Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:47 pm

I think I've always kind of liked the best of the 3D ones equally to the overhead games, even though Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time (along with Super Metroid...)

Unfortuantelly, I hated Phantom Hourglass and didn't bother with Spirit Tracks since it looked like more of the same. And I didn't think Minish Cap was that great. LA and the Capcom games were amazing but it sadly seems like those kind of Zelda's are over. So for me it's been a decade plus into this trend, the 3D games kept being awesome while the old 2D ones slipped up big time. Wind Waker is my least favorite of the 3D games, but I'd still easily take that over the newer handheld ones. I want to replay Minish Cap sometime, but yeah.

I know there's Link Between Worlds, but the aesthetics still turn me off a lot. Kind of like the New Mario line which Nintendo seems to love and keep going. Heck, even the new 3DS remake of Metroid 2 doesn't look that good visually to me. It's a picky and silly thing to complain about, maybe it's just me or I'm that extremely biased for pixel art, but yeah. I seriously wish all the new 2D styled Nintendo games looked completely different...

Anyways, I don't want to complain about finally getting some Metroid again haha, and I'm excited to finally get a 3DS probably sometime this year and can finally get to Link Between Worlds and the two remakes. Super excited.

Sorry you have a novel to catch up on AJ. But Zelda makes me talky. :lol: :roll:
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Link Between Worlds does look a bit cheap, which made me think, "Oh, there goes Nintendo with a cash grab." But it's a legit amazing entry in the series.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Sarge wrote:Link Between Worlds does look a bit cheap, which made me think, "Oh, there goes Nintendo with a cash grab." But it's a legit amazing entry in the series.

It's the best of the handheld entries IMO. I know most folks are going to say that's Link's Awakening, but I preferred Link Between Worlds.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Review 2 and 3 of 6 time!

Games Beaten:
1. 3D Power Drift 3DS
2. Maze Hunter 3-D 3DS
3. Hyrule Warriors Legends 3DS
4. Icarus Proudbottom's World of Typing Weekly PC
5. Paper Mario N64
6. Catherine PS3
7. Glover N64
8. Blast Corps N64
9. Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together! Switch eShop
10. Pullblox 3DS eShop
11. Pokémon Picross 3DS eShop
12. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
13. The Legend of the Mystical Ninja SNES
14. Alisia Dragoon Mega Drive
15. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Mega Drive
16. Dynamite Headdy Mega Drive
17. Runbow Wii U eShop
18. The Mystical Ninja starring Goemon N64
19. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 3DS
20. Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa 3DS
21. SteamWorld Dig 3DS eShop
22. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Switch
23. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped PS1 *NEW*
24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time GC *NEW*

Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped is a platformer for Playstation (as if you guys didn’t know), and was the first game I beat for this year’s summer game challenge.

The story goes that the evil mask counterpart to Crash’s buddy Aku-Aku has awoken. Uka-Uka, apparently, was behind the actions of Dr. Neo Cortx all along, and is angry that Cortex has failed him. So with the help of Dr. N.Tropy, they do something with time travel and attempt to do something with crystals or something, I don’t know. It’s not clearly explained in game and I found it hard to care, particularly because I find the cast of the Crash Bandicoot games to be genuinely awful. Dingo-dile? What the fuck is that, jesus.

Anyhow, being the third game in the Crash series, Naughty Dog clearly wanted to spice things up from the usual mix of ‘running into the screen’ 3D platforming and 2.5D style sections, and decided to throw in a bunch of alternate play modes. This isn’t unusual for the series, which featured run away from the boulder’ levels and ‘ride the pig at top speed’ levels een in it’s debut incarnation, as well as other gameplay gimmicks like jetpacks in Crash 2, but it’s dialled up to 11 here. More than half of the levels in the game actually don’t feature the standard platforming.

The new gameplay mechanics are a mixed bag. Underwater levels with weird submarine jetski things are OK for a water level, if unexciting and a bit irritating. The tiger riding stages (which are just like the pig stage in Crash 1) are fun. Stages where you ride a Jetski are OK, but nothing special, and the same goes from the weird dogfighting pilot stages. There’s a dinosaur you can ride in one level, though god knows why as it adds nothing, and there’s also stages where you run from charging dinosaurs which are OK, but the view of what obstacles are coming are too small. They’re all decent enough, but inferior to the normal platforming stages. There’s one other novelty stage though, and that’s the fucker.

On some stages, you can ride a motorbike as Crash Bandicoot. These were heavily featured in the games marketing back in the day. They’re also absolutely dire. The controls are shit, the hit detection is shit, and the stages require you to come first in a race to win. The difficulty of them is sky high compared to every other level, and the second one in particular took me over a dozen attempts to finally beat, and it wasn’t fun at all. Crash Team racing this is not.

The standard platforming levels were the highlight, as you might expect. The difficult can be a little high, but the game throws lives at you by the fistful, so you’re never in danger of getting a game over. Crash can run, jump and spin attack as usual, as well as crawl and slide, which weren’t in the original, but maybe they were in 2 (I’ve not played that one)? After each world you get an additional power up to make Crash even more capable. World 1 gives a body slam that lets you break steel crates, as well as take out groups of crates en masse. World 2 offers a double jump, which gives a little extra boost if yuu’re about to miss a ledge, but it cancels out your momentum a lot, so it’s not as great as you might hope. World 3 gives you the tornado spin, allowing you to glide by mashing the spin attack button mid-jump, which is very very useful. World 4 offers a fruit bazooka, which is ridiculously overpowered, allowing you to attack enemies at range and take out nitro boxes without dying. Lastly, world 5 gives you speed shoes, which I imagine are good for the games speed runs, but I didn’t bother with those.

The problem with Crash Bandicoot 3 is that all the novelty levels don’t work. They’re competent at best, and you quickly start wishing for normal platforming levels. The problem then is that, frankly, normal Crash Bandicoot platforming levels aren’t that great either. They’re decent, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t help feel that Crash got by on his attitude and the popularity of the Playstation, rather than by the games quality. There are dozens of better platformers from the same generation, and Crash just doesn’t stand out as being worth playing today compared to the alternatives.

Crash 3 was an OK game, I had an OK time with it. But it hasn’t evolved from Crash 1 in any meaningful ways, just filling it’s run time with shitty stage gimmicks that aren’t any fun. Crash 2 is often described as the best, but based on the previous game and the following game, I’m not sure I’ll bother. Crash Bandicoot died after PS1, and it’s often blamed on the new developers and publishers that put out the following games. Personally, I just don’t think the series had enough to offer to keep it sustained.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is an action platformer for PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, the latter of which is the system I played the game on. It was the second game I beat for my Summer Game Challenge list.

The Prince of Persia stars the titular unnamed protagonist, an incredibly unlikeable character, who ransacks an indian palace with his fathers army, steals their magic dagger, the sands of time, and then inadvertently fucks the world up by releasing the Sands of Time, turning his fathers army into weird sand zombies and cursing the world. That;s what he gets for listening to Viziers, everyone knows they’re evil!

The quest then follows the prince as he tries to stop the Vizier from doing something (kinda unclear, not sure his plan is ever properly explained) and Farah, the Indian king’s daughter who was taken as a slave, as they try to undo the damage caused. The Prince is saved by the dagger, and Farah by her necklace, so they’re the only 2 left alive other than the Grand Vizier who kinda caused the mess, but not really because the Prince did all the work. Good job breaking it, hero!

The game is split between 2 gameplay styles – platforming and combat, and is probably about equally weighted between both. One style is notably better than the other though!

The prince is very nimble, and is capable of running up or along walls, wall jumping, swinging from poles, climbing pillars and otherwise being a free-running badass. It’s all pretty easy to control, with A being the jump button, and R handling everything else – running up walls, swimming on poles and more. You’ll spend a lot of time platforming high above the ground, and falling is often fatal, even from heights you might expect to survive. Luckily, you can rewind time up to 10 seconds with your dagger, allowing you to get out of death if you cock it up. Sometimes it feels like this mechanic was added to alleviate the pressure of the mechanics though, as the Prince will not always do quite what you want, jumping onto the wrong thing, or more frequently running a long a wall instead of up it.

The combat is the other half of the game, and is much worse. B swings your sword, and Y stabs the dagger. Enemies have to be downed with the sword, then stabbed with the dagger to finish them off before they get back up. You can still rewind time to get out of a sticky spot, as well as stab people with the dagger to stun them for an instant kill with the sword, but uses of this are limited. You can also slow down time by quickly tapping L. Killing enemies with the dagger will recharge your sand tanks for using the abilities. If all your sand tanks are full, you can use them for a hyper mode which lets you rapidly defeat multiple enemies whilst freezing time.

Early on, vaulting over enemies with the jump button and slashing them in the back will be enough to kill them, but later enemies will block or counter this, and you’ll need to develop other tactics like bouncing off of walls to attack. Different enemies require differently tactics, but they often cluster up and theres no easy way to change targets so you might attack the wrong enemy and be countered. Fights also take way too long, with some having you kill 30 or so enemies before moving on. Yawn.

Prince of Persia is a decent game overall, and I enjoyed my time with it. The combat is lame, but the platforming is fun enough and the game isn’t too long that it overstays it’s welcome. I hear the sequels become more combat focused as well as early noughties ‘edgy’ so I’m not sure if I’ll play those, but this game works just fine as a standalone experience anyway. It’s worth a play.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I actually like the combat, it becomes almost like a beat-'em-up. I used to play the game every couple of years, and I've got a partially finished run on the remastered PS3 version I ought to polish off. It's one of my absolute favorites.

If you're going to try another one, there's The Forgotten Sands, which hews very closely to The Sands of Time on 360/PS3, and is a good but very safe experience. The Wii version, on the other hand, is it's own thing, and is absolutely splendid. I thought it was just a cut-rate version of the "bigger" versions, but it actually uses the Wii remote in interesting and useful ways.

Xeo, I know you finished Hard Corps earlier this year. How difficult did you find that compared to Contra III on Hard, if you've done that? I thought Contra III was significantly tougher than Hard Corps.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Sarge wrote:How difficult did you find that compared to Contra III on Hard, if you've done that? I thought Contra III was significantly tougher than Hard Corps.

Sarge, is there any actual human flesh or bone to you, or are you just a living mound of chest hair?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Sarge wrote:How difficult did you find that compared to Contra III on Hard, if you've done that? I thought Contra III was significantly tougher than Hard Corps.

Sarge, is there any actual human flesh or bone to you, or are you just a living mound of chest hair?

Haha, I won't count the number of deaths it took to beat Contra III on Hard... I wish I were as good as some of the folks I see at stuff like AGDQ. But I am trying to wipe out a lot of the super-tough games that I won't be able to finish once my reaction time goes away. 8)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Haha yikes. I still haven't played any Crash beyond the first one, but that makes 3 sound kind of awful to me. Platformers that throw in weird gimmicks like that can be so hit or miss. I'm really excited for the trilogy remaster though, so I'll probably get around to them. I'm a big fan of the first game at least, it's weird 2.5 style is pretty neat, especially for its time.

I've had Prince of Persia on the PS2 for awhile, I keep hesitating whenever I think about hitting it up though. lol, I'll give it a shot. I have zero interest in the second or third games in that trilogy though. I saw a bit of the second game at a friends and it looked terrible. Seemed like it was full on action without the platforming and unfairly hard.

Sarge wrote:Xeo, I know you finished Hard Corps earlier this year. How difficult did you find that compared to Contra III on Hard, if you've done that? I thought Contra III was significantly tougher than Hard Corps.

My emulation binge ended a little after Hard Corps took its toll on me haha. I dabbled into Contra III hard after that but I can't really say yet, didn't put too much into it since I was ready for a break.

I think like I said during that binge though, I beat Contra, Super C, Operation C, and Contra III all within a week... but Hard Corps ALONE took me a week, lol. That said I read your post when you beat it yourself and agree that Hard Corps is a bit more pattern based so with repetition it gets easier, where Contra III feels like it's a little more random in spots. The good weapons in Hard Corps felt a bit more powerful too, but in Contra III it's a bit harder to manage since you can only have two around and some weapons are better than others for certain situations.

Ultimately, I think yeah... Contra III on Hard is tougher than Hard Corps. I think I got to level 3 when I tried it out. The enemy bullet speed increase is insane and the first boss seemed like it was doing new stuff? I don't think Hard Corps had a difficulty level? You can't bump up the lives stock, but at least get 5 continues. In ways I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison, but yeah. Either way both games on any difficulty or whatever are a crazy challenge hehe.
Kuruwin
32-bit

by Kuruwin Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:My only complaint with mountains/climbing is that it rains every forty fucking seconds.

I haven't encoutered rain really too often but what's total bullshit that rain makes the surfaces slippery right away. It's not funny at all when you are about to reach a top and the rain starts and Link immediately slips and you fall down because you ran out of stamina.

There's a lot of other things i could bitch about the game and i might or might not write rant about the game if i finish it. It's seems like everytime i start to enjoy the game something spoils my fun with it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:16 am

Xeogred wrote:Personally I don't agree much on your negatives, but to each their own of course!

1 - I used a horse once. From the start I knew it was fruitless, so never bothered again. No issue for me. lol

That's kinda my point really. It was so clear it was a waste of time, it felt like a real missed opportunity.

2. Didn't mind the mountains honestly, despite most. I would just cook up a fire and sleep to pass the rain, or explore more to find new ways around the area. I like how alive the world felt, but I guess I'm in the minority here. It just never really seemed to be a huge issue. Though it took me awhile to realize if you don't move, your stamina doesn't drain while climbing. I thought it was a constant drain for the longest time.

The problem here is many mountainsides don't offer enough cover to make a fire without it going out.

3. I didn't mind this because exploring the world was more than rewarding itself for me. Seeing new areas and terrain was the real treasure.

I agree, for the first 50 hours or so. The novelty of seeing another new mountain started to wear down a bit after a while.

4. Agreed on this, although I liked the four Divine Beast dungeons, they aren't a good fill in for true dungeons. I think if this game, or perhaps the next, had these things with REAL dungeons on top of these and the shrines, it would have been mindblowingly perfect. I liked the gimmick of moving the dungeons around, even though it's been done already and in more complex form. How about those giant maze islands? Imagine if those were more intricately designed into like a real dungeon with tricks and traps, puzzles, etc. That would have been incredible.

Yeah. Zelda fans seem to divide between people who love the overworld stuff and people who love the dungeoning stuff. I'm of the latter camp, so whilst I appreciated all the effort that went into this overworld, I wish more had happened in the dungeons. Skyward Sword is one of my favourites in the series because it's basically all dungeon style gameplay.

Sarge wrote:I actually like the combat, it becomes almost like a beat-'em-up. I used to play the game every couple of years, and I've got a partially finished run on the remastered PS3 version I ought to polish off. It's one of my absolute favorites.

I think I would have liked the combat more if there was a better way to lock on to the enemies you want to fight, and enemies didn't constantly warp in behind you and knock you over or surround you. Quite often I'd get randomly surrounded by enemies I couldn't vault over whilst Farah got beaten to a pulp. The fight on the lift near the end was the worst part of the game.

Xeogred wrote:Haha yikes. I still haven't played any Crash beyond the first one, but that makes 3 sound kind of awful to me. Platformers that throw in weird gimmicks like that can be so hit or miss. I'm really excited for the trilogy remaster though, so I'll probably get around to them. I'm a big fan of the first game at least, it's weird 2.5 style is pretty neat, especially for its time.

I've had Prince of Persia on the PS2 for awhile, I keep hesitating whenever I think about hitting it up though. lol, I'll give it a shot. I have zero interest in the second or third games in that trilogy though. I saw a bit of the second game at a friends and it looked terrible. Seemed like it was full on action without the platforming and unfairly hard.

Crash 3 isn't bad or anything, but it's also not notably better than most of your bog standard PS1 platformers. I don't really think the series warrants it's reputation to be honest. I've only played a few worlds of the first Spyro, but as a platformer I think it outdoes everything the Crash series did in it's first 3 games. Frankly though, I've yet to find a PS1 3D platformer that rivals anything put out by Rare or Nintendo on N64, or even some of the slightly lesser platformers on the system. Some of the 2.5D stuff is good though, I adore Klonoa.

Yeah, Prince of Persia 2 and 3 look like they focus on the worst aspects of the first game with shitty butt-rock and nu-metal soundtracks, heaps of noughties edginess and girls wearing far less clothes than Farah was in 1, and considering she was going to be made into a harem girl, that's saying something.
Return to General Gaming