Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7523
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Exhuminator wrote:>Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes

Very nice beat Elky. One of my goals next year is to dig my Dreamcast out of the closet and beat some games on the system. One of those games will be Gundam Side Story 0079. I've always been interested in it, and your review confirmed my hope that it doesn't suck. Thanks.

Yeah man, it's a great game. That head movement is a little wonky until you get a feel for it, but it's fantastic.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by pierrot Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Exhuminator wrote:111. Dungeon Explorer | TG16 | 1989 | 7/10

Time for the Sega CD Dungeon Explorer! It's fantastic.


ElkinFencer10 wrote:132. Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes - Dreamcast - November 30

I'm pretty surprised you beat it so quickly. I know it's not too many missions, but I remember a few of them being really difficult. Especially with the Goufs. I was a preteen when I played it, though.

In terms of the combat speed and dynamics, it's kind of important to remember that no one in your team is a newtype. You've got a unit of regular infantry soldiers operating as best they can with the resources their provided. There was a bonus disc in Japan that could be sent for after beating the game, that allows you to play with the RX-78. The value re-release in Japan includes it, and now I'm feeling like playing that version to unlock it.
Image
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:08 pm

pierrot wrote:Time for the Sega CD Dungeon Explorer! It's fantastic.

I've got it ready to go. I'm currently playing through Dark Chambers on 7800 at the moment though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7523
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:51 pm

pierrot wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:132. Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes - Dreamcast - November 30

I'm pretty surprised you beat it so quickly. I know it's not too many missions, but I remember a few of them being really difficult. Especially with the Goufs. I was a preteen when I played it, though.

In terms of the combat speed and dynamics, it's kind of important to remember that no one in your team is a newtype. You've got a unit of regular infantry soldiers operating as best they can with the resources their provided. There was a bonus disc in Japan that could be sent for after beating the game, that allows you to play with the RX-78. The value re-release in Japan includes it, and now I'm feeling like playing that version to unlock it.

Ohhh, that's right! I hadn't considered that there weren't any Newtypes on the team. That makes a LOT of sense in the context of movement speed and reaction and such.

The Goufs were tough as balls, for sure, but Mission 4 and Mission 9 were the only ones that really gave me trouble. There were a couple I beat by the skin of my teeth, so to speak, but those two both took me multiple attempts.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by pierrot Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
pierrot wrote:Time for the Sega CD Dungeon Explorer! It's fantastic.

I've got it ready to go.

Excellent!


ElkinFencer10 wrote:The Goufs were tough as balls, for sure, but Mission 4 and Mission 9 were the only ones that really gave me trouble. There were a couple I beat by the skin of my teeth, so to speak, but those two both took me multiple attempts.

Good work, soldier!

If you're up for more Gundam on your Dreamcast, I would definitely recommend Renpou vs Zeon DX. It's a great arcade style arena fighter, and feels amazing to play with an arcade stick. It's also the progenitor of the Gundam Vs arcade game series--there was an earlier arcade release, but it's the same game without the extras of the DX version. There's a port for the PS2 also, that made it to the US as Federation vs Zeon, but I had that version back in the day, and it made me think the game was trash up until I played the Dreamcast version. It was on the NAOMI in Arcades, and it shows in the difference between the console ports.

Another import game of note, that has similar gameplay to Rise From the Ashes, except underwater, is Ao no 6-go: Saigetsu Fumachibito. Only trouble is that the rest of the game plays like a visual novel adventure game. It's great for fans of the Blue Sub #6 OVA, but definitely full of Japanese text.
Image
User avatar
Segata
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2403
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Segata Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Image
Great game! Fun music. Sharp detailed 2D visuals. Fast and fun gameplay for a beat em up. The only real downside is no character selection but it's ok. You are basically Arnold from Predator fused with Arnold as Terminator. Makes no sense but who cares you play as 80s muscle action hero cyborg and punch robots to death. What more do you need in a video game?
Image
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Image
Twitter Segata
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7245
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 am

I remember seeing this in an early Game Informer and thought it looked cool. :)
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:07 am

Image
112. Dark Chambers | Atari 7800 | 1988 | 7/10

Image

Dark Chambers was developed by Sculptured Software and published by Atari in 1988, for the Atari 2600, 7800, and 8-bit computer. Dark Chambers is an overhead view arcade game similar to Gauntlet, though slower paced. You are an explorer in an underground maze; your goal is to submerge through 26 different levels (labeled A - Z), and collect as much treasure as you can. The player has the ability to shoot offensive attacks to defend against monsters. Each level has a hidden ladder down to the next level, often locked behind a door, which the player must find a key for on the same level. As the player explores, their life bar slowly depletes, and the player must find food to refill it. Monsters also crawl each level, and when touched deplete the life bar as well. Monsters are spawned from destructible monster generators. Monsters come in a variety of shapes and strengths, and when you shoot a tougher monster, it will transform into the next weaker monster. Eventually a creature will become the weakest variant at which point it can be destroyed. In addition to the creatures and treasures, other items that can be found in the maze are potions (to restore health), poison (drains health), swords (increases attack power), guns (increases your firing rate), traps, shields, and bombs (shoot them to kill all enemies around). Dark Chambers can be played one player or two players simultaneously, and offers two modes of difficulty, standard and advanced.

Image

Whether or not someone will enjoy Dark Chambers boils down to how much said person enjoys mazes. The primary difficulty in Dark Chambers is navigating its mini-labyrinth levels, fast enough not to starve to death, while crowd controlling monsters. The standard difficulty mode isn't too hard, I beat it on my second try (first try I got all the way to the last level and died :lol: ). However, if someone chose the advanced mode, I would recommend only doing that two players. When you die, it's straight Game Over, no continues or passwords here folks. I found Dark Chambers to be enjoyable as a simple dungeon romp, but there's plenty of room for improvement. For one thing, there's no background music. Another loss is that enemies do not leave random drops behind when they die. An ending screen would have been nice, as beating Dark Chambers simply loops back to the first floor again. Perhaps the greatest additional feature would have been to have randomly generated levels. But for what it is, a slower simpler Gauntlet, Dark Chambers is not half bad. Crawling around the meandering dungeon layouts, collecting keys and food, was strangely relaxing. Until Level Y that is. Level Y hates you and everyone you know.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19042
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:35 am

Atari ftw!
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7523
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 am

pierrot wrote:If you're up for more Gundam on your Dreamcast, I would definitely recommend Renpou vs Zeon DX. It's a great arcade style arena fighter, and feels amazing to play with an arcade stick. It's also the progenitor of the Gundam Vs arcade game series--there was an earlier arcade release, but it's the same game without the extras of the DX version. There's a port for the PS2 also, that made it to the US as Federation vs Zeon, but I had that version back in the day, and it made me think the game was trash up until I played the Dreamcast version. It was on the NAOMI in Arcades, and it shows in the difference between the console ports.

I'll be on the lookout for Renpou vs Zeon on Dreamcast. Looks like it runs anywhere from $40 to $60, so it may get put on a wishlist, but I'm definitely gonna check it out eventually!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests