Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Segata Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 am

That is a game I been wanting to play a long time. Just not gotten around to buying it yet. If I recall it's not cheap.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:01 am

Xeogred wrote:
AJ's review posts are a treat.

Never knew of the existence of Marvelous: Another Treasure Island. I'm putting that on my WIP list of goals for games to check out in 2018.

alienjesus wrote:It might even be the best Sonic game in general, time will tell.

I still can't believe I might be considering this too. Sonic Mania is cemented into my #3 spot for my favorite new releases this year.

Hey, thanks, it's nice to know someone is reading them! Might be some of the most discussion I've gotten for one of my review thread posts :)

Marvelous is fun, it just requires patience because it takes longer to do stuff than it really needs to. It sure has a lot of heart though.

I think Sonic 2 is probably still my favourite game in the series, but I do wonder if it's nostalgia preventing me from giving the award to Mania.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You have good taste in games.

What a compliment to recieve! Thank you good sir.

I hope people like Master System, because the next 4 games I'm going to post will be for that system.

Exhuminator wrote:Sonic Mania looks like a complete rehash of love letter to Genesis era Sonic, so I understand why it's so popular with nostalgic fans. Those Genesis games were Sonic's golden age, after all. I have the PC version of Sonic Mania, maybe I'll play it next year.

-

Marvelous is pretty cool, I concur. AJ, if you're interested in my thoughts after beating it, I reviewed Marvelous back in 2014. I will never forget that special moment I shared with a particular simian.

Yeah, it does rehash a lot, but the games haven't existed quite like this since 1994, so it's about team to be honest. It does offer a lot new despite the rehashing of old stuff. It also remixes stuff together in a fun way. What's old is new again!

I enjoyed your review of Marvelous a lot, it explains the game better than mine (I had 27 games to write about, so I decided to keep it relatively brief!). I played a later version of the translation patch than you I think, which translated more graphics, but the ending was untranslated for some reason.

One thing I forgot to note, for anyone intending to play the game, is that I had a few issues with the patch on my Retron5. It generally ran OK, but sometimes the music would cut out sporadically - especially near the start of the game. Also, if I suspended play and came back I'd need to reset the game before reloading a save state because it would crash and glitch out if I tried to continue the same file. Be sure to make lots of save state backups as well as in-game saves, and don't just rely on suspending play on the Retron5!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Games Beaten:
First 30:
1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop
10. Pullblox 3DS eShop
11. Pokémon Picross 3DS eShop
12. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
13. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES
14. Alisia Dragoon Mega Drive
15. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Mega Drive
16. Dynamite Headdy Mega Drive
17. Runbow Wii U eShop
18. The Mystical Ninja starring Goemon N64
19. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 3DS
20. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa 3DS
21. SteamWorld Dig 3DS eShop
22. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch
23. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS1
24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time GC
25. Pilotwings 64 N64
26. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones GBA
27. Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch
28. Life Force NES
29. Bionic Commando NES
30. Bonk's Revenge TGCD

31. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia 3DS
32. Splatoon 2 Switch
33. Shantae & The Pirates Curse 3DS eShop
34. Devil May Cry PSN
35. Team Kirby Clash Deluxe 3DS eShop
36. Blaster Master Wii U VC
37. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes GC
38. Wario Blast! featuring Bomberman Game Boy
39. Astro Boy: Omega Factor GBA
40. Daiku No Gen-San: Ghost Building Company Game Boy
41. Kirby: Planet Robobot 3DS
42. Noobow Game Boy
43. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 Game Boy
44. Mario Golf N64
45. Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-Kun Game Boy
46. Rockman World 5 Game Boy
47. Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite! GBC
48. Sonic Mania Switch eShop
49. Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima SFC
50. Super Mario Odyssey Switch
51. Gauntlet IV Mega Drive
52. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World Master System *NEW*
53. Psycho Fox Master System *NEW*
54. The Ninja Master System *NEW*
55. R-Type Master System *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive
4. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble 3DS VC
5. Trip World 3DS VC

Here's reviews 5-8 of 27! Lets keep this train rolling!

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

The Alex Kidd series is somewhat of a mixed bag – Miracle World is great, but after that things took a downward turn on average. Lost Stars is a below average platformer, High-tech world is a bizarre reskin of a terrible adventure game, and Enchanted Castle tried to recapture the magic of Miracle World but failed in every way. I don’t know if BMX Trial is any good, but it relied on a controller gimmick and never left Japan, so it’s largely irrelevant anyway. To be honest, it’s no real surprise that Alex Kidd never made it as a Sega mascot.
But there is one other decent Alex Kidd game in the series, and it’s one that liberally rips off another, better, Sega series – Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. A chibi reimagining/parody of the original Shinobi, it’s largely a fun romp, and I actually prefer it to it’s Shinobi source material, even if I still think Miracle World is the superior game.

Alex’s girlfriend has been kidnapped by an evil ninja and so Alex, aided by the ghost of another ninja, goes on a quest to slice up even more ninjas and save her. The games levels are based heavily on the original Arcade Shinobi game and it’s Master System conversion, but the gameplay is slightly different. Rather than his primary attack being the shuriken projectiles, Alex mainly attacks using his sword. Shurikens can be obtained to be used, but they are limited in number.

Alex also doesn’t use screen clearing ninja magic like Joe Musashi does, but he does have a few magic tricks up his sleeve – by grabbing onto a pole and holding the attack button he can spin fast enough to turn into a raging fireball and launch himself in any direction perpendicular to the pole. Alex also has a few other tricks that weren’t in the original Shinobi, as he can make use of wall jumps to ascend barriers.

The game is very short, with only 4 stages to explore, each broken up into 3 short sections – two action stages and a boss fight. The bossfights are all parodies of the equivalent Shinobi boss, with a Mario ripoff replacing the first boss and throwing fireballs and shrinking when low on health, a cutesy helicopter replacing the second boss, and a lobster instead of the third.

Shinobi Kidd isn’t too hard to beat thanks to it’s short length and generally reasonable difficulty, but it’s no pushover either. A few areas of the game can be quite challenging, and Alex can only take a few hits before dying. Some enemies, like the annoying birds, can be hard to kill or dodge and you will die a few times whilst playing through the game.

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World shows an avenue the series could have taken with some success in my eyes – it could have been a parody series of other Sega IPs. Alex Kidd in Streets of Rage World, Alex Kidd in Golden Axe World, Alex Kidd in E-Swat World – it could have been a fun and interesting way to use the character which would introduce other Sega IPs to a broader audience. Sure, Alex would have lost some of his identity, but frankly the games he actually starred in did the same, and this would have been the far better way to lose it. As it is, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is a fun send-off to a mostly mediocre series that could have and should have been great. It captures the fun of the Shinobi series whilst cutting off the frustrating edges of the original game, and it’s a short but enjoyable time to play through it. Give it a go and try not to dwell on what could have been.

Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox is a rather bizarre platforming game for the Master System in which you play as Psycho Fox, who contrary to his name, seems to be entirely within sound mind. With his trusty associates, Psycho Fox sets out to destroy the villainous Madfox Daimyojin, an evil villain who has corrupted the land and, true to his name, probably isn’t all there.

Psycho Fox namesake probably derives from his ‘powers’ which can be used from the pause menu, accessed using collectable items. One will kill all enemies on screen, whilst another will make Fox invincible for a short time. Theoretically the most important item though, is the item which lets you swap out Fox for one of his 3 companions – Hippo is slower and can’t jump as high as Fox, but can smash walls with his strength that the others can not. Monkey is slow too, but can jump incredibly high in the air, whilst Tiger is twice as fast as Fox and can tear along the ground at high speed. I say this item is theoretically the most important though, because outside of a few times where Hippo came in handy for brief amounts of times, I found Fox to be the superior character in all cases.

To explain why is to touch upon the games biggest source of challenge, most divisive asset, and in my opinion, biggest flaw – the physics engine. Actually, the biggest flaw might be the stage design. Or maybe the general working of the game mechanics. Well, we’ll get to all of them eventually. For now, the physics! Psycho Fox is an incredibly momentum driven game. From a standing start, any of the characters can barely jump a few pixels in front of themselves, but as they pick up momentum, the length they can jump grows exponentially – at full pelt they can launch themselves way over a screens length. What they can’t do though, is change direction – either whilst running, as they’ll first slow down and skid to a halt, or more importantly, whilst jumping – this is one of those games where you must commit to your jump – in the air you can pull backwards to slow your jump a little, but you can’t turn around. This is where the problem lies for both Tiger and Monkey – Monkey jumps too far with speed to be able to see where you will land – an issue for all characters, but compounded by Monkey. Tiger just runs too fast and you’ll tear right into every enemy in the way whilst being unable to stop, and any jumps to evade will launch you blindly into awaiting hazards.

Launching blindly into awaiting hazards is practically the name of the game in Psycho Fox though. You need the speed to be able to get anywhere, but the jumps you’re asked to make are all to frequently blind jumps and it’s not uncommon to jump straight into an awaiting enemy or pit. To make it worse, may of the games mechanics, whilst perfectly acceptable alone, seem designed to work against this physics and stage design.

For example, Psycho Fox can defend himself in 3 ways – he can jump on enemies, punch them, or pick up a bird from an egg which he can throw at them. However, the punch doesn’t work whilst running, meaning you’ll run into enemies if you try to attack them when gathering speed, plus many enemies are airborne at a height high enough to evade your fist, but low enough to hit your head, making it hard to kill them before they kill you. Enemies take several jumps to kill too, but normally come in batches of 2 or 3, so the second one will kill you as you’re dealing with the first. And the bird is not only a power up, but is thrown in an arc, meaning it’ll often fly over the heads of nearby enemies instead of hitting them. This is bad too, as Psycho Fox dies in one hit unless he’s holding the bird – but whilst it’s thrown away from him, he can be once again instantly killed until it returns to him.

Psycho Fox is a game which is unfortunately less than the some of its parts. Each mechanic is perfectly functional alone, but they’re all opposed to each other in a way that makes everything way too awkward and way to luck and memorisation based to be fun. The opportunity to play bonus stages for extra lives and the games unlimited continues mean you can muscle through whatever, but honestly it’s hard to say the game is worth it. Whilst there’s occasional fun to be hard here, I’d skip it and play something better.

The Ninja

The Ninja is a game with an interesting history. Originally an Arcade game known as Ninja Princess in Japan, or Sega Ninja in America, the game features your protagonist running through 12 top down levels, Commando-style, shooting enemies and dodging obstacles to find your way to the final encounter. Apparently though, when porting it to Master System Sega decided that a generic dude was a better protagonist than a bad-ass ninja princess chick, so they swapped the character out and thus we get the blandly named “The Ninja”.

The Ninja features a solid control scheme for the genre in the era, with button 1 shooting shurikens in the direction you’re facing, whilst button 2 throws them straight up at all times – useful as the majority of the stages scroll upwards and enemies will generally attack you from there. Enemies can drop power-ups when defeated – the blue scroll powers your shurikens up to do more damage and carry on after killing an enemy, whilst the red scroll boosts your speed. Both are lost upon death. Pressing both attack buttons together briefly makes your ninja disappear, which can be used to dodge enemy attacks. A combination of running away and dodging at opportune moments can make some otherwise challenging levels a breeze too, as the limited number of enemies on screen mean you can prevent many enemies even getting the chance to spawn in and attack.

The ninja features some variety in the level designs, includeing a stage on floating logs where you have restricted movement, a stage where horses run across the screen and need to be dodged with careful timing, and a diagonally scrolling stage with boulders bouncing down. Be prepared to see all of these stages multiple times if you don’t know where to find the games 5 hidden green scrolls though – as these are required to access the games final level, and the games loops back to the beginning if you missed them. They’re a pain to find, so I recommend just using a guide.

The Ninja is a fun enough game, but it’s biggest flaw is that it’s incredibly short. It’s possible that reading this review thus far has taken you almost as long as the entirety of the game takes to beat – it’s less than 15 minutes long if you don’t game over. However, my own trip through it was lengthened by a ‘bonus’ I discovered which is apparently a glitch – upon beating stage 10 without throwing any shurikens, I received a 99,999,999 point bonus. At that point I had obtained about 150,000 points throughout the whole game. It took the game around 45 minutes to add the points to my tally at the end of the level – bear in mind the whole rest of the game took me about 15 minutes in all. I’ve attached a short snippet of footage (about 20 seconds) from my phone to give an idea how long it took and the sound I got to enjoy whilst it tallied. Click this spoiler below to take a look.

The Ninja is an OK little game, and fun for a 10 minute blast, which is conveniently about how long it’ll take to beat anyway. Avoid any point bonuses and you’ll have a decent time, expecially at the comparatively low price this game commands.

R-Type

R-Type is a game I own on 2 different platforms – I own it here, on the Master System, and I also have the Turbografx version too. Obviously, the Turbografx version is graphically superior, closer to the arcade version and better sounding, but for my money, this is the version to play. Not only do I find the game a bit easier here on the Master System (something I think is sorely needed) thanks to smaller hitboxes and a faster feeling movement speed by default, but I also find this port to be a stunningly impressive adaptation to lesser hardware.

R-Type is a shmup focused on memorisation – you’ll need to practice to get further, and knowing where to position yourself for the next wave of attacks is crucial. However, compared to the likes of Gradius, which I feel operates similarly, dying in R-Type feels less like an instant game over – there’s a small but significant chance to get the force power up you need quickly and be back to a status where you can once again hold your own, unlike Gradius where your super slow ship armed with a pea shooter stands absolutely no chance.

R-Type has limited power-ups to boost your ship with, but what it has are useful. Besides the standard speed upgrades and a set of 3 weapons – a bouncing diagonal laser, a shot which runs along the floor and ceiling, and a wide front shot – the key power up to obtain is the force, which won’t help you destroy any death stars necessarily, but will be very useful in both defending yourself from attack and in attack from different angles.

Careful use of the force is crucial, and it has lots of utility to make use of. By flying into it you can attach it to the front or back of your ship where it will act as a shield from enemy shots. Whilst mounted on the back of your ship it also provides rear fire, which is otherwise unavailable. Pressing the 2 button will launch the force outwards, damaging enemies and allowing it to fly freely in front of you. Shooting it in this position will launch shots upwards and downwards of the force, allowing you to shoot at odd angles and around corners. Pressing the A button calls the force back to you to use as a shield once more. Using the force carefully can make some tougher parts of the gamer a pushover – the first boss can go down very quickely if you fire the force into his weak point and then simply focus on dodging whilst it finishes the job.

The stages in R-Type vary in quality – some are awesome, such as the amazing battleship stage where you fly around a huge ship dismantling it piece by piece, taking out mounted turrets, engines and armor as you go. On the other hand, some are entirely bland, with very little features to note. Some, like stage 4, are very frustrating – this one cost me lots of continues due to the number of enemies flying suddenly across the screen. More than a few game overs were caused by that stage, and there were 8 to playthrough.

R-Type is a fun game, and an impressive showpiece for the system. There are issues with flickering which can be a problem when bullets become hard to see, but it’s not too bad overall, and certainly not a gamebreaker. R-type is also a product of it’s time though. Whilst I prefer it to Gradius due to it being easier to recover upon dying, I still find this breed of early shmup to be unfair at times, and I prefer later entries in the genre. For the Master System though, this is a solid shmup experience, and well worth a play.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Master System. Very European. I approve. I hate those Vic Tokai physics and I've always sucked at R-Type. So good work.

I need to give The Ninja another spin. The title always makes me laugh.

You get the SG-1000 yet? Gotta get this!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Brownie points to AJ for the Master System love.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Brownie points to AJ for the Master System love.

Agreed. Master System praise makes me happy. Loved Psycho Fox back in the day.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 am

SMS>NES any day of the week for me.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:40 am

Loving the Master System appreciation guys. Maybe you could shopw even more appreciation for the system by going out and ebating some games for it, and then writing about them in this thread so I can decide what games I want to buy for the system next ;)

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Master System. Very European. I approve. I hate those Vic Tokai physics and I've always sucked at R-Type. So good work.

I need to give The Ninja another spin. The title always makes me laugh.

You get the SG-1000 yet? Gotta get this!

Nope, no SG1000 yet. When I get the system, that'll be on my list for sure.

I ended up buying a Wonderswan instead.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 am

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 130
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (20 Games Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*
72. Castlevania - NES - July 29
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - NES - July 29
74. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES - July 29
75. Super Castlevania IV - SNES - July 30
76. Castlevania Adventure - Game Boy - July 30
77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30
78. Contra Rebirth - Wii - July 31
79. Heavy Fire: Special Operations - Wii - July 31
80. Heavy Fire: Black Arms - Wii - July 31
81. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn - July 31*

August (9 Games Beaten)
82. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius - Steam - August 4
83. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn - August 5
84. Sunrider: Liberation Day - Steam - August 6
85. Emily is Away - Steam - August 8
86. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - SNES - August 19
87. Nights of Azure - PlayStation 4 - August 25
88. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PlayStation 4 - August 26
89. Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - Xbox One - August 27
90. Devil's Third - Wii U - August 30*

September (14 Games Beaten)
91. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Switch - September 4
92. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - Wii U - September 4
93. Daytona USA - Xbox 360 - September 6
94. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara - Wii U - September 6
95. Cave Story+ - Switch - September 10
96. Cosmic Star Heroine - Steam - September 14
97. Lego Worlds - Switch - September 16
98. Metroid: Samus Returns - 3DS - September 18
99. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - PlayStation 4 - September 23
100. Weeping Doll - PlayStation VR - September 23
101. Dying: Reborn VR - PlayStation VR - September 24
102. Shadow Warrior 2 - PlayStation 4 - September 28
103. Pokken Tournament DX - Switch - September 29
104. White Day: A Labyrinth Called School - PlayStation 4 - September 30

October (7 Games Beaten)
105. Monster High: New Ghoul in School - Wii U - October 2
106. Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - PlayStation 4 - October 8
107. Barbie Dreamhouse Party - Wii U - October 14
108. Tales of Berseria - PlayStation 4 - October 25
109. Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - PlayStation 4 - October 28
110. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch - October 30
111. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti - Famicom - October 31

November (19 Games Beaten)
112. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch - November 1
113. Sine Mora EX - Switch - November 2
114. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - TurboGrafx-CD - November 4
115. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - Wii U - November 4
116. The Bunker - PlayStation 4 - November 5
117. Dear Esther - PlayStation 4 - November 5
118. Gex - 3DO - November 5
119. Crysis 3 - PlayStation 3 - November 6
120. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Xbox One - November 10
121. Sonic Forces - Switch - November 10
122. Call of Duty: WWII - Xbox One - November 11
123. For Honor - Xbox One - November 12
124. Blue Reflection - PlayStation 4 - November 17
125. Bully - Wii - November 20
126. Star Wars: Battlefront II - Xbox One - November 22
127. Doom - Switch - November 22
128. Onslaught - Wii - November 22
129. Zombie Panic in Wonderland - Wii - November 22
130. Criminal Girls: Invite Only - Vita - November 28

130. Criminal Girls: Invite Only - Vita - November 28

God bless NIS America for bringing us exceptionally pervy weeb games. Criminal Girls: Invite Only is an enhanced port of the PSP game, Criminal Girls, that was previously released only in Japan. As is often the case with these games, it received heavy censorship when it was localized for the West, but a censored game is better than no game, I suppose.

Criminal Girls: Invite Only is a dungeon crawling RPG that is average in pretty much every way. The basic premise of the game is that you're some random guy who accepted a job as what you think is a zookeeper for a wage of $0.00 per hour. Speaking as a high school teacher (which is basically a zookeeper most of the time), that is a criminally low wage. Pun intended. Anyway, it turns out your job is not to manage a zoo, per se, but to guide the souls of seven sinful girls through Hell on a journey of redemption so that they might atone for their sins and be reborn. You also get to play minigames to "motivate" the girls to use stronger abilities and attacks. The game's broken into five floors or dungeons.

Being a port of a PSP game, the visuals aren't mind blowing, but the looks crisp and colorful, and the anime style is well done in the game. The music is extremely standard and not particularly memorable, and while the Japanese voice acting is fairly well done, I ended up just turning the volume off on my Vita and keep Happy Console Gamer playing in the background. I legit watched around 120 of his videos during my playthrough of Criminal Girls. The game utilizes random encounters, but they're not so frequent that they get unbearable like in some RPGs.

The actual combat in the game is fairly entertaining and somewhat unique compared to other games that I've played. When you "motivate" the girls to unlock their abilities, they get added to a pool of abilities that the girls' AI will suggest each turn. As you have four girls in active combat, assuming they're all "motivated," you'll have four abilities from which to choose each turn. These suggestions are usually somewhat tailored to the situation - the girls are more likely to suggest healing abilities when characters are badly injured - but they're not always perfect suggestions, and you'll often find yourself wishing they'd made different suggestions.

Criminal Girls: Invite Only is a good weeb dungeon crawling RPG for the Vita, but it doesn't really stand out from the crowd. The visuals are nice, but the music is so-so, and the North American and European releases (I played the latter) were heavily censored, so we perverted weebs will be a bit disappointed. All in all, though, it's a good experience if you like the genre, but it's held its value pretty well, so I can't say that I'd suggest running out to buy it unless this is your favorite series, you're trying to collect weeb games, or you're a hardcore Vita collector. Definitely borrow it from a friend if you have one who owns a copy of the game, however.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm

alienjesus wrote:Maybe you could shopw even more appreciation for the system by going out and ebating some games for it, and then writing about them in this thread so I can decide what games I want to buy for the system next

I've posted a few Master System reviews here this year. Most recently Submarine Attack and Master of Darkness. If you've never played through Fantasy Zone II, Zillion, or Quartet, definitely do that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming