Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm

My daughter and I have been playing Super Castlevania IV. I love it, but I eventually hit a wall. Story of my life. I appreciate that most of these games have a password or save feature. Even the first one (FDS version, that is).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm

The boss rush is a tough part for me, but nothing compared to Rondo's.

Some of those platforming moments with the weird Mode 7 chandelier's is kind of tricky too. Something about that part always sticks out to me.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Best game in the series IMO. Before the series abandoned it's gothic horror roots and became glam rock. Nice and gothic and linear as it should be.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm

I've professed my love for Symphony of the Night (and pretty much all the Igavanias) more times than I can count. I think that SCIV might be my favorite Classicvania, though. Although all of the big hitters of the series can make claims to being the best in certain ways. Rondo is good, too, but I also think it's a smidge overrated.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:45 pm

First 25:
1. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PCE-CD)
2. Mega Bomberman (GEN)
3. Lost in Shadow (Wii)
4. Kirby's Dream Land (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
5. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (via Wii Dream Collection) (GB)
6. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (via Wii Dream Collection) (SNES)
7. Saturn Bomberman (SAT)
8. Rent a Hero (GEN)
9. Tricolore Crise (DC)
10. Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC)
11. Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchou no Daibouken (Joukan) (SAT)
12. Mickey to Donald: Magical Adventure 3 (SFC)
13. Kishin Douji Zenki: Battle Raiden (SFC)
14. Super Donkey Kong (SFC)
15. Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy (SFC)
16. Anearth Fantasy Stories: First Volume (SAT)
17. Panzer Dragoon (SAT)
18. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (SAT)
19. Panzer Dragoon Orta (XBOX)
20. Cross Tantei Monogatari (SAT)
21. Dragon Quest V (PS2)
22. Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)
23. Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu II (GEN)
24. Rokudenashi Blues: Taiketsu! Tokyo Shitennou (SFC)
25. Ranma 1/2: Bakuretsu Rantou Hen (SFC)

Second 25:
26. Contra Spirits (SFC)
27. Dennou Senki: Virtual On (SAT)
28. Dead or Alive (SAT)
29. Fighting Vipers (SAT)
30. Last Bronx (SAT)
31. Steeldom (SAT)
32. Street Fighter Zero (SAT)
33. NinPen Manmaru (SAT)
34. Street Fighter Zero 2 (SAT)
35. Street Fighter Zero 2' (SAT)
36. Virtua Fighter Remix (SAT)
37. Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart (PC)
38. Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (PC)
39. Final Fantasy XI: Rhapsodies of Vana'diel (PC)
40. Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin (PC)
41. ToeJam & Earl (GEN)
42. Magical Taruru~to-kun (GEN)
43. Metal Slug X (PS1)
44. Phantasy Star III: Toki no Keishousha (GEN)
45. Phantasy Star: Sennenki no Owari ni (GEN)
46. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter (PS2)
47. Shonen Ashibe: Goma-chan no Yuuenchi Daibouken (SFC)
48. Super Mario Kart (SFC)
49. Rockman Dash: Hagane no Boukenshin (PSP)
50. Umihara Kawase (SFC)

51. Tron ni Kobun (PS1)
52. Tantei Jinguuji Saburou: Shinjuku Chuou Kouen Satsujin Jiken(via PS1 "Early Collection") (FDS)

To hell with this game. Earlier this year I played Cross Tantei Monogatari on the Saturn, and had a pretty great time with it. I found out that the director for that game later worked on Jinguuji Saburou Innocent Black (which I also own), and I decided that I should dive into the Tantei Jinguuji Saburou series. So, I picked up Tantei Jinguuji Saburou: Early Collection for the PS1, which has the first four games in the series (technically five, since the third entry is split across two releases) on one disc, with a bunch of little extras.

I had read before that the first game is kind of rough, but that's an understatement. It's basically a turd. I was interested in the series because I enjoy the hard boiled detective genre, and I presumed that the series was an influence for the Phoenix Wright games, but there's almost nothing good about the Shinjuku Chuou Kouen Satsujin Jiken. The interface is absurdly clunky, and what little there is for "artistic" graphics is almost comically bad. 1987 was a long time ago, but not so long ago that this should be acceptable:
[Image Not Found}
I was trying to find an image of the yakuza standing outside of the Meijigumi HQ, but apparently it's so hideous that it can't be captured with current technology.

The main issue I have with the game is that it's a pretty simple case, but they threw in the most impossible sequences of actions to actually get to the end of it. The entire 2D park area is basically one giant red herring, except that when you actually do have to go there to progress the story, it requires the most abstruse sequences of bullshit I've ever seen in an adventure game. Basically there's a police post in the top left corner of the park, with no indication that it's there, outside of one of the people in the park saying 'look around in the Northwest edge of the park'--even though there's a big, useless, fucking building, and a shrine that is both visible, and accessible (but just as useless) right in the same area! That's not enough, though: There are only two specific police officers there, who only show up on three of the 15 days over which the game takes place, who will actually have the information required to progress.

Fortunately, the Early Collection has some bonus hints and things that kind of outline that part of the game (I guess it's somewhat infamous), but it's not comprehensive, and before that, I had an issue with the boss of the Meijigumi, Gouzou. The Early Collection gives a hint to go back to the Meijigumi HQ to talk with the yakuza outside, and after doing that, I thought it would be reasonable to go back in to talk with the boss again about what I had found out. At which point Gouzou apparently doesn't know who the fuck Saburou is anymore, and orders that he be whacked for letting himself in. At this point I thought it reasonable that I couldn't go back in, but no, I just had to ask the dude outside about Gouzou, every time, before going inside. So, okay, I had Saburou take a smoke break, where he had an epiphany that takes me back to Gouzou (it was kind of fortunate that I even stumbled across this). I ask Gouzou some stuff about a loan that had been talked about earlier. He's like, 'It was 30 million,' and Saburou is like, 'you said it was 50 mill, last time, asshole,' and I'm thinking, 'okay, well what now, smart guy?' Turns out, the developer's think it is completely reasonable at this point for some freelance detective to threaten the head of a major Yakuza family, even though trying to threaten almost anyone else in the game is completely ineffective.

Basically, the game is just full of those kinds of nonsense patterns, that seem to be solely for the purpose of slowing the player down. Because, there's really not much to the actually 'mystery.' It's not that complicated, although this brings me to some issues I have with the explanation given at the end of the game:
So Tsunohazu supposedly takes a hang-glider up to the roof of a Shinjuku hotel--with a dead, fucking, body--and no one sees this? People remember the hang-glider sitting on top of the roof of Momoko's car, but NO ONE notices some dude jumping off the top of a building in SHINJUKU! Also, Momoko was apparently choked with a rope in the hotel room, but I actually found some rope around the shrine in the park (which inevitably had no bearing on the story). So, I kind of liked the scenario I had envisioned, where Tsunohazu takes Momoko hang-gliding, while Machiko waits for them at the park; Tsunohazu loosens her holster, choking her with the rope, and it drops into the shrine, while Momoko drops into the bushes. Either way, why did blunt force trauma from the fall not show up in the god damn POLICE REPORT! Kumano, your precinct is a fucking mess, dude.

Man, that game made me angry. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm just hopeful that the rest of these early games in the series don't have as much in the way of byzantine procedures for solving the mystery.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Boss post. Whenever I see the letters "FDS" I get a little tingly.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)
35. Contra (NES)
36. Super C (NES)
37. Final Fight 2* (SNES)
38. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
39. Final Fight 3* (SNES)
40. Operation C (GB)
41. Contra Hard Corps [End B] (Genesis)
42. Mega Turrican (Genesis)
43. Prey (PC)
44. Dark Souls 3 DLC: Ashes of Ariandel & The Ringed City (PS4)
45. Spec Ops: The Line (PC)
46. System Shock Enhanced Edition (PC)
47. Tekken 7 (PS4)
48. Nier Automata [Platinum] (PS4)
49. Nier (B) (PS3)
50. Drakengard 3 (A-C) (PS3)
51. FEAR Extraction Point* (PC)
52. FEAR Perseus Mandate* (PC)
53. Transmissions: Element 120 (PC)
54. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
55. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
56. Sonic CD* (PC)
57. Alan Wake* (PC)
58. Deus Ex* (PC)
59. Momodora III (PC)
60. Mega Man 7* (PS4, MMLC2)
61. Mega Man 8* (PS4, MMLC2)
62. Mega Man 9* (PS4, MMLC2)
63. Mega Man 10* (PS4, MMLC2)
64. Rockman & Forte* (SNES)
65. Mega Man Legends (PSX)
66. Sonic Mania (PC)
67. Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX)
68. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (PC)
69. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
70. Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
71. Blue Revolver (PC)
72. Caladrius Blaze (PC)
73. Crimson Clover World Ignition (PC)
74. Deathsmiles (PC)
75. Ikaruga* (PC)
76. Jamestown (PC)
77. Metal Slug (PC)
78. Metal Slug 3 (PC)
79. Metal Slug X (PC)
80. Mushihimesama (PC)
81. Dead Space* (PC)
82. AM2R* (PC)
83. Trouble Witches Origin (PC)
84. Blaster Master Zero (3DS)
85. Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
86. Dead Space 2* (PC)
87. Yoshi's Woolly World (WiiU)
88. Crash Bandicoot HD (PS4, NST)
89. Crash Bandicoot 2 HD (PS4, NST)
90. Crash Bandicoot 3 HD (PS4, NST)
91. Cuphead (PC)
92. The Evil Within 2 (PS4)

* replay

Clear Time: 18:27, beefy game.

I am a big fan of The Evil Within but can acknowledge that it felt like a bit of a prototype that could have been more. It was kind of for the hardcore Shinji Mikami fans like myself or those who really really like survival horror action games. Something was missing and I think they found that spark with The Evil Within 2 here, which improves upon the original in a lot of ways. Most importantly, the overall gameplay and progression, along with the characters and storytelling. It's still a very bizarre series, mixing in horror with other dimensions with a Matrix gimmick, but that lets them go wild with creativity. Shinji Mikami is the executive producer on this one, taking a backseat from the director spot as his new apparent protege John Johanas has taken up that job. John worked on the previous games' DLC chapters. Shinji's mark is still all over this and the quality shows.

Visually, TEW2 uses the Stem Engine... which I am assuming is modified idTech5 or 6 work as it shares a lot of graphical qualities with new Doom, so it's often an incredible looking game and technically impressive. The transitions are flat out some of the coolest, surreal and uniquely obtuse transitions I've seen since the PS2 Silent Hill games. And the majority of it is incredibly seamless. As a huge horror game fan it was a real feast to see something in 2017 still bring a lot of creative ideas to the general look and style of a game. This of course, also goes along with some of the bosses and monster designs. Flat out incredible stuff and there was more than a handful of scenes that you would have guessed were rendered CGI, but it was all in game. I will not spoil the best ones, but here's a scary chainsaw lady made up of a bunch of bodies.

Gameplay wise it feels even more like the perfect marriage of Silent Hill and Resident Evil. There are a few hub town parts throughout the game even with a few side missions, but nothing too crazy. I think there was four total, so this is not open world at all with junk fluff. No worries! It felt very much like the town portions of Silent Hill 2. There was also The Marrow, an underground industrial lab (very much like RE labs) that was one of my favorite areas as well, that was like an underground connection of some of the hub areas. Then you have the more linear corridors moving the story forward. Everything was rotated in out and perfectly with great progression. I loved this change up in the gameplay, keeping it fresh and interesting from start to finish even for a game of its size. The combat is basically like the first but feels smoother and better, in the vein of RE4 and Dead Space, where every single bullet matters. The classic Shinji Capcom style of intricate character and weapon upgrades is still here too, which I love.

Most importantly though the story and characters are just flat out hugely improved. Sebastian has a new voice actor which is a little jarring at first, but then grew on me. The final stretch of the game and ending, was an emotional roller coaster and something I never would have predicted from The Evil Within series. It humanizes everyone really well and I really got into it. Even fans harsh on the first or whom completely ignored it, are turning around nicely on this installment. While most people will probably look to Resident Evil 7 this year for survival horror, I personally think The Evil Within 2 is the better game and more of what I wish Resident Evil was today.

A very impressive output from Tango, can't wait to see what they do next.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:44 pm

pierrot wrote:Basically, the game is just full of those kinds of nonsense patterns, that seem to be solely for the purpose of slowing the player down. / Man, that game made me angry. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm just hopeful that the rest of these early games in the series don't have as much in the way of byzantine procedures for solving the mystery.

As much as I like the aesthetics of early Japanese adventure games, too often actually playing them is an extreme chore. The whole menu based control system + continuously/randomly choosing options until something happens = not a lot of fun. However, when it comes to the series you're talking about, I did have a pretty good time with this:
And I'm looking forward to this:

And speaking of detective adventure games, it just so happens my wife and I beat one tonight:

97. Contradiction: Spot the Liar! | 2015 | PC | 8/10

Gamers of a certain age may remember Tim Follins for his musical contributions to many classic games' OSTs. As it turns out in 2015, that same Tim Follins also produced a Kickstarter backed FMV adventure game. The story casts the player as Detective Jenks, who is conducting interrogations with various denizens of the small village of Edenton (in England). Jenks is there because a young woman has turned up drowned, his job is to find out how she died, and who's responsible for her death. It's not too long before Jenks discovers a hidden cult within the town that is having a profound effect on the local youth. Of course, the young woman was involved with said cult. The player must help Jenks gather evidence, question witnesses productively, and above all else, spot the liars. For it is only when a witness is caught in an undeniable lie, that they will they aid Jenks in his investigation, begrudgingly.

Unlike most FMV games, Contradiction is very interactive. The player is able to freely explore an entire village and nearby forest, search areas for evidence, solve item puzzles, and interrogate witnesses in an intricate fashion. Jenks records all witness testimony in his journal, allowing the player at any time to recall what any character said, and use that statement to find a contradiction in another recorded statement. It is very fun helping Jenks find the lies, and see the liars' reactions. However, the amount of statements that eventually become available for the player to search through, becomes exponential towards the end of the game. What was at first fun and simple, eventually becomes a nightmare to parse and keep track of in any relevant fashion for the player. Worse yet, there are often contradictions that are easily seen, yet cannot be initiated. Yet at other times, there are totally not obvious contradictions that must be formed from seemingly irrelevant statements. Combine the latter with the occasional obtuse item puzzle, or unintuitive location changes... and the player will likely be reaching for a walkthrough about halfway through Contradiction.

And that's okay, because Contradiction makes a better movie than it does a game. The actual plot, atmosphere, and brilliantly fun acting are the meat of the experience. I usually do not recommend people playing through games with walkthroughs, but I do with Contradiction, because doing so will increase the fun factor. It is quite fun to soak up the small town ambience as day turns to night, laughing at Jenks' wily antics, and slowly realizing the true amount of evil permeating Edenton. The cinematography is also excellent, with brilliant transitional effects between scenes. The OST although subdued, does capture the appropriate emotional moments as well. While I'll be the first to admit Contradiction: Spot the Liar! did not live up to its own expectations, the end result is still quite entertaining. Unfortunately while the ending does resolve the initial case, the overall plot ends on a cliffhanger. It's rather unlikely that Tim Follins will produce a sequel, based on his interviews. Nonetheless, Contradiction did do its part to push the FMV genre into a higher tier of quality. And that's no lie!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 am

Nice write up Xeo. Evil Within 2 is on my want to play list but you just bumped it up higher.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 am

noiseredux wrote:Nice write up Xeo. Evil Within 2 is on my want to play list but you just bumped it up higher.

Yes! Thought of you when I wrote that up, wondering if you were interested or would see that. I can't remember if you liked the first game or not (I don't think anyone here but me did...), but yeah the second is totally worth checking out regardless. I bet you'd dig it.
Return to General Gaming