Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by marurun Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm

It's a lot more like Japanese PC action RPGs of the time, which is intentional, or at least not coincidental.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Yeah, I was completely unfamiliar with Falcom's output then, but so many of the design decisions they made make it obvious in hindsight what their pedigree was.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

y'all should try the original Xanadu mwahahahaha
marurun

by marurun Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:47 pm

My understanding was that Faxanadu was 100% Hudson, merely Falcom licensed and inspired.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 pm

marurun wrote:My understanding was that Faxanadu was 100% Hudson, merely Falcom licensed and inspired.

Some sites say it was developed by Falcom, some say Hudson and Falcom co-developed, some say Hudson developed. I'm not really sure myself.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 pm

I can’t find any official credits for the game, but Jun Chikuma is regularly (un)credited for the music, and she was Hudson through and through. HG101 indicates that Falcom actually selected Hudson to do a Famicom version of Xanadu rather than Hudson simply licensing the property.

With the exception of Faxanadu, Falcom’s other early NES releases were all ported by Compile, up until Ys I and II, both of which it appears Falcom did in-house.

Weird.

Falcom let Hudson do all their stuff on PC Engine except Xanadu I and II. They seem to pick and choose which titles they do themselves pretty carefully.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:35 pm

marurun wrote:With the exception of Faxanadu, Falcom’s other early NES releases were all ported by Compile, up until Ys I and II, both of which it appears Falcom did in-house.

Falcom developed Legacy of the Wizard themselves too. Does seem random.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:12 pm

So, I decided to do a little digging, and found a blog post from Iwasaki Hiromasa's personal blog. He was put in charge of Ys I & II for the PC Engine. It's a pretty fantastic read, although he admits that ~21 year old memories potentially have some holes. During his free time, while working on the debugging for Susanoo Densetsu--apparently his first major project, and wow does that explain a lot about the game--he would slink off into an area of one of the development rooms on the fourth floor of Hudson's HQ in Hokkaido to play Ys II. He was asked by someone at Hudson, who could apparently move mountains, named Nakamoto, if he wanted to make a port of Ys II since he liked it so much. To which Iwasaki Hiromasa replied that he would do it, if he could make both I and II into one CD-ROM game, because they would work so well together as a single game, and the CD-ROM format would afford the space for all sorts of enhancements.

So, Nakamoto takes young Iwasaki down to Falcom headquarters, where they met with Katou Masayuki (Falcom's founder and president). Here's the relevant part: Iwasaki mentions that Falcom and Hudson did not have a very good relationship at the time, because Hudson had been given the Xanadu license to make a port of the game for the Famicom, and instead made something that hardly even resembled what it was supposed to be based on. At the time (Japanese) people expected a port of Falcom's flagship title, and reception of Faxanadu was anything but good because of how it betrayed the expectations.

To quickly summarize the rest of the story: Katou Masayuki told Nakamoto and Iwasaki that they could have the license for some exorbitant sum of money that Iwasaki imagined was, in Katou's mind, enough that he figured it would make Hudson give up on the license, but even if it didn't, would still pay plenty of bills. So, Nakamoto immediately accepted the licensing agreement, and the rest is history. Iwasaki goes on to say that the nerds in accounting complained that they wouldn't be able to recover the expenditures, and were told to 'sell more CD units to recover them.' In the end, the relationship between Falcom and Hudson was saved by some mystery man (at least to me) named Nakamoto, and a punk kid with little more than some nonsense RPG on his resume.

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:With the exception of Faxanadu, Falcom’s other early NES releases were all ported by Compile, up until Ys I and II, both of which it appears Falcom did in-house.

Not all that random, since Kiya Yoshio would have been personally involved with Legacy of the Wizard/Dragon Slayer IV, and Legend of Xanadu - Dragon Slayer VIII. (Those two started their lives on home consoles.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:15 am

pierrot wrote:Iwasaki mentions that Falcom and Hudson did not have a very good relationship at the time, because Hudson had been given the Xanadu license to make a port of the game for the Famicom, and instead made something that hardly even resembled what it was supposed to be based on.

Looks like you've cleared the mystery up with your fantastic detective work. Awesome job man!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:31 am

Exhuminator wrote:

I have read in several places that Compile actually did the NES port of this. And that one Japanese devs book I shat all over in my review pretty much confirms it. (I trust the content of the author's interviews, I just thought they were horribly unprofessional and nearly unreadable in places.)

Edit: to clarify, indications are that Compile programmed the NES version, but Falcom may have still been very involved in the port. Seems in this case it wasn't a Compile title licensed from Falcom, but more of a Falcom title where Compile was contracted for programming work.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to General Gaming