Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Other than the TurboGrafx version, what versions do you consider worth playing? Clearly you like the Famicom version, but what about Genesis and SNES?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm

TurboGrafx CD is the best by a landslide. Great gameplay and the music just pushes it over the edge into greatness.

Genesis is solid. Gameplay comparable to TGCD, but obviously the musical score isn't as rad.

Famicom = read my last post. 8) I dig it, but there's no real reason for a casual fan to play it unless you really want to try the most accessible 8-bit version.

SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

PlayStation 2 is odd. It's insanely short and easy. Like, you'd finish it in an afternoon. Might be fun to try once you've already finished another version and have a good handle on the game (it's in Japanese).
Ack

by Ack Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:55 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

Yet still doable. If I can do it, you can do it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Ys III is pretty disappointing in that it wasn't creatively ahead of the pack like its prequels, nor did it improve much on its inspirations. Still a decent game though.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

But the SNES soundtrack is actually not too bad. I think they did a fine version adapting the music to the SNES. Better than the Genesis.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Old:

Valiant Hearts the Great War - PS4
Scott Pilgrim - PS3
Comix Zone - PS3

New:

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - PS3

This feels like a long, lost Sega Genesis game made by both Sega and Shiny Entertainment, Inc. And it features a protagonist that feels like he fell out of a Disgaea game.

This reviews covers the game so well, including both pros and cons, that I don't need to add much:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/25/hell- ... rs-review/

I will say that this game is interesting in that it's one of those rare games that is designed around sadism. You will kill enemies in this game in the most brutal, gory, and downright EVIL ways. It reminds me of games like Wild 9 and the Deception series in that half the fun is just seeing how nasty your enemy's final moments will be.

If you're looking for something with a very early 90s Sega feeling, give this game a shot. There's actually DLC outfits for your character that reference a ton of Sega licenses too so lots of Sega fan service

EDIT: The one nitpick about the review I posted, it complains about lack of voices. There's actually a fair amount of voice samples throughout the game. We don't get every bit of dialogue fully voiced sure, but that's in keeping with the retro, Sega Genesis vibe.
Raz
16-bit

by Raz Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:13 am

1. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
2. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
3. Wild Guns: Reloaded (PS4)

This is a remake of Wild Guns, originally on the Super Nintendo. Its new features includes two additional characters to play as, 4 player co-op, two new stages, and graphical upgrades like more detailed sprites and special glow effects, among others. I never played the original Wild Guns on a SNES cartridge or through emulation like Virtual Console, so this my first time. It certainly lived up to all of the praise I have heard about Wild Guns, and I'll probably be replaying it over and over again for a week or two at the very least.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am

I really wish that Wild Guns Reloaded could be the start of a trend. I would LOVE to see some SNES games get the re-release/remake treatment
Kuruwin
64-bit

by Kuruwin Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:29 am

More SNES remakes would be nice but on a compilation disc. I don't know what the PSN price is but the disc version of Wild Guns costs almost 30 euros which outrageous.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:35 pm

@Juan - Good to know about Hell Yeah! - WOTDR. I got that in some bundle and never gave it a second thought. Might have to change that.
Return to General Gaming