Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)

Holy hand grenades, Batman, Gekido Advance is unforgiving! So I estimate about three hours, but that's if you've had a little practice and get the dice to roll your way correctly.

So, for those that haven't played it, it's an old-school beat-em-up with some really nice spritework and music, although a ton of those assets get re-used throughout the game. First, the good is that the combat is fast and fluid, with various combos you can unleash by varying your punch and kick buttons. I recommend keeping it to a five hit combo, starting with the punch, going to the kick, and then back to the punch. This will keep you from being too vulnerable, while still letting you hit with the very powerful flaming uppercut.

Keeping enemies off your back is important. This isn't a game where they'll just sit back and let you pound an enemy, oh no. They're more than happy to sneak in, and sneak in fast. Also of consequence is that you have a lot of vertical range compared to a lot of other belt-scrollers, but this goes for enemies as well. You're going to get popped, a lot. You do have a special clear-out move that is very effective, and it works on a charge basis much like Streets of Rage 3. You also get some standard jumping attacks.

Speaking of jumping, there's a bit more platforming in this than you'd expect. In fact, the game cribs some of the worst parts of Double Dragon, with the spike traps that fall from the ceiling being the most egregious. They are the definition of cheapness, with almost no warning given. Some aren't even on a timer, it's proximity, and they're triggered very, very close. Close enough that you're probably going to take the hit if you don't already know about it.

Also, there are a lot of little annoying enemies, mostly bats. It's not so bad when they're alone, but it will get annoying when other enemies are around. And the dogs that you can't actually kill that run across the screen at times... blah.

To go with the platforming and such, there are some mild adventure elements, in the form of branching paths, mainly to find keys to backtrack to another area and go through there. It never gets too complex, but it can be easy to get lost.

Anyway, this is one that I've always wanted to play through. I enjoyed the PlayStation game back in the day, and this is a bit smoother than that. It's got a pretty rad art style, and if things weren't quite so cheap, it wouldn't be so bad. As it is, it's a solid but very challenging beat-em-up.

(Oh, and thankfully, there are passwords, but those also save the number of continues you have left.)
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Previously beaten games:
1/15: Aviary Attorney (Steam)
1/16: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star (Steam)
1/27: Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
1/31: Harmonia (Steam)
2/21: Yakuza 0 (PS4)
2/28: Cooking Mama: Cook Off (Wii)
*NEW*
3/17: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3/22: Kirby Super Star (SNES)
4/6: Nier Automata (PS4)

Total: 9 games

I'm not good at posting in a timely manner haha. Oh well, better late than never :P

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I’m going to try to keep this review short, as many others have already talked in great detail about this game (and way better than I ever could), but I’ll go over quickly what I liked and didn’t like. I’m going to be really brief so sorry if I skip over a lot of things.

Awesome!
- Graphics! I especially love how it looks whenever I was near the ocean
- Soundtrack isn’t always present, but a lot of what did play was nice to listen to (minus the Goron music)
- All of the tools you earn at the beginning of the game are useful in a variety of situations, instead of getting them each only being useful in one scenario (like with a lot of other Zelda games)
- The shorter, mini dungeons (shrines) made all the puzzle bits less frustrating for me as they are much more spread out and I could do them when I felt like it, instead of doing a ton of puzzle bits in one go like in other Zelda games
- Limited hand holding and no constant pestering! (no Navi or Fi equivalent)
- Zelda is more interesting if you take the time to find the memories
- Fun to just randomly explore around

Meh
- There’s a few interesting characters, but they all have limited screen time
- Plot is a bit minimal and ho hum, but I don’t mind too much since that’s not really what I play a Zelda game for
- Ganon is kind of just there and the final battle isn’t particularly interesting to me
- Low weapon durability is a bit annoying as you often have to cycle through what weapon you’re using a LOT. I’m less bothered by it then many other people though.

Blargh
- Required stealth section grump grump (luckily it’s short)
- Larger dungeon puzzles were a bit difficult for me to figure out a few times
- Voice acting is mostly not that great. It’s not completely awful either, but I wish we had a Japanese voice option.

Overall, while the game does have a few things that I don’t like, it was a blast for nearly the entirety of the game. I can definitely say that it’s my favourite Zelda game so far, and I can’t wait to try out the future DLC and whatever the next Zelda game will be.

Kirby’s Super Star
I have very little experience with the Kirby series, with Epic Yarn being the only other Kirby game that I’ve beaten, so I wasn’t really sure how much I would enjoy Kirby’s Super Star. While I did enjoy a few things about Super Star, unfortunately there were a few major issues that I had with the game that greatly impacted my enjoyment of the game.

The game is divided up into several main modes and few mini-games, with the main modes being Spring Breeze, Dyna Blade, Gourmet Race, The Great Cave Offensive, Revenge of Meta Knight, Milky Way Wishes, and The Arena. I didn’t try out the mini-games or The Arena, so I’ll only be talking about the other ones (which I believe are all required to reach the end of the game).

I started out with Spring Breeze, which is a short remake of Kirby’s Dream Land, and I had a blast. It’s bright and cheery, Kirby was fun to control, and I liked using the various abilities that Kirby could steal from his enemies. However, this mode was very short. In the next mode, Dyna Blade, I also had a lot of fun. It was a lot like Spring Breeze, but I believe it’s all original levels. Gourmet Race was where things started to go downhill a bit, however. This mode was a set of three races, where you had to eat as much food as you can and get to the finish line faster than King Dedede. I was fine with the first race, and was able to win that one with a little bit of trouble, but the other two races were impossible for me to win. Maybe I was just not quite used to the controls yet, but King Dedede always seemed to far ahead of me. Luckily I didn’t have to go back to win the other two races (so this mode may have not been a requirement to beat the game, but I’m not sure), so at least it wasn’t too annoying in the end.

After Gourmet Race was The Great Cave Offensive, which was the most frustrating mode and nearly made me quit playing the game altogether. In this mode, you need to travel around this very large map, collecting treasures. At first I didn’t think it was too bad, as felt similar to Dyna Blade or Spring Breeze except the level was larger and I had treasures to collect. However, it just kept going on and on and on and on and ON! It took me way too long to finish the mode, even when I was actively looking for the exit. It didn’t help that it was confusing to navigate and it was more difficult than the other previous modes. When I finally did finish it (with a lot of help from various Youtube videos), I didn’t feel very accomplished at all. Just very, very grumpy. If this mode had been optional, then I wouldn’t have minded so much, as I would have just quit and moved onto the other modes. However, that wasn’t the case and I think my frustration of this mode made the other modes less enjoyable than they would have been otherwise.

Once I finally moved onto Revenge of Meta Knight, I started to enjoy the game a little more, but my frustration still carried over a bit. This mode is fairly similar to the normal Kirby modes, but instead the levels are all timed. I didn’t mind the timed aspect so much, but some of the levels had some pretty annoying auto scroll sections that I didn’t really appreciate. Thankfully the final mode, Milky Way Wishes, was much more enjoyable (for the most part anyway). In this mode, instead of being able to absorb the enemy’s abilities, you need to find them throughout the map. Once you find an ability, you can use that ability whenever you would like. While I do like sucking in enemies, I also found this part of the mode to be fun as I liked switching to whatever ability I had whenever I liked. Once you do all the normal levels in this mode, you move onto a SHMUP section and the final boss. The SHMUP section was alright I think, but it was a bit difficult for me to tell if certain walls were solid or in the background, so I died a number of times just from running into things which I thought that I could go through. Once I got to the final boss I didn’t have much trouble though.

So overall, did I like Kirby’s Super Star? I think I somewhat enjoyed it, but that Great Cave Offensive really put a damper on my enjoyment of the whole game. If I could take out that mode (and possible Gourmet Race as well), this game would be a LOT more fun for me. However, despite my not liking of a big portion of the game, I think I would some of the other games in the Kirby series a lot more, assuming they have the more standard Kirby levels. I’ll have to try out some of the others in the future at the very least.

Nier Automata
I beat the original Nier late last year (it was actually the final game I beat in 2016), and I really enjoyed my time with it. Because of that, I was really looking forward to Automata. But, is it as good as the original?

Automata stars two androids, 2B and 9S, who’s job is to help the humans who fled Earth to escape aliens. All of the humans are on the moon, and the only things left on Earth are animals, androids, and robots (which the aliens made). You find out that many of the robots have started showing signs of having human emotions, and the game asks a lot of “What does it mean to be human?” and that sort of thing. I don’t really want to talk any more about the plot since for one, it gets REALLY complicated and weird (especially right near the end), and also I think the plot is probably one of the main reasons to play the game. It does take a little way for it to get interesting, but I think I enjoyed it overall. I say I think because I keep on comparing it to the original Nier, and I don’t think Automata’s is as good as it. The original felt a little easier to understand for me, but more importantly, Automata’s characters aren’t as interesting. 2B doesn’t show a lot of emotion unless someone is injured or shit hits the fan, and 9S is annoying. He likes to talk a lot and near the end I felt that his reasoning to do things were dumb. So I enjoyed many of the plot points, but more interesting characters would have made it much better.

Ok so what about the gameplay? One of the main complaints that I’ve heard about the original is that the combat is clunky, so has that been improved? Well, while I honestly had no problems with Nier’s combat, Automata does make it a lot more fast and flashy, which I think a of people would enjoy more. You attack super quick, dodge super quick, and shoot bullets from your companion pod super quick. It’s all… super quick. Outside of the normal slashy, slash combat, one of the things 9S can do, is hack the enemies to deal damage. He isn’t very good at regularly attacking enemies, so it’s the main way to deal damage to most baddies. To hack an enemy, you need to target an enemy and then do a simple mini-game where you destroy all of the enemy cubes, twin-stick shooter style. It’s fun for a little while, but because he’s bad at attacking enemies the normal way, I ended up having to do this WAY too often. Maybe I was missing a feature or something, but I got really tired of doing it after a while. It especially didn’t help that other sections of the game have you pilot a mech and shoot baddies like a SHMUP or twin-stick shooter (it switches between the two). While these mech sections do look different than the hacking mini-games, they don’t really play that much differently. These mech sections happen VERY frequently too. It’s almost felt like half the dang game was an action RPG, and the other half was a SHMUP! I’m fine with playing SHMUPs, but I prefer playing them in short bursts.

Another problem that I had with the game was with the level progression. During the first section of the game, I killed off enemies when I felt like it and didn’t really think about grinding at all. The enemies were all similar levels to me and I was quickly defeating nearly everything so why should I bother? However, at one point the game decided to throw a bunch of incredibly overpowered enemies at my face. The enemies were all around 15 to 20 levels higher than me and even the weakest enemy was taking forever to kill. There was no option to grind anywhere else, so my only option was to spend an eternity trying to deal damage to the enemies and not die. It did not help at all that I had to play as 9S for a good portion of this section and sometimes the enemies would disable his hacking ability which made it even more difficult. Even when I did manage to get though this section, it took me a LONG time to get to a similar level to the enemies. I’m not sure if this level spike was intentional or not, but it was certainly not appreciated.

Overall, I can’t really say that I liked Nier Automata anywhere near as much as Nier. I do appreciate that it tries to be more inviting to more people with the combat, but all the SHMUP sections and the difficulty spike didn’t really do itself any favours for me. Plus the story and characters didn’t pull me into the game like Nier had. So while I personally think that Automata was only alright, I think that other people would probably enjoy it a lot more than I did.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Aw, The Great Cave Offensive is my favorite mode in Kirby Super Star. (It is pretty long, however.)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Great write up on Breath of the Wild laurenhiya21. I agree with most of your points there.

Kirby Super Star is a weird one. I used to love it, but not so much thesedays. I still think it's awesome in spots, but it's such a strange assortment of various games within a game trying to do a little too much and not fully excelling in any specific area. I actually like The Great Cave Offensive portion a lot myself though, but then... that itself isn't a full game. It's just so weird.

Kirby is just a weird franchise in general to me. Kirby's Adventure has always been one of my top favorite NES games, but at this rate with how many other releases of them I haven't played and how experimental Nintendo gets with them by the game, I don't think I'm that interested in playing more of them. Maybe Kirby 64 someday since I think I hear that one was cool. I think Kirby & the Amazing Mirror was the last one I played and I actually kind of hated that one, didn't finish it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Xeogred wrote:Kirby is just a weird franchise in general to me. Kirby's Adventure has always been one of my top favorite NES games, but at this rate with how many other releases of them I haven't played and how experimental Nintendo gets with them by the game, I don't think I'm that interested in playing more of them. Maybe Kirby 64 someday since I think I hear that one was cool. I think Kirby & the Amazing Mirror was the last one I played and I actually kind of hated that one, didn't finish it.

If you liked Kirby's Adventure, you'll probably like all of these as they basically play the same way:

Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby: Planet Robobot

Kirby 64 is similar, but slower paced and I don't think you're guaranteed to enjoy it. Anything else I didn't list plays a bit differently.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I guess I went in the wrong direction with Kirby. :roll: :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Just finished Vanquish. Will post thoughts later, but here are my final stats. I don't think I did too awful considering I don't play first/third-person shooters that often.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Just finished Vanquish. Will post thoughts later, but here are my final stats. I don't think I did too awful considering I don't play first/third-person shooters that often.

Interesting, my overall time was 7h 28m on normal difficulty, but I did grind time on the optional Tactical Challenges. Awesome that you finished it man. If you're interested, here was my review for it from July 2015:
Russian terrorists have seized a space station's orbital laser and are using it to threaten the USA, so DARPA sends their best agent in an experimental battlesuit to stop them.

At its heart, Vanquish is a third person cover shooter, a rather prolific genre during this game's release era. However, Vanquish operates at such a fast pace and with such slick responsive controls, that it makes all of its other contemporary cover shooters seem to run in slow motion. Vanquish is chock full of furious insane action, barely ever slowing down to catch its breath. The player has the ability to take cover, use bullet time, launch melee attacks, shoot all sorts of guns, and best of all rocket slide all over the battlefield. Indeed this ultra fast rocket sliding is what makes Vanquish feel so frenetic.

The crazy action is further bolstered by excellent graphics, amazing backgrounds, and detailed character animation, all running at a consistent 30FPS. The soundtrack is made up of high energy electronica, intense sound effects, and convincing voice acting (especially the legendary Gideon Emery's work). The plot is enjoyable and simple but contains a nice twist and a great ending. From an audio, visual, story, and control perspective Vanquish is certainly top notch. This is a very well directed game by none other than Shinji Mikami.

I have very few complaints about Vanquish. I do wish it supported blind fire, a cover shooting mechanic that I believe should be integral to the genre. There are only a few boss type enemies in this game, and they get recycled a little too often. Vanquish seems to flagrantly support smoking cigarettes as a nice thing to do, which I do not agree with. I wish that as you made Sam backflip around the battlefield, he'd automatically backflip over a barrier, but instead you have to push a different button to do this, and that incongruity tripped me up more than once. That's about it for complaints.

If you at all enjoy third person shooters, or cover shooters, you absolutely must play this. If you enjoy action games, especially fast paced ones, this experience will blow you away. It's a tour de force of awesome game design with a fantastic sense of style and pure consistent atmosphere. If you are a fan of science fiction, cold war politics, or robot armies, this game has you covered. Vanquish any doubt in your mind that this game is anything less than amazing. 9/10
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think I beat it in like 5 something hours, lol.

Best ending ever.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'd love a Vanquish sequel.

My old .02 too: viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=44&t=27393&p=419903&hilit=vanquish#p419903

Jesus, that was six years ago.