Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Sarge, did you have online enabled? That makes a huge difference in your experience. I give Journey huge praise and the people i have sat down ans forces to play all came out of it with a similar reaction. From what I read of your reaction, you spent a lot of time looking at it as a game and trying to identify and quantify its mechanics and that is the problem when it comes to enjoying it. Some games are just about the ride and when you start to focus so much on camera, walls and gameplay it is easy to lose sight of what the game was trying to achieve.

Again, I don't think you are wrong for your opinion. Everyone experiences things differently. I personally just enjoyed it immensely.

@stark I have actually come across players on the ps3 to this day. People are regularly playing it which blows my mind.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 pm

I ran into one player. I have no real desire to share my experience with someone else online, honestly, but it was there, and I didn't find it any more enjoyable with or without their presence.

I think the real problem is that the sense of adventure has been outdone by a lot of games since then. It might actually be one of those, "You had to be there!" games. Dunno. But I've played other stuff that's mostly atmospheric, light gameplay stuff and enjoyed it, but this one just didn't work for me.

Honestly, I think my thoughts on the game coincide with the single negative review of the game on Metacritic, and particularly this part:

It’s sort of like Shadow of the Colossus without any colossi, or Ico without the little girl.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Sarge wrote:I ran into one player. I have no real desire to share my experience with someone else online, honestly, but it was there, and I didn't find it any more enjoyable with or without their presence.

I think the real problem is that the sense of adventure has been outdone by a lot of games since then. It might actually be one of those, "You had to be there!" games. Dunno. But I've played other stuff that's mostly atmospheric, light gameplay stuff and enjoyed it, but this one just didn't work for me.

Honestly, I think my thoughts on the game coincide with the single negative review of the game on Metacritic, and particularly this part:

It’s sort of like Shadow of the Colossus without any colossi, or Ico without the little girl.

And that's okay to have that perspective. It didn't click with you. I would also say that playing without that other person drops the experience dramatically. It just is a lot of fun to share the experience with a player who you can't directly communicate with.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)

* replay

Rick, the hamster, is not really your friend. He will get you killed.

This was awesome. Maybe even a little harder than Adventure, albeit that's not saying a lot but Kirby is just simple fun times. I just thought there were some evil traps in some of the later worlds with spikes or panning stages. The Sun and Moon boss was pretty tricky here too. The three animal friends were a neat feature and even changed up the music in a Yoshi kind of way. The bird was the best by far, especially with the soldier boomerang power up that let the bird shoot a spread shot of three feathers. Amazing music and graphics, Kirby can't do the slide attack but otherwise this impressively looks almost on par with Adventure.

"The end?" I got 76% but I'll probably consider it done. The King Dededede fight did end a bit abruptly so I assume there's a true final fight or something if you collect all those special items per world. Overall ran about 2 hours long so it's definitely beefier than the first Dream Land.

Maybe I'll jump to Dream Land 3 next, though I've had trouble getting into that one in the past because of the weird fuzzy art style. It would be fine on its own, but in comparison I vastly prefer how Kirby Super Star looks and plays. Hmm, I'll give it another shot.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm

It's been a long time since I played through KDL2, but it's definitely close to the same level as KA. Good choice of game to play. :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 am

I think it's funny how Xeogred asked for new GB/C platformer recommendations, and after getting plenty, he then chose to simply replay ones he'd already beaten before. :lol:

Dream Land 3 is fantastic. Sorely underrated IMO.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 am

Xeogred wrote:"The end?" I got 76% but I'll probably consider it done. The King Dededede fight did end a bit abruptly so I assume there's a true final fight or something if you collect all those special items per world. Overall ran about 2 hours long so it's definitely beefier than the first Dream Land.

Maybe I'll jump to Dream Land 3 next, though I've had trouble getting into that one in the past because of the weird fuzzy art style. It would be fine on its own, but in comparison I vastly prefer how Kirby Super Star looks and plays. Hmm, I'll give it another shot.

There is indeed a true fight if you find all 7 rainbow drops or whatever they are in this one.

You might find Dream Land 3 a bit easier to get into when you're coming at it as a sequel to 1 and 2 - the more limited gameplay can feel off compared to Superstar, but looked at after the Game Boy ones it's just a prettier version of what they did with way more content.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 am

Exhuminator wrote:I think it's funny how Xeogred asked for new GB/C platformer recommendations, and after getting plenty, he then chose to simply replay ones he'd already beaten before. :lol:

Dream Land 3 is fantastic. Sorely underrated IMO.

I have never played the Dream Land's before. :?:

alienjesus gave me a list of recommended Kirby games to check out in the vein of Adventure, before I got the GB/C recs. Kirby seemed like a good gateway to check out more.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 am

Xeogred wrote:I have never played the Dream Land's before.

Okay I simply misunderstood your posts then. Disregard I'm retarded. :o

The Dream Land games are all great choices. Trip World is sort of similar in that it has really nice music and cute graphics, and is also very easy as Kirby games tend to be. If you haven't played through Gargoyle's Quest 1 & 2 on GB yet, I truly think you'd enjoy those.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

Operation C is also incredibly solid, if you are the mood for something with a little more shooting.
Return to General Gaming