Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:45 am

Flake wrote:At 24 hours I was getting weary of Front Mission 3. I finished it tonight...at 46 hours.

Now it's time to go back and do the whole other campaign, lasting you about the same amount of time! Nope. I couldn't do it either after beating FM3 the first time. "Someday."

Congrats on beating FM3 though. And please don't let the bloat and sluggish pacing of FM3 put you off the later games. FM4 and FM5 are leagues better. And also manage to be challenging as well. Especially FM5.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:27 am
Location: Northern Japan

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

Flake wrote:At 24 hours I was getting weary of Front Mission 3. I finished it tonight...at 46 hours.


SRPG's tend to fall into that category of "way too f-ing long" a LOT in my experience. I like Project X Zone quite a bit, but it was WAY too long at 60+ hours. That game really should've been like 40 hours max, especially considering the whole escapade finding the parts to that chick from Dot Hack were nothing but filler and took up like 10 freakin' missions.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
User avatar
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6770
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BogusMeatFactory Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Flake wrote:At 24 hours I was getting weary of Front Mission 3. I finished it tonight...at 46 hours.


SRPG's tend to fall into that category of "way too f-ing long" a LOT in my experience. I like Project X Zone quite a bit, but it was WAY too long at 60+ hours. That game really should've been like 40 hours max, especially considering the whole escapade finding the parts to that chick from Dot Hack were nothing but filler and took up like 10 freakin' missions.


That's one reason why I love shining force. Not a lot of filler. Things move at a fast pace and finish right when it should.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
User avatar
MrPopo
Moderator
 
Posts: 22637
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by MrPopo Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:47 am

Exhuminator wrote:Congrats on beating FM3 though. And please don't let the bloat and sluggish pacing of FM3 put you off the later games. FM4 and FM5 are leagues better. And also manage to be challenging as well. Especially FM5.

Indeed. No stacking Rapid Fire I six times in those games.
Image
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 7971
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Flake Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:25 am

MrPopo wrote:Indeed. No stacking Rapid Fire I six times in those games.


Stacking salvo is what I leaned on towards the end of the game. Just salvo and a lot of missile reloads. Stacking rapid fire was pretty funny, though. When the combo triggered it usually triggered for each instance.

But yeah, I am actually pretty proud to finish FM3. It was definitely WAY too easy but as this was my 4th attempt to play through the game in 14 years, it's nice to have this one off my backlog.

Also - am I the only one who thought it was messed up that you can target human pilots when they get knocked out of their mechs? I'd see an enemy get knocked out and if I still had actions left in my turn, I would unload on them. Firing missiles, anti-materiel rifles, cannons, and even driving massive spikes into them just so I could pawn their shitty robot. It felt like a war crime, a little.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
User avatar
Markies
128-bit
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Markies Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:54 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

14. Pikmin (GCN)

I beat Pikmin on the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon!

Back in the day, I used to play the original Warcraft, but that is how far I went into strategy games. Since most of them were on the PC and I was a console gamer, we just never met. I enjoyed Warcraft, but the entire aspect of inventory management and doing 100 things at once made my brain hurt.

Enter Pikmin. It takes the fundamentals of a Real Time Strategy games and trims them down into an enjoyable experience. Pikmin takes all the fun out of the RTS genre and doesn't busy itself with all the busy work. It is highly addictive to grow and build your Pikmin army. It is even more satisfying to have a plan work out and you are able to get that one part you are missing.

The game itself is quite beautiful. The colors are lush and vibrant while the music is soothing and addictive. It's a short game so it never grows stale on you and their is enough variety to keep you coming back for more.

Sometimes, the Pikmin have a mind of their own and the final boss is completely evil for all the wrong reasons, but the game is satisfying and enjoyable as a whole. I couldn't stop thinking of my Pikmin and what I wanted to do. An enjoyable and super addictive experience.
Image
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7223
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 pm

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)


February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) Gunforce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)

Gunforce isn't very good. I almost typed Funforce there, and that would be a lie. It's a Contra-like without any real difficulty, constant slowdown, and some pretty uninteresting weapons. You can commandeer vehicles, but why bother? Of course, the sequel would up the ante in arcades quite a bit, and would lead to Metal Slug, which is of course all kinds of great.

Also, from looking at the arcade version, it looks a bit better. Nothing amazing, but definitely better than what's here. I would blame this on IREM, but it looks like the port was done by Bits Studios. Looking at their catalog, it doesn't look like they did much in the way of good games...
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14375
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)

* replay

Image

This was awesome. I think I probably did beat this back in the day and played it from a friends Gameboy or something. The first level is fairly bizarre and not great, but after that it gets way cooler. Typical of the weirder obscure Mario's, it's kind of a shame Nintendo hasn't brought in some ideas from this game into others from what I've seen.

It was funny how some of the enemies looked like they were straight out of Metroid though.

Loved the music!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj7-st1KOW4

GB's sound is so much better than the GBA's.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Sarge wrote:Gunforce isn't very good. Also, from looking at the arcade version, it looks a bit better.

The original Gunforce is just "okay", even the arcade version. But dude, the arcade version of Gun Force II is awesome. If you've never played through it, I really think you'd like it. MAME runs it beautifully.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by alienjesus Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 pm

Markies wrote:1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

14. Pikmin (GCN)

I beat Pikmin on the Nintendo Gamecube this afternoon!

Back in the day, I used to play the original Warcraft, but that is how far I went into strategy games. Since most of them were on the PC and I was a console gamer, we just never met. I enjoyed Warcraft, but the entire aspect of inventory management and doing 100 things at once made my brain hurt.

Enter Pikmin. It takes the fundamentals of a Real Time Strategy games and trims them down into an enjoyable experience. Pikmin takes all the fun out of the RTS genre and doesn't busy itself with all the busy work. It is highly addictive to grow and build your Pikmin army. It is even more satisfying to have a plan work out and you are able to get that one part you are missing.

The game itself is quite beautiful. The colors are lush and vibrant while the music is soothing and addictive. It's a short game so it never grows stale on you and their is enough variety to keep you coming back for more.

Sometimes, the Pikmin have a mind of their own and the final boss is completely evil for all the wrong reasons, but the game is satisfying and enjoyable as a whole. I couldn't stop thinking of my Pikmin and what I wanted to do. An enjoyable and super addictive experience.



I love Pikmin 1 so much - everything about it just feels so right to me. 2 is good, but to me it feels like it takes things in the wrong direction. Luckily it seems Nintendo agreed, because 3 is much more similar to the first game.
Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest