Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Exhuminator »

Star Fox 2 (SNES Classic Version) | 7/10

There's a lot of history concerning Star Fox 2, and I'm not about to cover all that. Let's just say it's nice to see this game finally officially released. So what we have here is indeed the sequel to Star Fox, but not without some significant changes. Star Fox 2 assumes the player has already played Star Fox, so I'll do the same. This time around Andross is bringing a full assault through the Lylat System directed at the home planet Corneria. It's up to the Star Fox squadron to stop Andross' armada, as well as a nemesis squadron of rival pilots under Andross' command. Can they destroy Andross and his home base Venom? Or will Star Wolf prove too much to handle? Finally twenty one years later Nintendo let's us find out!

In the original Star Fox, the player selected a path through Lylat using linear series of levels. In Star Fox 2 however, Lylat is wide open, with the player able to move between "events" as they choose. Events represent levels more or less. So you'll use your pilots to stop incoming missiles, blow up star cruisers, destroy robot dragons, and dog fight bad guy pilots. All of these events are sent from Andross with one purpose; to damage Corneria. If Corneria's damage total reaches 100%, it's game over. The player also no longer has lives, but rather their pilot and one wingmate. Each pilot has unique stats and special weapons. You can choose from many different pilots (I went with Fox McCloud and Slippy). If you die playing as one pilot, the other pilot can take over acting as a second chance.

The thing about these events is they all happen in real time. So if you take too long to blow up a missile, a star cruiser may shoot some lasers at Corneria while you're not looking. Indeed there's an element of real time strategy here, with time management being important. Thankfully you can not only return to the mothership to refill health, but also use it to warp around the Lylat system to save time. You'll be ranked on your time and other factors, meaning replays are viable to improve your ranking (I finished with a D ranking). After you've destroyed enough events, eventually you'll have to dog fight Wolf O'Donnell. For me this fight was the only actually challenging part of the game. Everything before Wolf O'Donnell, and after Wolf O'Donnell, including fighting Andross himself, was incredibly easy. The original Star Fox wasn't exactly hard, but Star Fox 2 is a cake walk in comparison.

Graphically however, Star Fox 2's developers pushed the Super FX chip to the limit here. The polygonal technology on display is often impressive given the limitations. The new OST while brief, does include some great new tracks. Also the Arwings can now transform into devastating walking tanks for surface levels. But all in all, Star Fox 2 does not live up to its predecessor. Star Fox 2 lacks the polish, scope, and charm of the original Star Fox. The levels feel tiny, without much variation, and lack the surprises of the original Star Fox. Rather this is an experience banking on technical spectacle rather than spirit. Now that's not to say that Star Fox 2 isn't a fun thirty minutes of your time. It is, especially if you enjoyed the original Star Fox. But I can understand why Nintendo thought Star Fox 64 was a better successor to Star Fox than this was. If there's a positive takeaway here, it's that some of the ideas in Star Fox 2 were later used more effectively in the underrated Star Fox Command on DS. But is Star Fox 2 worth buying a SNES Classic for? Reply hazy, do a barrel roll.

Edit: I have no idea what anybody's name is in this series.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Star Fox 2 is indeed far easier than the original. But I was utterly distracted by the sentence "It's up to Star Fox and his wingmates to stop Andross' armada". Star Fox is the name of the team; Fox McCloud is the leader.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Star Fox is the name of the team; Fox McCloud is the leader.

That's technically true. But in my head Fox himself has always been the Star Fox.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I always just thought it was weird that his first name is Fox. Like, Peppy Hare is one thing, but Fox being called Fox is like if your dad decided to name you Human.

His dad's name was James. Clearly he was a good pilot but not very good with names.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

It always feels lazy to me when an animal characters name is just their species. May as well have a human character named Human or Man or Woman(last part worked for WCW heh).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Don't forget Falco and Katt.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

So now I'm reading that Star Wolf is not the wolf himself, his name is actually Wolf O'Donnell. Star Wolf is the name of his squadron. Basically despite having beaten Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command, I really don't know anybody's proper names in this series. If that doesn't prove I'm not a furry, nothing does.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

It just proves you're not a sci-fi furry. Additional proof needed to rule out other varieties.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:So now I'm reading that Star Wolf is not the wolf himself, his name is actually Wolf O'Donnell. Star Wolf is the name of his squadron. Basically despite having beaten Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command, I really don't know anybody's proper names in this series. If that doesn't prove I'm not a furry, nothing does.

This feels like a smoke screen to try and throw us off your trail.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:So now I'm reading that Star Wolf is not the wolf himself, his name is actually Wolf O'Donnell. Star Wolf is the name of his squadron. Basically despite having beaten Star Fox, Star Fox 2, Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command, I really don't know anybody's proper names in this series. If that doesn't prove I'm not a furry, nothing does.

This feels like a smoke screen to try and throw us off your tail.

Fixed