Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by strangenova »

DKC2 is superior in every way, just my vote
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Hello, I am that guy who thinks DKC3 is the best one.

Also, as far as version differences in Streets of Rage 2, I think they mainly just removed Blaze's panty shots when performing jump kicks and that's it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

alienjesus wrote:Hello, I am that guy who thinks DKC3 is the best one.

Also, as far as version differences in Streets of Rage 2, I think they mainly just removed Blaze's panty shots when performing jump kicks and that's it.

Yeah I know of that change, haha. I used her a bit, but I prefer Axel in SoR2.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Sarge wrote:Put me in the DKC is better camp, too.

Same.

alienjesus wrote:Hello, I am that guy who thinks DKC3 is the best one.

Get the fuck out.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 39

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (2 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6

39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6

I'd heard that Fire Emblem Gaiden changed up the standard Fire Emblem formula, so I was always a little unsure whenever I considered playing it. With the 3DS remake coming out in North American in two weeks, though, I knew that now was the time to power through. If I played the remake first, not only would I not appreciate the changes made in the remake as much, but I knew the original would feel clunky and archaic when I played it later. To get full enjoyment out of both games, I knew I needed to play the original release before the upcoming remake.

ImageImage

There are definitely a lot of things that Gaiden did that breaks from what now know as the "core" Fire Emblem formula, but it's not as drastically different as I had expected. I've seen it compared to Zelda II, and in some ways, I think that's fair; it's the second game in the series, so there wasn't an established "tradition" to continue or break, but because it's different from what later became the norm, it can feel quite alien to those playing it today. Gaiden did the whole "do it differently" thing much better than Zelda II, however. The only major differences are that weapons don't degrade, you have a map you can traverse at will (rather than straight linear battle progressions), and your game is split between two separate groups - Alm's group and Celica's group, each of which move on opposite sides of the map and interact only in indirect ways until the end.

ImageImage

The battles themselves work pretty much the way that they do in any Fire Emblem game. You move around a grid in turn based combat and try to kill the bad guys before they kill you. Weapons don't degrade, so there's one less thing to worry about, but because this is an early Fire Emblem game, there's no weapon triangle. I forgot about that when I first started playing and was horribly confused with an axe wielder crippled one of my sword users in an early battle. Otherwise, it's your standard Fire Emblem combat system. You get experience for kills, you stats go up when you level up, and one wrong move can fuck your entire team. One difference to note is that class ups work differently here. There are development "trees" that different classes use, and you class up not with an item or by surpassing a level cap but by visiting a shrine once you've attained a minimum level. From that level, you can either promote your unit or keep them at a lower class (though I have no idea why you'd ever want to do that). Enemies in shrines also respawn every time you leave, so they're great for grinding exp (a must in this game).

ImageImage

I do have one minor gripe with this game - I didn't find the characters or story as engaging as most Fire Emblem narratives. That's not to say that it was bad; it was very enjoyable. I'm normally absolutely engrossed in the lore and story of a Fire Emblem game, and here, I was only interested. I felt little burning urge to rush home to play immediately after work, and I've rarely lacked that for a Fire Emblem game. I certainly played once I did get home, and I enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't hook me hard and relentlessly like Mystery of the Emblem or Path of Radiance did. I'm hoping that spruced up cut scenes and some voice acting in Fire Emblem Echoes will make me more interested than the Famicom's mute text screens. That's not knocking text delivered narrative at all, but it's undeniably less immersive than animated cut scenes with voice acting.

ImageImage

Fire Emblem Gaiden isn't going to make my Top 5 Fire Emblem Games list or anything, but it's an extremely competent sequel to the original, and while it can be a little bit rough around the edges, it's absolutely still worth playing for fans of the series as well as fans of SRPGs in general. The characters, while not as captivating as other entries in the franchise, are interesting and likeable, and the story is deep enough. The combat is what really makes the game shine, though, and truthfully, that's as it should be. If you're into Fire Emblem or strategy games, definitely give this one a go next time you're in the mood for a challenge.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Workin' dem Fami RPGs.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Hmm the story on this remake will be a concern for me. I have found all the Fire Emblem stories pretty terrible with the exception of the Gamecube/Wii releases. So if this one is weaker than the usual, then I do not have high hopes.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah I know of that change, haha. I used her a bit, but I prefer Axel in SoR2.

Burn Knuckle! Burn Knuckle! Burn Knuckle! :lol:

(Axel is my choice, too, but I've also started using Max a lot. Dude is a beast.)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)

15. Syberia (XBOX)

I beat Syberia on the Microsoft XBOX this afternoon!

I never really got into the Adventure game genre when I was growing up. I wasn't that big of a PC gamer and my active mind really never had the time nor the patience for that type of genre. I had always been curious about them as I played Myst for a little while, but that was about it.

In my college days, I used to watch X-Play rather religiously and I remember them reviewing Syberia. They gave it rave reviews and the visuals really attracted me towards the game. However, I was really interested in the story as I have grown to love History the longer I am on this Earth. The idea of how old things still fit in the Modern World really resonated with me and I had to give this genre another shot.

Syberia is a really good Adventure game and just a nice pallet cleanser for myself. It was really nice to play a game with no enemies, no time limits, no action, a slower pace and very little puzzle work. The game is a little bit like an interactive movie as there aren't any of the famous Sierra inventory puzzles.

The story is very interesting as it deals with an old toy factory, automatons and the oncoming change of the modern world. It's not too emotional, but it does tug at your heart strings. It's elegant, subtle and quite beautiful.

For a little game, Syberia is just a nice game. It probably won't be one of my favorites at the end of the year, but it is definitely an enjoyable experience. If you love Adventure games or even want to try them out, Syberia is a wonderful place to start.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:
Xeogred wrote:Yeah I know of that change, haha. I used her a bit, but I prefer Axel in SoR2.

Burn Knuckle! Burn Knuckle! Burn Knuckle! :lol:

(Axel is my choice, too, but I've also started using Max a lot. Dude is a beast.)

Yeah I tried out Blaze for a second but wasn't liking her moveset much in 2. I always liked Max growing up though! One of the better bigger dudes alongside Haggar.

Have you ever played SoR Remake? You can eventually unlock a bunch of other side characters like Shiva, Mr X, some female ninja (forget if she was a boss in 3 somewhere), some others. They all play so authentically well too, it's incredible. It really is pretty much SoR4.