Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by marurun »

Flake wrote:Not sure what my next Mega-May title will be! Thinking of staying 8-bit and going for 9 and 10.

Did any of 1-6 stand out to you as a more fun game than the others?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would also highly recommend playing Rockman 7-FC, which is a "demake" of the SNES game. Good stuff there.
Flake

Post by Flake »

marurun wrote:
Flake wrote:Not sure what my next Mega-May title will be! Thinking of staying 8-bit and going for 9 and 10.

Well, I have played the classic Megaman series literally dozens of times but my opinion on the individual titles has evolved and changed a lot over time.

Traditionally, Megaman 3 has always been my favorite. There is just something great about it where it's still a blend of absolutely wacky enemies like in the first 2 Megaman games and the evolving mechanics that kept the series fresh.

I used to hate the first Megaman but for some reason it has begun clicking with me. I think that I've either begun to accept the game for its flaws so that I can enjoy the charm, music, and art design or that I just never understood it to begin with. I really like that they included a button specifically for the 'pause' cheat in the Legacy Collection.

Of the remaining games, I think that Megaman 4 will always have a spot in my heart. The Mega Buster didn't completely break the game at this point, the music still has a lot of the Megaman 3 era pop, and the increased emphasis on narrative was nice. Also, Megaman 4 was my first game in the series so I'll never forget it.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
5. Radical Dreamers (SNES)
6. Video Games 1 (TI-99/4A)
7. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (Famicom)
8. Exile (TurboGrafx CD)
9. Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (TurboGrafx CD)
10. Xak (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
11. Xak II (PC Engine CD, Xak I・II)
12. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
13. Captain Silver (Sega Master System)
14. Märchen Veil (Famicom Disk System)
15. Vanguard (Atari 2600)
16. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
17. Front Line (Atari 2600)
18. Mario Bros. (Atari 2600)
19. Harmonia (Steam)
20. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
21. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
22. Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes (TurboGrafx CD)
23. Gorf (Atari 2600)
24. Neutopia II (TurboGrafx-16)
25. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2, Taito Legends 2)
26. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
27. Blue's Journey (Wii Virtual Console)
28. Wizard Fire (Wii, Data East Arcade Classics)
29. Super Mario Run (Android)
30. Dragon Warrior II (NES)
31. Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (GOG.com)
32. Witch & Hero (Nintendo eShop)
33. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
34. Emerald Dragon (Super Famicom)
35. Sky Skipper (Atari 2600)
36. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
37. Cadash (TurboGrafx-16)
38. Cadash (Genesis)

"Arcade RPG." It sounds like an oxymoron, but there's been a handful over the years. Most notable are perhaps the RPG / beat 'em hybrids by Data East and Capcom. Cadash, originally released by Taito in '89, is not a proper beat 'em up, but rather an action-platformer with light RPG elements and a small semblance of non-linearity. Two ports followed. The PC Engine version was later localized by Working Designs and arrived on the TurboGrafx-16 in 1991. There's also a Genesis variant, published by Taito themselves. It's a North American exclusive, oddly enough. Unfortunately, I lack a copy of the PAL-only Xbox Taito Legends 2, which contains an emulated version of the arcade original.

I played the TG16 and Genesis ports back-to-back because that's how I roll. I'll dedicate most of this post to the TG16 game, as it was released first and is (in some ways) more loyal to its arcade origins. Then I'll touch in what was altered (like a beast) in Genesis Land.

Cadash allows for two players, and four playable characters are present. The mage and priest each come with their own arsenal of spells, but I wouldn't bother with 'em given how awkward the magic system is. That leaves the physical characters. The fighter is the tank. Big and tough with a short range attack. Meh. The ninja is the shining star, the god-tier hero of Cadash. He wields a projectile weapon, and despite starting off weak he becomes pretty burly after a bit of level-grinding.
The game consists of five "stages" total, though they're interconnected and you'll have to weave in and out of each one a few times. There are towns along the way, with inns and shops. Each character has his or her own specific weapons and armor to purchase, and appearance changes based on what's equipped. Using items is kinda weird. First, there's no status screen to even indicate what's in a character's possession. And items are used automatically when the proper situation arises. This is both a blessing and a curse. It's nice to instantaneously recover HP when it hits zero, but consuming an antidote as soon as poison sets in is something of a set-back: some rooms have multiple poisonous enemies and it would be preferable to simply use one antidote after escaping.

The graphical style is pretty unique. Everything has a sort of warm and soft feel to it, like it's glowing slightly. Some scenery is admittedly drab (like the first cave) while other areas are incredible. Towards the end of the game there's a sort of "death world" comprised of fire, graveyards, and floors and walls built from the bones of wannabe heroes. Awesome. Navigation is typically straightforward. There are branching paths here and there, but many simply double back and the "correct" route is almost always apparent. Music does it's job. Peppy, energetic, and inoffensive, but ultimately not very memorable.

There's a typical "save the princess!" narrative here; thankfully some more intriguing sub-plots present themselves along the way. One town must sacrifice a local to a kraken each year to remain at peace. When the hapless girl is rescued she reveals herself to be a mermaid, and begs of you not to reveal the big secret to her adoptive mother. There's a town full of dwarves adjacent to a forest maze, complete with houses that are too small to enter until the hero (pick the ninja!) discovers a way to shrink in size. A robber's hideout - and the pathway to Castle Cadash - can only be revealed once one (pick the ninja!) figures out how to communicate with dogs. These little vignettes are tremendously charming, and prevent the game from falling into "mindless" hack and slash territory. As mentioned, Working Designs is responsible for the translation here. The dialogue is straightforward and acceptable for the most part, with some occasional funny lines uttered by choice NPCs. Didn't really need a random Carl Sagan joke tossed into the mix though. Victor gonna Vic.

As this is an arcade port, a skilled platforming veteran may expect to just roll right through. Guess again. Even the ninja will fall victim to the giant "pudding" first boss without some amount of grinding. Thankfully, enemies spawn often and quickly so it's pretty easy to slaughter a bunch in tandem for some quick level-ups. Combat, and the overall controls really, are a bit stiff and deliberate, but it soon feels like second nature.

Trust me on this grinding bit. You don't wanna die. Because despite it's hefty length, Cadash offers up exactly one life and zero continues. It's a terrifying prospect, but inns are numerous, healing items are cheap, and there are a couple of semi-well-hidden elixirs to be found which restore HP completely when it reaches zero. For these reasons, the first stretch of the game is arguably the hardest, as no shops and inns have presented themselves yet, and while max HP is increased upon a level-up current HP does not rise.
Bosses are pretty impressive beasts. There isn't much strategy to most of these battles, however, as they're huge and avoiding their attacks is nigh impossible. I take the Ys approach. Level up a lot, then charge in swinging and hope for the best.

A first-time player who grinds and treads carefully (remember, only one life!) will find that Cadash takes a couple of hours to complete. It's just long enough to have me wishing for a periodic password, though it's unreasonable to expect such things out of an arcade port I suppose. Set aside a full evening for this one, it's a lot of fun.
Oh yeah, the Genesis port! It's quite different, actually. With no Working Designs involvement the dialogue is uniformly dry. The game has more of a "zoomed-in" viewpoint, with huge character sprites. Everything's dark, gritty, and has a more "Western" look overall. Dungeons seemed a tad easier to navigate, but that may just be my playthrough of the game on TG16 influencing me.

It's tough to determine which port is more difficult. On the Genesis there are continues available, as well as additional elixirs. But enemies pack a bigger punch overall and total inventory space is limited. There's an inventory screen, which surprisingly reveals how much experience one needs to level-up. This was sorely missing from the TG16.
However, the Genesis port takes a big hit in the character department. The priest and ninja are missing entirely, so I had to play as the fighter. Ouch.

Overall, I'd give the nod to the TG16 port. Mainly for its ninjaness. Not to say the Genesis port is markedly inferior. It isn't, and much like Exile and Ys III the game's entertaining enough to enter the "why not both?" category. The Genesis port is certainly cheaper, exponentially so.

There really isn't another game like Cadash. It's certainly an RPG. The combat isn't nuanced enough to consider it a beat 'em up. And the game's not non-linear enough to qualify for "Metroidvania" status. It's a true platformer / RPG hybrid, and in a class by itself. Highly recommended. One of the cutest gaming princesses to boot:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Bone, I have played the crap out of the TG version when I was a kid, and back in 2009 I played the arcade, Genesis, and TG-16 versions back to back. Your thoughts are very similar to mine. Your review is a lot more personal, and I like that. Mine was a little more view from 10,000 ft in some regards.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11067
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

marurun wrote:

I beat 6 yesterday on the Xbox one and find that I return to this one more than the others, even though 2 is my favorite. I just really dig jet megaman and power megaman. I find every playthrough I discover some new trick or pathway I hadn't noticed before. Like all the castle stages seem to have an alternate route halfway through them. That variety is the spice of a good game. Also the graphics and sounds are top notch, this is definitely capcom's swan song for the nes.

Just my two cents on the subject.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Even though I'm totally in a Genesis fever right now, I like the look of the PCE version there. Never a fan of when things get more zoomed in like you said with the Genesis version there. But the Genesis game still looks cool. Maybe I'll pop my PCE cherry with that.

For me Alcahest comes to mind when I think of arcade/RPG. :lol:

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)
34. Ghouls'n Ghosts (Genesis)

* replay

Yeah you guys were right, this one was doable. But I won't lie, I was lame and used some save states and didn't bother with the second "quest" or whatever you want to call it. I namely used save states a bit on the floating tongues part in level 3, and then the miniboss onslaught on the last level with the floating eyeballs and the zombie head on the stairs... good lord. But above all, FUCK THOSE TURTLES. The first half of level 2 pissed me off the most. Most of the bosses were a cake walk though. I can't find any good pics, but I really liked level 4.

Overall this was great and I think the NES game must be the one I've frequently tried to play and immediately hate. This on the other hand felt newer, so it's probably been forever since I played it and it was fun to knock out.

Super Ghouls is still one of my top favorites, lots of nostalgia talking. But I like how this game was totally different. Directional aiming was pretty cool.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I don't know why, but "Arcade RPG" makes me think of Magic Sword.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Nice post marurun. Never seen that thread before. 2009, that was before my time! Glad to see you appreciate the ninja. :lol:

Ack wrote:I don't know why, but "Arcade RPG" makes me think of Magic Sword.

I know there are some RPG elements to that game, but I honestly have a hard time remembering what exactly. The whole thing just feels like a sensory overload to me, tons of enemies and items popping up everywhere. I've finished the arcade version, once. Never made any headway into Black Tiger, however.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I consider the D&D beat 'em ups to be about as close to "Arcade RPG" as I've ever seen.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.