Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:56 am

Exhuminator wrote:I distinctly remember borrowing this game from a friend on a Friday in 1989. I played it over the weekend, not getting far into it, hating it, and gladly returning Kid Icarus the following Monday.

This is where I'm at.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The Gameboy sequel is a lot more forgiving; so, you may want to try it out sometime too.

I started playing it last night, and so far it is indeed more fair. For one thing enemies actually drop life restoratives once in a while. That aspect in and of itself is a huge boon.
alienjesus wrote:I adore the 3DS game though, but it seems very hit and miss for people, especially based on the controls.

I plan to find out soon, or rather once I finish the GB game. I figure I might as well finish off the trilogy.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:This is where I'm at.

Totally understandable.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:41 am

Having beaten both the NES and Game Boy versions, yeah, the Game Boy one is considerably more forgiving. I hope you enjoy it. I did when I played it..oh back in 2005 or so.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

Ack wrote:Having beaten both the NES and Game Boy versions, yeah, the Game Boy one is considerably more forgiving. I hope you enjoy it. I did when I played it..oh back in 2005 or so.

ACK plays platformers?! :shock:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:39 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Having beaten both the NES and Game Boy versions, yeah, the Game Boy one is considerably more forgiving. I hope you enjoy it. I did when I played it..oh back in 2005 or so.

ACK plays platformers?! :shock:

It's more likely than you might think.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:41 am

Every now and again, yeah, I'll play a platformer. Just because I don't like a genre doesn't mean I won't go back and give it a chance from time to time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 am

I also plan to play the 3DS version this year so that I can finish up the trilogy. I don't foresee Nintendo making another one for a while, and I would like to have the series under my belt.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 am

If anyone is up for some matches of the multiplayer when they do play it, let me know. I remember it being a lot of fun back when.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 am

Once you're past the first world, Kid Icarus actually becomes really, really easy. I didn't have much trouble with the 3D version, and that one even adds some nice features to alleviate some issues in the original release.

I definitely understand the criticisms of the game, though. I think it's more 7/10 territory, and it's not a patch on Metroid, another game that I feel is pretty rough around the edges. It makes up for it in sheer scale and ambition. Interestingly, Metroid came out first, so... hmm. Still R&D1, but I guess that's what happens when you have TOSE in place of Intelligent Systems. ;)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Sarge wrote:Once you're past the first world, Kid Icarus actually becomes really, really easy.

It definitely gets easier once your life bar starts to increase and you get bow power-ups. But those dungeon-maze levels stayed consistently irritating all the way to the end. The last stage however was the easiest in the whole game, culminating in a joke of a boss battle. Weird. The balancing is... strange. The first stage is probably the hardest in the whole shebang. :lol:
Sarge wrote:and that one even adds some nice features to alleviate some issues in the original release

Hmm, really? What's different? I thought only the aesthetics were improved.
Sarge wrote:I guess that's what happens when you have TOSE in place of Intelligent Systems.

I strongly suspect TOSE is what went wrong with Kid Icarus. Although, the Game Boy sequel was also co-developed by TOSE. So if it doesn't stink, I'm going to have to assume Toru Osawa < Masafumi Sakashita.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming