Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Segata Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've been thinking about Ys again this evening as I watched Game Sack's video about the series while I was eating dinner. I've played I on Master System, I+II on TGCD, III on SNES and TGCD, and Origins on Steam; with regards to the numbered entries, is there an overarching story that necessitates playing them in order, or are they episodic and can be played in any order? I have IV on PCECD as well as VII on PSP and VIII on PS4, but I'm hesitant to play VII without playing V and VI first.

Outside of references, each Ys game aside from 1 and 2 are their own contained story. Some of the numbered games take place in different part of the timeline. All the Ys games are told in a past tense because Adol is long dead and his journals were found and retold told the player.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I've been thinking about Ys again this evening as I watched Game Sack's video about the series while I was eating dinner. I've played I on Master System, I+II on TGCD, III on SNES and TGCD, and Origins on Steam; with regards to the numbered entries, is there an overarching story that necessitates playing them in order, or are they episodic and can be played in any order? I have IV on PCECD as well as VII on PSP and VIII on PS4, but I'm hesitant to play VII without playing V and VI first.

Just play 'em in the order they were released playa. Get those Super Famicom games!

Exhuminator wrote:developed by Telenet Japan, and published by Nippon Telenet, in 1991

Stop. I can only get so erect.

You gotta try the Micro Cabin GG games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:28 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Image

I've actually been playing this. :lol: I've gotten a pretty good ways into it a few times. Holy shit is this game hard though!

PS
MICRO CABIN

-
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 pm

1. Runbow - Wii U
2. Battlefield 1 - Xbox One
3. Until Dawn - PS4
4. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube
5. Titanfall 2 - Xbox One
6. Wario Ware, Inc: Mega Party Game$ - Gamecube
7. Pikmin 2 - Gamecube
8. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Wii U
9. Dawn of War 2 - PC
10. Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising - PC
11. Sonic Mania - PS4
12. Castlevania IV - SNES
13. Super Monkey Ball - GameCube
14. Yakuza 0 - PS4
15. Chu Chu Rocket - Game Boy Advance

A single sit down with this game and I finished the single player puzzle mode. Pretty simple and it caught the attention of my wife, who asked, "What are those cute little mice were doing getting onto a space ship?" :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Those Aleste games look amazing, I've heard the OST's and they are incredible. The Master System / Game Gear sound chips rule.

I didn't realize they were that short so I should check them out soon.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:52 am

It took me all year because I kept getting sidetracked but I finally finished Digimon Cybersleuth. This really is a great little SMT clone. Outside of this game I never knew anything nor seen or played anything Digimon. It just looked like a cool SMT clone. It is. A pretty good OST. Charming cast. Really fun game. Does have a little persona vibe to it even tho it's not Persona at all. I think any Vita or PS4 owner who likes RPGs or esp SMT should pick this up. My only complaints are unskippable cutscenes and the last part of the game drags a bit. Should have ended about 2 hours before it does. I still loved this game and would recommend it to anyone. You don't have to like Football to enjoy NFL Blitz and you don't have to like Digimon to enjoy this game.
Twitter Segata
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

A few more down

Donkey Kong Country 2

Yet another SNES juggernaut that I decided to finally play through this year. I had rented this a couple times as a kid, but primarily played the first game, and thus had always preferred it. Now that I've sat down and given this game its fair shake, it rather decidedly destroys the first game, in just about every aspect. I couldn't believe the game was still throwing new ideas at me in its final act! Great use of characters, huge variety in level design, much better boss fights, very cleverly hidden but well telegraphed secrets, difficulty scaling is on point... the game just hits it out of the park. Similarly to when I finished Super Metroid and Earthbound earlier this year, I went in with some expectations and was thoroughly impressed. (And similarly feel like writing much more than this would be silly, as you all know these games are cool).

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

This is only my 2nd foray into the Metroid-style 'vania games (The first being Dawn of Sorrow... yes, I've never played through SotN), and I had a nice time with it. It was fun running around killing things, finding weapons and armor, and messing about with the different souls. Some weapons and souls had some really neat animations, and Sora was a fun character to pilot, with some nice maneuverability options. That said... I didn't love this game. I kinda expected a lack of difficulty going in, but was still a little let down that even the bosses tended to just fall over. I also didn't really find any of the areas or bosses particularly memorable, which often for me can make up for a lack of challenge. it is all serviceable, sure, but I never got feelings for an area, song, or boss like I often did in Super Metroid. I was feeling this particularly during the final boss fight, which is almost laughable in its lack of awe. I don't want to harp on the game too badly, though, it was at least fun enough that I finished it without any struggle.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 am

Just realized that I wrote these out of order (forgot to write a review for Blue Reflection), so I'll just post them out of order!

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 124
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (20 Games Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*
72. Castlevania - NES - July 29
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - NES - July 29
74. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES - July 29
75. Super Castlevania IV - SNES - July 30
76. Castlevania Adventure - Game Boy - July 30
77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30
78. Contra Rebirth - Wii - July 31
79. Heavy Fire: Special Operations - Wii - July 31
80. Heavy Fire: Black Arms - Wii - July 31
81. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn - July 31*

August (9 Games Beaten)
82. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius - Steam - August 4
83. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn - August 5
84. Sunrider: Liberation Day - Steam - August 6
85. Emily is Away - Steam - August 8
86. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - SNES - August 19
87. Nights of Azure - PlayStation 4 - August 25
88. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PlayStation 4 - August 26
89. Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - Xbox One - August 27
90. Devil's Third - Wii U - August 30*

September (14 Games Beaten)
91. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Switch - September 4
92. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - Wii U - September 4
93. Daytona USA - Xbox 360 - September 6
94. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara - Wii U - September 6
95. Cave Story+ - Switch - September 10
96. Cosmic Star Heroine - Steam - September 14
97. Lego Worlds - Switch - September 16
98. Metroid: Samus Returns - 3DS - September 18
99. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - PlayStation 4 - September 23
100. Weeping Doll - PlayStation VR - September 23
101. Dying: Reborn VR - PlayStation VR - September 24
102. Shadow Warrior 2 - PlayStation 4 - September 28
103. Pokken Tournament DX - Switch - September 29
104. White Day: A Labyrinth Called School - PlayStation 4 - September 30

October (7 Games Beaten)
105. Monster High: New Ghoul in School - Wii U - October 2
106. Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - PlayStation 4 - October 8
107. Barbie Dreamhouse Party - Wii U - October 14
108. Tales of Berseria - PlayStation 4 - October 25
109. Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - PlayStation 4 - October 28
110. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch - October 30
111. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti - Famicom - October 31

November (13 Games Beaten)
112. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch - November 1
113. Sine Mora EX - Switch - November 2
114. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - TurboGrafx-CD - November 4
115. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - Wii U - November 4
116. The Bunker - PlayStation 4 - November 5
117. Dear Esther - PlayStation 4 - November 5
118. Gex - 3DO - November 5
119. Crysis 3 - PlayStation 3 - November 6
120. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Xbox One - November 10
121. Sonic Forces - Switch - November 10
122. Call of Duty: WWII - Xbox One - November 11
123. For Honor - Xbox One - November 12
124. Bully - Wii - November 20

124. Bully - Wii - November 20

Bully is a game about the struggles of adolescence, high school cliques, and puberty. It also takes place in the worse school in the country. Bullsworth Academy is a private boarding school, and after being expelled from like seven other schools, that's where 15 year old Jimmy Hopkins finds himself.

The game plays a lot like most of Rockstar's games; it's an open world action adventure game that's broken down into set missions while leaving you free to do mostly whatever you want. It's more restrictive than Grand Theft Auto - you can't very well have a 15 year old hiring hookers and then murdering them to get your money back - but you're still free to explore Bullsworth and take part in a number of optional challenges and jobs alongside the core story missions. After you finish the last mission, you're also free to finish up any tasks you might have missed along the way, so you don't have to stress about missing something during your playthrough.

The core of the story involves Jimmy's journey to navigate through the new school and deal with the various cliques, eventually beating them all into submission and becoming "king of the school." Along your journey, you get various weapons - all non-lethal, of course - and the ability to unlock various bikes and scooters to help you get through town more quickly and efficiently. There are a variety of classes to attend - two per day - and passing them unlocks various upgrades to make your life a little bit easier.

The game beautifully stereotypes high school cliques, and the voice actors they chose for the various characters did a perfect job of bringing those stereotypes to life. The entire audio design, from voice acting to sound effects to soundtrack, fits the game extremely well. The visuals aren't much of an upgrade from PlayStation 2, but there seems to be a little improvement to color depth and some slight enhancements to texture details. Overall, though, it's a fair looking game, but it doesn't take much advantage of the Wii's hardware strength over the PlayStation 2.

Bully is a good, solid Rockstar title that makes the transition from PlayStation 2 to Wii fairly well. The motion controls aren't as fluid or precise as Call of Duty, The Conduit, or Metroid Prime, but there's a lock on button when fighting enemies, so there aren't many situations where motion aiming is necessary. Even with the imperfect motion controls when aiming, the game in general controls extremely well and is a joy to play. The story is both interesting and funny especially for those of us who work in a high school (and aren't that far removed from being a student in high school). Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Bully, and it's worth noting that while the PS2 original is the highest rated version, the Wii version tends to get rated just a hair below that and decently higher than the Xbox 360 or Windows ports, and the Wii port has a handful of added features and missions that the PS2 version didn't have.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 am

Xeogred wrote:Those Aleste games look amazing, I didn't realize they were that short so I should check them out soon.

GG Aleste and GG Aleste 2 are amazing, they kick ass. Worth playing however you can play them.

(Let me make something clear; Compile made Aleste and Powerstrike II on Master System. Compile also made GG Aleste and Powerstrike II (AKA GG Aleste 2) on GameGear. But these are not the same shmups across the board. The Master System and GameGear games, despite sharing the same names by the same developer, are not the same games.

Segata wrote:Digimon Cybersleuth

I've got the physical version on Vita. I hope the sequel comes our way next year. If you want more in the meantime, check this out:

You can play it in English: https://digimonworldre.wordpress.com/2015/06/22/495/

dunpeal2064 wrote:Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

This is only my 2nd foray into the Metroid-style 'vania games (The first being Dawn of Sorrow... yes, I've never played through SotN) I don't want to harp on the game too badly, though, it was at least fun enough that I finished it without any struggle.

Dude. DUDE. For the love of all things good in this world, you must play through SotN ASAP. I also strongly recommend Circle of the Moon on GBA, and Order of Ecclesia on DS. All three of those are god-tier Igavanias. The other Igavanias are good to great, but not as essential as SotN, CotM, and OoE. I'm saying that as someone who's beaten every Igavania, and also enjoys a nice pair of slacks.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 am

Meh, Sotn is vastly overrated. Best OST of the Iga games, however. Circle of the Moon is the only Iga game I truly love and of course, he removed it from canon. That said should probably play Sotn regardless just to at least decide for yourself. Circle of the Moon I agree is one that must be played.
Twitter Segata
Return to General Gaming