Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Markies Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)

3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)

I beat Adventures of Lolo on the NES this afternoon!

I figured the best way to celebrate my 35th Birthday was to beat a game, so I pushed through a quick game that I was near the end of.

Adventures of Lolo is a cute and unique little puzzle game. It has about 50 levels and most of them can be beaten after a few minutes of trying. The formula never really changes for the 50 levels, but each puzzle is unique enough to stave off repetition. However, the constant theme of music does get repetitious and old in a very short while.

There is not much to the game, but it is fun in short bits. It's a fun little puzzler, nothing more nothing less.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Markies wrote:I figured the best way to celebrate my 35th Birthday was to beat a game, so I pushed through a quick game that I was near the end of.

First...Happy Birthday! It is good having you on the forum, and I appreciate your posts.

Second, Adventures of Lolo is such a fun game, and the sequels are just as good. I would love to see another one someday (or, at the very least, a cameo in a BoxBoy! game).
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:46 pm

I always tried to find a copy of Lolo 3, and had no luck ever seeing it in the wild. Of course, this would explain why it goes for around $50 cart-only on eBay.

Which, actually, looks downright cheap compared to some of the NES library.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Sarge wrote:I always tried to find a copy of Lolo 3, and had no luck ever seeing it in the wild. Of course, this would explain why it goes for around $50 cart-only on eBay.

Which, actually, looks downright cheap compared to some of the NES library.

Yeah...given its rarity and playability, it really isn't a bad deal.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:02 pm

If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

It's theoretically a localised version of the Japanese GB Lolo game, only it had about 3x as much content, so it's not really the same at all.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Every time I see someone mention Lolo I get its song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

MrPopo wrote:Every time I see someone mention Lolo I get its song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Lolo... la la la la Lolo.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:21 pm

alienjesus wrote:If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

It's theoretically a localised version of the Japanese GB Lolo game, only it had about 3x as much content, so it's not really the same at all.

Oh really? Learned something new today. :)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Sarge wrote:
alienjesus wrote:If you think that one's expensive, check out the PAL-only Game Boy game (which is considered by many to be the best in the series).

Oh really? Learned something new today. :)

From HG101:
Lolo no Daibouken later saw a massively enhanced European release called Adventures of Lolo. While the Japanese game has fifty puzzles in all, the European version has a whopping one hundred forty-four puzzles. Not only that, but it also has Super Game Boy support, which the Japanese version lacks. It even has a tutorial, in case you're just getting into the franchise. Furthermore, the intros, title screens, and the screens shown before and after each puzzle are mostly different between the two regions, although some have merely been switched around. The European release has the same basic story, but the manual complicates it with all kinds of utter nonsense. Lastly, there's an odd feature where the music differs depending on which direction Lolo is facing, though only in Intermediate Level.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:48 pm

I never knew a third game existed!

It's fascinating to think I was playing Lolo back when I was 3-4 years old. Love those first two.
Return to General Gaming