Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by dunpeal2064 Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

very cool to hear some CotM praise. My searching had led me to believe Aria was widely considered the best of the GBA games, and I was not super excited about visiting the others based on that. Will definitely add that to my GBA list.

Some day I'll get around to SotN. Just need to either find a ps1 copy, or deal with using an item guide for the Saturn version I already have.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:30 pm

1. DKC Returns (3DS)
2.√ Letter
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC)
4. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
5. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (such as it is)
6. Gears of War UItimate Edition (Xbox One)
7. Onechanbara Z2 Chaos (PS4)
8. Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
9. Nioh (PS4)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
11. Dark Souls III: The Ringed City (PC)
12. Demon’s Souls (PS3) replay
13. Dark Souls (PC) replay
14. Dark Souls III (PC) replay
15. Dark Souls (PC) replay
FFXI
16. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NSW) replay
17. Destiny 2 (PC)
18. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)
19. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
20. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyperpunk Bartender Action (PC)

I've wound up spending a lot of gaming time on replays or mired in FFXI for a fair chunk of the year now. However, since I've been playing other stuff again, and will likely have some end of the year gaming I figured I'd get this updated (at least as far as I recall). So, quick list and short comments I guess.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls III
Seems like when there's a lot of Soulsborne discussion 'round here, it gets me in the mood to play them. This was my second run through DeS, this time opting for a melee setup. Did DS1 on NG+ hoping to push INT up and try sorcery, but didn't get enough levels to make it appealing. Did another NG run using sorcery instead. DSIII sorcery run as well.

FFXI
Started a third account and moved existing ones to a low population server. Was fun to see how different early game is now, and to knock out some of the bigger progression things. Technically still active, but, interest has shifted again. Still, it's about all I played for a few months. Listing for that reason.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
My brothers got me a Switch for my birthday, and this was the game I grabbed to have anything to play on it before Mario Odyssey released. I three-starred most/all of the 150cc GPs, and didn't care to mix things up to make 200cc or mirror work. /shrug. Still mostly the same game as on the Wii U, which I put a lot more time into.

Destiny 2
Bought when it released for PC. I played the first one on PS4 (I bought the white PS4 that had it bundled), but didn't stick with it. This one I did technically roll the credits and then some, though that'd only really practically count as doing most of the tutorial. Still, I put in about the time I would have for your average FPS, so, countin' it. I did enjoy the campaign stuff, which seemed better balanced to just go through without grinding side missions.

Doki Doki Literature Club
This is a fairly short (I think 2ish hours) visual novel with a little bit of a twist. I didn't try any kind of replay for it, but suffice to say, if you like the medium (or feel like trying something a little different for a gaming session), then this'd be an easy recommendation. Also, it's free (on Steam as well, still free), so there's little to lose.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Too big to rightfully be DLC, and a little shorter than most of the other entries in the series. So, the relatively budget price works - at least, grabbing it on sale for $20 did for me. Length aside, it's just as high quality a production as other games in the series - probably helped by basically just being more Uncharted 4. No new gameplay mechanics or anything relative to that - while you do play as Chloe (from the second game) paired up with Nadine (secondary antagonist from the fourth), it's not like she has any different moves from Nathan Drake. All in all, pretty much exactly what you'd expect if you've played the series before...or not really a terrible way to sample it, since it's pretty to-the-point, and a stand-alone story.

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyperpunk Bartender Action
Some slightly different game conventions aside, this is essentially a visual novel. The difference is that instead of having dialogue choices, you mix drinks. It's done in the style meant to be reminiscent of PC-98 games, and has frequent references to other games, anime, and other pop culture, but doesn't rely on them to work. Far as I could tell (while playing or looking it up after I'd rolled the credits), this doesn't really necessitate much in the way of multiple playthroughs, outside of gettting achievements. You can succeed in completing all of the character's stories by giving them the right drinks at key points the first time around. As such, a single run through was actually a bit longer than I'd assumed (like 9 hours), but it's easy to not get all of it (I think I missed most of them, actually). The exception would be failing to pay your rent and getting kicked out of your apartment, which is the fail ending and prevents all the rest. /shrug. Still, a fun experience, especially if you want something retro-ish that isn't a metroidvania.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Doki Doki Literature Club seems right up my alley. Also nice to hear some positive things about Destiny 2. I'm still not quite convinced after how hard I got burned with the first one's bullshit excuse for a story, but reading your fairly good view of it has me considering it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

I think Destiny 2 is still pretty similar to the first game, just probably with a few changes made to help it flow better when starting out. If you pushed through further in that and didn't like it, I doubt the second will really change your mind. Still not really that awesome in terms of narrative - lore, maybe, and lots of great voice work...but pretty basic as far as plot goes.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:very cool to hear some CotM praise. My searching had led me to believe Aria was widely considered the best of the GBA games, and I was not super excited about visiting the others based on that. Will definitely add that to my GBA list.

Some day I'll get around to SotN. Just need to either find a ps1 copy, or deal with using an item guide for the Saturn version I already have.

Circle of the Moon is fantastic and the one that gets overlooked a lot from what I've seen, maybe not around here though. First off, it's hard unlike most of the Metroidvania CV's. The music is incredible and I generally hate the GBA sound chip. And most importantly the game actually has a unique looking art style that sets it apart from the rest. It just looks and feels like if they made a Metroidvania on the SNES or Genesis, this would have been the output. The rest of the games just look like palate swaps from SoTN and seem a little lazy outside of new player sprites and bosses.

I still like Aria more than Dawn though. Harmony of Dissonance is my least favorite by a lot. Don't think I remember liking Portrait much. But Order of Ecclesia is amazing and one of my favorites, they finally ditched the DS gimmicks from Dawn and Portrait, the gothic art cover style is back, and it's damn hard. The series went out on a high note. So if you want challenge, Circle and Order are the toughest I'd say.

Unfortunately SoTN is pretty bloated and you'll probably sleep walk through 97% of it, easiest CV game ever. I love it, but it's flawed.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

I do not understand people who enjoy CotM. The whip has a weird hitbox, everything is too dark, the sub powers feel shitty to use, the level designs suck, and your movement is stilted compared to every other Igavania.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Igarashi wasn’t involved with Circle of the Moon at all and it was thrown together by a team with no Castlevania experience on a tight timetable. Given all of that, it is impressive it is as good as it is. Indeed, the controls are a little slow, and the level design is mixed, but it is the first post-SotN Castlevania in that style, and on a brand new platform no less. There are a number of inspired ideas in the game, the music is high quality for GBA, and the graphics are pretty good.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:18 am

1. Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)
2. Blek (iOS)
3. Bloo Kid 2 (3DS)
4. HarmoKnight (3DS)
5. 3D Fantasy Zone II W (3DS)
6. Fantasy Zone (SMS/3DS)
7. 3D Fantasy Zone Opa Opa Bros. (ARC/3DS)
8. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa Opa (SMS/3DS)
9. 3D Classics Twinbee (NES/3DS)
10. Rainbow Bell a/k/a Twinbee (ARC/DS)
11. The Legend of Zelda:Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
12. The Guardian Legend (NES)
13. The Clash at Demonhead (NES)
14. The Goonies II (NES)
15. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (iOS)
16. Mario Kart 64 (N64/Wii U)
17. Drancia Saga (3DS)
18. Chain Blaster (3DS)
19. Color Commando (DS)
20. Ace Mathician (DS)
21. Jump Trials Supreme (3DS)
22. Dragon Quest VII (3DS)
23. Fairune II (3DS)
24. RBI Baseball (NES)
25. River City Tokyo Rumble (3DS)
26. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U)
27. Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders (iOS)
28. Device 6 (iOS)
29. Transformers: Human Alliance (ARC)
30. Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
31. A Ride Into the Mountains (iOS)
32. Super Mario Run (iOS)
33. Legend of Kusakari (3DS)
34. Banjo Kazooie (N64/360)
35. Go! Go! Commander Video (iOS)
36. River City Knights of Justice (3DS)

River City Knights of Justice is a 3DS Kunio-kun game with a high fantasy, swords-and-sorcery setting. This sounds pretty awesome but is, in fact, pretty terrible. Despite its setting, the game actually jettisons most of the series RPG elements, opting instead to simply have your character, Kunio-kun, be extremely overpowered from the very start. (You can’t raise your HP, and you modify your stats only with equipment, which you earn money to purchase by completing fetch quests.). As a result, the game is far too easy at all times. You can pad it out with the aforementioned, and extremely annoying, fetch quests (e.g., “Bring me ten ghosts swords!” <brings ten ghost swords> “Here’s a reward. Now bring me 30 ghost swords!” <sigh...>). It still doesn’t pad out much, however, and you can easily complete the game in a few hours. The battles never really vary, and there is absolutely no strategy to completing them at all. (It is the very definition of “press A to win, and the very hardest thing in the entire game is managing your inventory so that you can complete fetch quests faster.). Finally, the whole thing feels half-baked. (For example, you can stay in an inn in any of the towns for 100 gp. Doing so recovers your character completely and does not penalize you in any way. Alternately, you can go to the restaurants and order a variety of food costing orders of magnitude greater than staying in the inn...that only partially recovers your stats. Why would you ever do that?! I bought every item in the game, and still couldn’t answer that question...). It is apparent the developers were taking the game in a very different direction at some point, but changed course without really finishing the game. I am a fan of this series, but I really cannot recommend this game to anyone. I bought it on sale for half if it’s $15 asking price, ands I still feel ripped off. :(
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:01 pm

I like Circle, even with some of the rough edges. In some ways, it feels like an Iga-vania with a more Classic-vania style. It's my least favorite of the portable hexology, but it's kinda like my feelings about weaker Zelda games; it's still good stuff.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:09 pm

First 25:
1. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PCE-CD)
2. Mega Bomberman (GEN)
3. Lost in Shadow (Wii)
4. Kirby's Dream Land (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
5. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
6. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (via Wii Dream Collection) (SNES)
7. Saturn Bomberman (SAT)
8. Rent a Hero (GEN)
9. Tricolore Crise (DC)
10. Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC)
11. Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken (Joukan) (SAT)
12. Mickey to Donald: Magical Adventure 3 (SFC)
13. Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (SFC)
14. Super Donkey Kong (SFC)
15. Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy (SFC)
16. Anearth Fantasy Stories: First Volume (SAT)
17. Panzer Dragoon (SAT)
18. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (SAT)
19. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX)
20. Cross Tantei Monogatari (SAT)
21. Dragon Quest V (PS2)
22. Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)
23. Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (GEN)
24. Rokudenashi Blues: Taiketsu! Tokyo Shitennou (SFC)
25. Ranma 1/2: Bakuretsu Rantou Hen (SFC)

Second 25:
26. Contra Spirits (SFC)
27. Dennou Senki: Virtual On (SAT)
28. Dead or Alive (SAT)
29. Fighting Vipers (SAT)
30. Last Bronx (SAT)
31. Steeldom (SAT)
32. Street Fighter Zero (SAT)
33. NinPen Manmaru (SAT)
34. Street Fighter Zero 2 (SAT)
35. Street Fighter Zero 2' (SAT)
36. Virtua Fighter Remix (SAT)
37. Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart (PC)
38. Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (PC)
39. Final Fantasy XI: Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (PC)
40. Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin (PC)
41. ToeJam & Earl (GEN)
42. Magical Taruru~to-kun (GEN)
43. Metal Slug X (PS1)
44. Phantasy Star III: Toki no Keishousha (GEN)
45. Phantasy Star: Sennenki no Owari ni (GEN)
46. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter (PS2)
47. Shonen Ashibe: Goma-chan no Yuuenchi Daibouken (SFC)
48. Super Mario Kart (SFC)
49. Rockman Dash: Hagane no Boukenshin (PSP)
50. Umihara Kawase (SFC)

51. Tron ni Kobun (PS1)
52. Tantei Jinguuji Saburou: Shinjuku Chuou Kouen Satsujin Jiken (via PS1 "Early Collection") (FDS)
53. Tantei Jinguuji Saburou: Yokohama-kou Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (via PS1 "Early Collection) (NES)

Episode II of the tales of Tantei Jinguuji Saburou was a much better effort all the way around. The story was more entertaining; the interface was made more snappy and reasonable; visuals were cleaned up to be more presentable; music was way better. There doesn't seem to be a good upload on youtube of the OST, but trust me, it balls so hard, all day. I especially like the intro, ending, password screen, and investigation theme during the climax.

This time around, Saburou is called in by the Yokohama police to investigate the disappearance of one woman, and death of another, both of whom happened to be employees of the Barakan consulate. (I guess Baraka is a fictional country in this game. There's a bartender named Pierre, who speaks Spanish and Barakan, only; So, I'm not sure if the country is meant to be a play on Barakaldo, Spain.) I once knew a girl from Yokohama. Things did not work out, but some dates were had in Minato Mirai, China Town, the red brick warehouses, and various other spots around Yokohama. A number of those places are represented in the game, with particular mention of their popularity as date sites; After all, the missing girl happens to be the fiance of a young man of the sea (last name of Hinode) who tags along with Saburou throughout much of the game. However, while the presentation is much improved from Shinjuku Chuou Kouen Satsujin Jiken, there's still not a lot of resemblance between the locations, and their in game representations. It never really made me feel like I was carrying out an investigation in Yokohama (which is a pretty cool city), but that doesn't really detract from the game at all.

Also, as the titles imply, this turns into a serial murder investigation, where the original game was a simple, isolated homicide. The actions the perp took throughout the course of the game seem kind of outlandish (or maybe just brazen), but the whole thing kind of has that eighties movie vibe to it, with a villain-type to match. It takes some funny little turns at the end, but overall, I enjoyed the story, and the case as a whole. With that said, this one still suffers from some of the same maddening progression requirements as its predecessor, but to a much lesser extent. Fortunately, shortening Saburou's life by making him smoke like a chimney will often provide useful clues on what to do next, which is a far sight better than the nothing on top of nothing that the first game had in place for helping the player.

I think the soundtrack might be the best thing out of this game, but I still enjoyed most of the other aspects of it. I'm glad the developers were able to make these kinds of strides in only a year. I think it might say something that this one actually had credits, unlike the first game. I'd probably just recommend people skip the first game, in favor of Yokohama-kou Renzoku Satsujin Jiken, unless someone really wants to get mildly acquainted with the recurring characters, beforehand.
Return to General Gaming