets insanely difficult, which is always a bonus :)


I'm not sure I agree with the last point, but yeah, I enjoyed playing the game for the msot part.

I don't mind difficult, but most old-school shmups punish you way more than other genres for making a mistake. You die in other genres and you come back fairly even to where you were at when you died. You die in most classic shmups and you come back so heavily nerfed that you might as well hit reset and start again, because your odds will be better that way.


Yeah, this is an unfortunate thing that plagues a lot of older shooters, Konami's output in particular. You pretty much have to one-life the game, or spend the rest of your stock praying for a recovery, which is sometimes just not possible.

I love the difficulty through and through, but the player punishment for failure is often imbalanced.

That said, i still prefer this vastly over other console shooters (Aleste games being a prime example), which fall over too easy if you are used to arcade shooters. And I think stuff like Pop'n stands out for being "arcade hard" on a 16-bit console. a 2-ALL of this game is no joke at all, insanely brutally difficult
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18911
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 am

alienjesus wrote:I didn't know there was a Game Gear version of Fray. The PC Engine CD version has been on my want list for some time.


The game's pretty different on MSX2, PCE, and GG. One of those that situations that kinda blurs the line between ports and full-on remakes.

You gotta play the Xak games, Xumy, so you can find out who Fray really is. She's part of a top-tier waifu trio.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20873
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Ack Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:00 am

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)(FPS)
6. D-Force (SNES)(SHMUP)
7. Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (PC)(RPG)
8. Dying Light (PC)(FPS/RPG)
9. Dying Light: The Following (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (PC)(Hack and Slash)
11. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (PC)(Walking Simulator)
12. Dead Pixels (PC)(Run and Gun)
13. Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. (PC)(FPS)
14. Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC)(Action Platformer)

15. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC)(FPS)
16. Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory (PC)(Platformer)
17. Zombie Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
18. Torchlight (PC)(Action RPG)
19. Descent II (PC)(FPS)
20. Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen (PC)(RPG)
21. Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft (PS1)(Fighting)
22. Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen (PC)(RPG)
23. True Lies (SNES)(Top-Down Shooter)
24. Serious Sam 3: BFE (PC)(FPS)

Serious Same 3: BFE is a prequel to Serious Sam: The First Encounter (hence BFE = Before First Encounter). I had a blast playing First and Second Encounter years ago with a group of friends in 8-way multiplayer, where we could set enemies to increase exponentially based on the number of players and give everyone infinite ammo. Why? Because it was ridiculous, that's why!

Serious Sam 3 tries at times to offer that same experience: enter an obvious arena, and you're gonna be fighting a horde of nasty critters with whatever weapons you have available to you. That means shotguns, lasers, C4, rocket launchers, minguns, a cannon... Hell, some of them you can even tear off body parts and throw them to hurt other enemies. But this is only part of the experience, and as much fun as this is in a group, Serious Sam 3 feels like it's split down the middle as to what it wants to be.

Why is that? Because when you're not fighting in an arena, you're in cramped Egyptian city streets, fighting enemies often armed with firearms or projectiles. This feels way more like a cheap Call of Duty 4 knock off than Serious Sam, and it brings down the experience for me because I don't feel like I'm getting what I want from the series. There is no ridiculous "grab item, face horde" that I got from the original entries.

I'm not saying Serious Sam 3 is a bad game at all. The gunplay is smooth, the weapons are fun, and there are a lot of goofy options that make it an interesting experience. Levels are way longer than I was expecting too. But early levels stick to the CoD approach in ways I wish it didn't; halfway through, things open up with ridiculous weapons and enemies, but it takes time to build and get there, and that is time I don't always appreciate. Yet when it gets the Serious Sam formula right, I'm in hog heaven.

So, Serious Sam 3...don't come for the story. It's dumb. Come for the hordes, come for the weapons, come for the ridiculous secrets. But accept that you're going to have to spend some time putting up with things that may not be what you signed up for because they were popular at the time of the game's release.

Eh, I can still rip off a Kleer's head and hit his buddy with it, so I'm still enjoying myself.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests