Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by pierrot Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 pm

alienjesus wrote:I don't know what the boss I struggled with is called in English since I've never reached him in the western version, but he's right before the final boss, and the japanese version of the level is called Funny Angry. You flip the floor and ceiling and he goes from green to red and tries to crush you against the wall.
Are you serious? That thing is just before the final boss? I always eat it there, on the Western release. It infuriates me so. I spend all that time getting the secret boss code, and collecting continues, only to have them drain away on that damn walker monster.

Xeo: The other reason you want need to play Dynamite Headdy is that the soundtrack is fantastic:

South Town
Dark Demon
I Love Goldie Hawn
Tonight's a Jazzy Night
Crosswalk of Love

I've not actually beaten any of the Shinobi games (although I've spent a fair amount of time playing Shinobi (SMS), Revenge of Shinobi, Shinobi III, and Shinobi (PS2)), but Shinobi III has to be one of the greatest games of that era. It's a treat of spectacle, with one of the best soundtracks ever, some completely bonkers levels, and magical gameplay. It's that game that's so perfect, most people are too shy to talk with it.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Nice, maybe I'll try Dynamite out again soon...

Shinobi III has the most nostalgic inducing OST of all time for me. Takes me back perfectly to everything going on when I was 5, the people, places, homes, Tennessee, etc. It's magical. That and Thunder Force IV are my favorite Genesis OST's by a few dozen miles.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 pm

I still don't get all the love that Revenge of the Shinobi gets, but Shinobi III is one of the best platformers of that era, no question.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:07 am

alienjesus wrote:Why only as a Dynamite Headdy machine when there's so many other Treasure games to enjoy? Plus, y'know, all the other cool games for the system?

I don't know what the boss I struggled with is called in English since I've never reached him in the western version, but he's right before the final boss, and the japanese version of the level is called Funny Angry. You flip the floor and ceiling and he goes from green to red and tries to crush you against the wall.

Ohhh, Funny Angry! He's Twin Freaks in English! People seem to have a REALLY hard time with him as well. He usually kills me at least once, but I've never found him too miserably hard. On that topic, it's kinda weird how the level names between English and Japanese rotate in cleverness. Like how I think only the Japanese version has the level called Stair Wars, and it also only has Terminate Her Too :lol:

Dynamite Headdy happens to be one of the very few games that I really like on Genesis that also isn't available on the PS2 or PS3 Genesis Collection games. DH is by far my most played Genesis game, but I own a couple more other than that as well. The Toejam & Earl games, Mega Bomberman, and Wiz & Liz. I also just don't like that many Genesis games. I don't think this is exactly the thread to get into the intimates of that topic though :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:36 am

pierrot wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I don't know what the boss I struggled with is called in English since I've never reached him in the western version, but he's right before the final boss, and the japanese version of the level is called Funny Angry. You flip the floor and ceiling and he goes from green to red and tries to crush you against the wall.
Are you serious? That thing is just before the final boss? I always eat it there, on the Western release. It infuriates me so. I spend all that time getting the secret boss code, and collecting continues, only to have them drain away on that damn walker monster.

Yeah, literally you beat him and the next stage is just a boss fight against the final boss, who is notably easier, although might take a few tries as you figure out his pattern (hint: you want the tiny head basically every chance you can get it).

Xeogred wrote:Nice, maybe I'll try Dynamite out again soon...

Shinobi III has the most nostalgic inducing OST of all time for me. Takes me back perfectly to everything going on when I was 5, the people, places, homes, Tennessee, etc. It's magical. That and Thunder Force IV are my favorite Genesis OST's by a few dozen miles.

I don't think any Mega Drive OST can beat out Streets of Rage 1 for me, as cliche as that is to say.

Sarge wrote:I still don't get all the love that Revenge of the Shinobi gets, but Shinobi III is one of the best platformers of that era, no question.

Whaaaa??? But Revenge of Shinobi is awesome too :o

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Ohhh, Funny Angry! He's Twin Freaks in English! People seem to have a REALLY hard time with him as well. He usually kills me at least once, but I've never found him too miserably hard. On that topic, it's kinda weird how the level names between English and Japanese rotate in cleverness. Like how I think only the Japanese version has the level called Stair Wars, and it also only has Terminate Her Too :lol:

Dynamite Headdy happens to be one of the very few games that I really like on Genesis that also isn't available on the PS2 or PS3 Genesis Collection games. DH is by far my most played Genesis game, but I own a couple more other than that as well. The Toejam & Earl games, Mega Bomberman, and Wiz & Liz. I also just don't like that many Genesis games. I don't think this is exactly the thread to get into the intimates of that topic though :lol:

He destroyed me over and over and over. 33 hits when he can kill you so easily is bad enough, but it also makes the fight drag out and it becomes super easy to take hits from his flying minions and spikes. I burned through 3 continues on that bugger.

Other great Mega Drive games you should play that I don't believe are on any of the collections:

Castle of Illusion
Chiki Chiki Boys
Gauntlet 4
Herzog Zwei
The Lion King
Marvel Land
Quackshot
Ranger X
Rocket Knight Adventures
World of Illusion
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am

That maze area at the end? That is the opposite of awesome. :(
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Yeah, I'll give you that one.

The other 17 or so levels though? Pretty great.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

How many Valis games you finished aj?
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, it's pretty solid up until that point. It's still not my favorite, but it's good up until then.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:45 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How many Valis games you finished aj?

I've finished 1, 2 and 3, all on PC Engine. I have 4, but I've not put in the time to beat it yet.
Return to General Gaming