Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Ack Sun May 14, 2017 4:11 pm

And yet, pierrot, Hard Battle is the better of the two SNES Ranma fighters, the other of which was reskinned to not be a Ranma property. Street Combat is the name, and it is awful.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun May 14, 2017 4:19 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Contra 3 never lets up. It less often reaches the highs (In terms of spectacle) that HC does, but it never drudges into lows that HC too often does.

Really? I thought there were plenty of places where it let up: Stages 2 and 5, the first boss, the search bot boss that rains out bombs and enemies in stage 3, the highway boss on wheels in stage 4. The only parts of the game where I felt it didn't let up were with the boss at the end of stage 4, and the gauntlet at the end of the game. I hate most of those bosses at the end of the game, though. Two of them (the two that try to ram you) have some attacks that feel outright unfair. I wasn't going to mention this, but I don't think 3 plays perfectly. I had some trouble with aiming (thanks, SNES d-pad), not dropping from hand holds into bottomless pits, and some suspect hit/hurt boxes. I was getting fed up with it, with unlimited continues. By comparison, I don't even care that Hard Corps is one hit death, and has limited continues, because it feels fair to me.

Ack wrote:And yet, pierrot, Hard Battle is the better of the two SNES Ranma fighters, the other of which was reskinned to not be a Ranma property. Street Combat is the name, and it is awful.
Oh, yeah. I don't have the will power to play that. For some reason, though, when I had tested out Hard Battle, a number of years ago, I thought it was pretty good. I don't understand why I thought that. There is Chougi Ranbu Hen for the SFC, though. It's supposed to be highly decent, at least.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sun May 14, 2017 4:23 pm

I love Chougi Ranbu Hen. My avatar is from that game. Wish it'd been released in the US, and it almost was, but it was ultimately cancelled. If you're at all interested Pierrot, check it out. So much better than the first two it's kind of shocking.

Oh, and the Principal is in fact Japanese. He's just obsessed with Hawaii. :wink:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun May 14, 2017 4:34 pm

CFFJR wrote:If you're at all interested Pierrot, check it out. So much better than the first two it's kind of shocking.

I hope to, at some point. I've just never seen it for a price that I liked.

CFFJR wrote:Oh, and the Principal is in fact Japanese. He's just obsessed with Hawaii. :wink:
Interesting. His speech is a typical stereotype of Americans' Japanese. I was sure he was meant to be a counterpart to Shampoo.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 pm

pierrot wrote:Really? I thought there were plenty of places where it let up: Stages 2 and 5, the first boss, the search bot boss that rains out bombs and enemies in stage 3, the highway boss on wheels in stage 4. The only parts of the game where I felt it didn't let up were with the boss at the end of stage 4, and the gauntlet at the end of the game. I hate most of those bosses at the end of the game, though. Two of them (the two that try to ram you) have some attacks that feel outright unfair. I wasn't going to mention this, but I don't think 3 plays perfectly. I had some trouble with aiming (thanks, SNES d-pad), not dropping from hand holds into bottomless pits, and some suspect hit/hurt boxes. I was getting fed up with it, with unlimited continues. By comparison, I don't even care that Hard Corps is one hit death, and has limited continues, because it feels fair to me.

In Hard, both Stages 2 and 5 are excellent, since they expand the AI of the targets, and both bosses gain a slightly larger and varied moveset. Granted, I know some people just hate the overhead stages by design, but I think they are quite solid.

The Stage 1 boss (Hard) is epic, RNG-fueled, and about as good as a Stage 1 boss can be. He can easily trap you in a section of the screen. Its a quick fight if you are using C+C, but for a first boss, some attention is still required. I think its perfect.

The boss that drops bombs and spits out enemies is lame, for sure. Pretty much the only low point in Hard mode though.

I'll certainly disagree on any of the bosses being unfair. The 2nd boss in the boss rush (that rams you on the ground) is easily avoidable, since you can jump on his outstretched legs. The rain above is RNG, but I've never seen it be impossible to survive, just always tense. The boss after that (that rams you on the wall) is static, and you are able to position yourself to guarantee survival. Again, its not something you can relax during, but it is very far from unfair. Heck, even on Hard mode, experienced players can no-miss the game regularly.

I've never found a single issue with the controls, aiming, or hanging onto ledges either (Other than the Stage 3 boss that can grab you and throw you into the pit, but thats its intent anyways).

If we compare similar bosses to HC, it is far more static. Once you figure something out, you can practically sleep through it. Contra 3 has just enough RNG to keep even a seasoned player on their toes, and that goes a long way when playing these games for a decade or more.

Do we have a Contra thread somewhere? :lol: I feel bad clogging up this thread, but I can't dodge a convo about some of the best run ' gun gaming ever made.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun May 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Y'all can fight about Alien Wars and Hard Corps, but the NES games are still king in my book.

Also, if you want another similar to those, play Super Cyborg! It's awesome and, you guessed it, brutally difficult.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun May 14, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't think I really have the patience to get into hard mode, but--

dunpeal2064 wrote:I'll certainly disagree on any of the bosses being unfair. The 2nd boss in the boss rush (that rams you on the ground) is easily avoidable, since you can jump on his outstretched legs. The rain above is RNG, but I've never seen it be impossible to survive, just always tense. The boss after that (that rams you on the wall) is static, and you are able to position yourself to guarantee survival. Again, its not something you can relax during, but it is very far from unfair. Heck, even on Hard mode, experienced players can no-miss the game regularly.

I don't think Contra 3 is a game that can't be adjusted to, but I do think it requires significant adjustment. To clarify on the attacks I was talking about, though: I would regularly get some very bad patterns from the rain of spores, or whatever they were, that may not have been impossible to get out of, but were very tight. More so at times with the window to get out of the way of the line of bullets it shoots right after. It's not a difficult boss, on its own, though. I tend to agree with that. Same for the mechanical dragon, thing, but the whip that it occasionally does with its tail on the its first pattern is total BS, and I did not appreciate the hit box above its head when it rams the wall. It's a very shallow hit box below his head, though. So, yeah, they're not extremely difficult, but with a lot of the game, I felt there was just a little too much luck involved.

dunpeal2064 wrote:I feel bad clogging up this thread, but I can't dodge a convo about some of the best run ' gun gaming ever made.

I feel like general discussion is somewhat within the scope of this thread. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun May 14, 2017 5:12 pm

That's what I always thought the thread was for, someone beats something and it hopefully kicks off a pages-long discussion. Apparently we really love us some Contra, to varying degrees based on the entry. ;)

Also, the aforementioned Super Cyborg: http://store.steampowered.com/app/341550/Super_Cyborg/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Well guys, I will play Hard Corps soon and bring down the hammer of justice upon you all on my holy decision for the best one. :wink:

And that looks awesome Sarge. I wasn't too big on Oniken though, but I think Oniken was maybe going for a little more Ninja Gaiden or something. Speaking of, yes folks... I plan to give Ninja Gaiden NES another shot soon. I have admitted to not being a fan, but maybe the mood is perfect now. I'll check it out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun May 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Oniken wasn't that great, in my opinion. It tried to ape... something NES-related, but it never felt quite right to me. If you play anything by that dev, it needs to be Odallus.
Return to General Gaming