Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by marurun Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:11 pm

In Bone's defense, the original Blaster Master does have some bizarre design aspects that could be considered major flaws, like your weapons powering down every hit. Those overhead levels just weren't that fun. And I didn't care for the bosses, either.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:20 pm

marurun wrote:In Bone's defense, the original Blaster Master does have some bizarre design aspects that could be considered major flaws, like your weapons powering down every hit. Those overhead levels just weren't that fun. And I didn't care for the bosses, either.

Those are fair criticisms. That being said...

- Weapons powering down: Mostly fixed.
- Overhead levels not fun: Fixed.
- Bosses: Fixed.

And I'll add one:

- Saving: FIXED.

:)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:27 pm

I am looking forward to someday playing the new Blaster Master.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I tell you, I definitely agree the overhead bits were pretty weak in the original. I mean, for all its flaws, I thought Fester's Quest was far superior in that regard.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Fester's Quest is a whole other can of worms. Redeemable with some hacking, though, I suspect.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Original Blaster Master has some terribly designed stages with awful combat. It just isn't fun. Wish it had used the bump system.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:05 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Wish it had used the bump system.

:lol:
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm

I mentally insert that to the end of every comment Bone makes on a video game.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:12 pm

The complete lack of a save or password feature, coupled with extremely limited continues is my primary complaint with Blaster Master. Considering its age, the game is relatively well-designed; it controls well; and it still looks and sounds good. Some of the later bosses are insanely difficult without fully-powered weapons, however, and having to beat it in one sitting is just unforgivable. I finally beat it using save states - saving after I defeated each boss - and I don't ever see myself getting through it I one sitting on original hardware. (I have beaten Battletoads, and that is another brilliant NES game that would have been greatly improved by a password feature...and the bump system, of course.)
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:11 pm

There needs to be a DLC for BMZ that sets it up so you're a midget riding a giant during the vehicle parts and just a midget during the on foot parts. It can be called Master Blaster Master.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming