Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

@markies I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Conker. I loved the game as a youth and found only one major issue with the game and that dealt with the rock club.

I found the game to be visually enjoyable filled with sharp humor and varied, well designed gameplay. Everyone has their own tastes and I get that it just didn't click with you.

As for your feelings towards banjo kazooie... that is a shame. That game is almost perfect for me as a 3d platformer and still stands up as being a great game for a whole slew of reasons.

Again... not knocking the problems you had with the games, because clearly you did have a frustrating experience. We all go through games with different perspectives.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

You could always sell it and pick up a copy of Rare Replay if you want to keep a version in your collection and aren't going for a complete N64 set or anything.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Totally agree that Conker is a terrible game. I said as much in my DK64 review on the beaten thread a couple days ago, but that game is all style and no substance. You can really tell it was in development purgatory 5ever with their B-team. It is just so beyond fucked from a gameplay perspective. If it weren't so clever and unique with the writing, it'd be up there with one of the worst platformers on the system. Perhaps not worst games on the system, but it really genuinely a slog to play through, especially if you try to go back to an old area to do something after you forgot something (like going back to the farm when it's dark). There's a reason it's one of very few games that have tried to do such a cluster-fuck of genres together in one game: It generally doesn't work great Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I don't get all the hate for the game. I also feel it has some of the best split screen multi-player for the game mode, Beach alone. That mode is such an amazing level of fun.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:As for your feelings towards banjo kazooie... that is a shame. That game is almost perfect for me as a 3d platformer and still stands up as being a great game for a whole slew of reasons.

Oh, do you not get me wrong when it comes to Banjo Kazooie. I can see why people enjoy Conker as I am not the biggest fan of 3D Platformers and the humor is just not for me. Conker is just probably not for me and I was more frustrated then anything.

Banjo Kazooie is a GREAT game. I enjoyed it so much more and I think it is a better game than Mario 64. I will admit that it is frustrating at some points like with short time switches, loosing everything you collected and the final quiz level is just mean.

But, the colors, graphics, art style, story, game play, control and overall fun of the game is just top notch. For a PURE 3D Platformer, Banjo Kazooie is probably the best one. Rare frustrates me in general, but I know when they make a good game and Banjo Kazooie is a great game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.

I don't mean this in a smart-ass or pedantic manner, I'm being sincere here; did you experience any gameplay concepts in BotW that you've literally never seen in any other game before? Or did you mean "change" insofar as change to the classic 3D Zelda formula?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.

I don't mean this in a smart-ass or pedantic manner, I'm being sincere here; did you experience any gameplay concepts in BotW that you've literally never seen in any other game before? Or did you mean "change" insofar as change to the classic 3D Zelda formula?

No worries, that is an honest question. The answer is both. The brand new stuff I haven't experienced comes in the form of the basic tools given to you at the beginning of the game.

Stasis and Cryonis and magnesis are three powers that allow you to approach puzzles and combat scenarios in fun and exciting ways. With Stasis, you can stop stop the movement of any object for a period of time. This can be used to stop rolling rocks or obstacles, but the biggest use is for launching things.

By stopping time on an object, you can whack it to build up energy in it and have it rocket off in a direction when the effect wears off. This opens things up for a lot of creative approaches to solving puzzles.

With Cryonis, you are able to erect a pillar of ice from any water surface and can be used to erect barriers, or high ground in combat scenarios for a more dynamic landscape. WI think puzzles, you may not think it has many uses, but Nintendo does a great job in offering a lot of options in how to use it.

Magnesis is another power that I felt would be a simple idea. Magnetism isn't new but Nintendo does a great job of utilizing it in fun ways. If metal boxes are in an enemy camp, you can be assured that I will use it as a projectile of death and destruction to fling at the enemies.

The beauty is that I played it for 45 hours before deciding to moverify to the final boss and I barely scratched the surface of the game. I did so for a variety of personal reasons. not because I felt the game was full. At every moment when I felt that I understood everything I could do, I was proven wrong.

So yes, it is a mixture of new ideas and new ideas for zelda but not games at large.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

fastbilly1 wrote:1. Day of the Tentacle Remastered - PC
2. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide - PC
3. Final Fantasy VII - PSX

Since I am terrible at keeping this updated
4. Zelda Breath of the Wild - Switch
I logged 80 hours into the game before I beat it. I uncovered the entire map, completed just over 90 shrines, and who knows how many koroks. Immediately after beating the game I looked at the map and saw an open area that had no shrines in it and glided over to it, found a Hinox and a shrine. This is the first time since Morrowind that I have beaten a singleplayer game and felt like I still had to play it because I had not seen it all.

It is a hard game to review since it is what I have wanted in a 3d Zelda since they were created, but it was obviously hindered on the Switch due to it being developed for the Wiiu. That said it is probably the finest Wiiu game ever crafted. I do really hope that Nintendo learns from this and makes the next Zelda like BOTW but with a couple dungeons that sprawl like Hyrule Castle.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Stasis and Cryonis and magnesis are three powers that allow you to approach puzzles and combat scenarios in fun and exciting ways. With Stasis, you can stop stop the movement of any object for a period of time. This can be used to stop rolling rocks or obstacles, but the biggest use is for launching things.

The thing that kind of gets me with those is that they aren't usable with "any object". Relatively speaking, you can't use Stasis on most objects. They're not Gravity Gun level inclusions, but instead, still things that largely just get used to solve puzzles that were designed to be (or potentially be) solved with them.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

isiolia wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:Stasis and Cryonis and magnesis are three powers that allow you to approach puzzles and combat scenarios in fun and exciting ways. With Stasis, you can stop stop the movement of any object for a period of time. This can be used to stop rolling rocks or obstacles, but the biggest use is for launching things.

The thing that kind of gets me with those is that they aren't usable with "any object". Relatively speaking, you can't use Stasis on most objects. They're not Gravity Gun level inclusions, but instead, still things that largely just get used to solve puzzles that were designed to be (or potentially be) solved with them.

Yeah magnesis is not gravity gun level because it would completely break the game in a lot of ways and also ruin the purpose of stasis.