Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by PartridgeSenpai Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm

@Pierrot

I'm fairly impressed you stuck with Yakuza all the way to the end! I can generally never stick with games that don't gel with me, especially ones that are so dang long. I will say that Yakuza is a series that has gotten MUCH better as the games have gone on. Better gameplay, better diversions, and better characters. The first game is really rough around the edges both mechanically and narrative-wise, so it's cool that they threw it in the Yakuza 0 engine for a full remake recently.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri May 12, 2017 10:23 pm

So, are you burning through these without save states? If so, you've got some serious action-gaming chops taking them down that quickly.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri May 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Sarge wrote:So, are you burning through these without save states? If so, you've got some serious action-gaming chops taking them down that quickly.

Of course.

I wish I could have recorded my fight with the stage 7 boss in Super C. I was pulling out some Devil May Cry moves or something haha. I think he hit me once and I lost a good weapon, but managed to take him down after that with the normal gun dodging all that crap somehow. It was one of those... I'm not sure how I'm doing this moments... but I wasn't complaining. For some of the vertical bosses, I couldn't tell if jumping up while firing away made you get in a few more hits, but it seemed like it.

And for Contra 3, I see you guys around saying Hard is the real deal, but I'll run Normal for now. That said, more than 3 lives and whatever seems wrong. I'll stick to the Contra/Super C DNA and keep it at 3.

Game overed on stage 3 haha. I freaking hate those spinning windmill bars. Bit of a trap that can send you back down to your death.

Overall seems amazing. I have definitely dabbled into this series over the years, but it seems criminal that I somehow accidentally stepped over them growing up as a kid for the most part. I probably would have ate them up and I'd be getting through them in one life by now. :lol:

I actually think I might have beaten Hard Corps before, I recall playing that one a lot at a friends once.

I know exactly what I'm replaying after Contra. The series that not even anyone here on RB ever talks much about. Also checked out Mega Turrican and it seems like a religious experience for me. Can't wait to get through the whole thing, somehow never played much of that one.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Well done, then. I'm seriously impressed. I'm not sure how many hours it took me for a legit win at the original Contra, but I'm also a bit better than I used to be, too. And those skills translate directly over to Super C, which helps a ton.

My least favorite boss is the one that spawns the skulls and the little alien cells. I have no-deathed that with the pea shooter, and it is intense.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 pm

My fave is still Contra III on SNES.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Sarge wrote:Well done, then. I'm seriously impressed. I'm not sure how many hours it took me for a legit win at the original Contra, but I'm also a bit better than I used to be, too. And those skills translate directly over to Super C, which helps a ton.

My least favorite boss is the one that spawns the skulls and the little alien cells. I have no-deathed that with the pea shooter, and it is intense.

I edited my post, yeah I don't know how I beat that boss with the pea shooter. He hit me once but I somehow managed to stick to the middle firing away, while sometimes taking out the other crap and took him down. Was a miracle. I got through stage 6-8 tonight for the first time without a game over!

I guess it took me 3 nights on Contra this week. Maybe like 5-6 hours on that one, or maybe that's exaggerated. But yeah it was easy to jump into Super C after that.

I'd chalk some of it up as a testament to how good these games still are to this day though. Everything about the controls and whatnot felt like perfection.

And seriously though ... it hasn't been the Contra games making me rage this week, it's that damn Final Fight CD. :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 pm

After beating it on Hard, Contra III's not my fave...

And yes, I jacked up the number of lives. Which actually makes no difference, given that I can just farm them either at the start or the last stage, where I actually need them. :)

Xeo, that seems about right. Especially if you've played a lot of other action games. I wish I'd had those skills earlier in life, I could have impressed some folks. (Of course, I was playing lots of Mega Man, so I could definitely show off a bit there.)
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:@Pierrot

I'm fairly impressed you stuck with Yakuza all the way to the end! I can generally never stick with games that don't gel with me, especially ones that are so dang long. I will say that Yakuza is a series that has gotten MUCH better as the games have gone on. Better gameplay, better diversions, and better characters. The first game is really rough around the edges both mechanically and narrative-wise, so it's cool that they threw it in the Yakuza 0 engine for a full remake recently.

I tend not to give up on things. Sometimes to my own detriment. Yakuza's still a pretty good game, though. I can acknowledge that. it's just that I have some misgivings about it, as well.

The quality certainly seems to ratchet up with the later releases, but I'm still stuck on how little need there was for a sequel, in terms of the story. I feel like they should have just used some new character in the Oumi Rengou to build the story out with sequels. Eventually my curiosity will probably get the better of me though, since I own 2 and 3. It's just irksome to me.

Also, what the hell are Beat Takeshi, Oguri Shun, and Fujiwara Tatsuya doing in 6.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri May 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I grew up on Mega Man, so that might be the secret. I still think MM1 is brokenly hard though, but I didn't grow up with that one. The boss rush and moments like Elec Man being able to take you out in ~2 hit is completely crazy. But after that 2-6 are easy in my book, lol.

Like we were talking the other day, it remains to be seen what I'll think when I revisit Batman NES... sometime soon. I wonder if that one will break me, even though I definitely beat it a few times as a kid. :lol:

I looked up Return of Joker though and nothing about it looks familiar, so I'm kind of thinking I never played that one.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Well, that was interesting. Figured I'd use what I knew from Contra III and put it to use with a better end boss run (yes, I used a save state I had there to test). Managed to keep my death count significantly in all the attempts, mainly from better strategy on which forms to trigger. The worst I get is still the bubbles, but generally I'll hit either the brain one or the rocks. The rocks are actually pretty easy, you can scoot right up to the boss and duck down, and they won't touch you. A quirk of programming, I guess, but I'll take it!

It also included a perfect run, which was awesome. :) By the way, alternating two Crush weapons back and forth blows stuff up real fast. His last form didn't stand a chance. :D
Return to General Gaming